Starting My Z1 is Making Me Bald!!

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
20 Oct 2011 09:56 #484285 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Starting My Z1 is Making Me Bald!!

johnskzs wrote: I have a 'regulator' under my battery box. The picture is of a piece that was on the frame near the gas tank. You call this a 'rectifier'. Now when I looked up 'rectifier' it was refered to as a 'Regulator Rectifier'. As per the diagram, it shows a 'regulator' separate from the 'rectifier'. My question: Are they the same thing and if I have a 'voltage regulator' under the battery unit, do I still need the 'rectifier' shown in the picture? If they are indeed separate units, then do I go ahead and put the 'rectifier' piece back on the frame? thanx.........

They are both needed, and are not the same. The Rectifier is for changing the AC Voltage to DC Voltage. Then the Regulator limits the amount of DC Voltage to return to the system.
As suggested to replace, you would get a newer "Combo" unit where it is in 1 assy.
If you haven't figured it out yet, the terminals in a connector are removed from the same side the wire goes in. They have a small slot, where a stiff thin pick is inserted, to push down on a small looking tab. There are tools for doing this, or a Jewelers screw driver size flat blade will do.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2011 10:55 #484291 by jonnybravo
Replied by jonnybravo on topic Starting My Z1 is Making Me Bald!!
I got a used one off ebay for cheap $25 I think, much easier since i have no hair to pull out :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.