what are 'Bad Igniter' symptoms?

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
03 Feb 2011 20:42 #428287 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic what are 'Bad Igniter' symptoms?
bigbeardan wrote:

Hi guys! new member and came across this thread looking for answers to my probs. 81 kz550a just bought for 150 bucks and not running. PO said he thinks its the igniter box. he said coils ohm out fine and he not getting fire to the coils. i wanna check the pickup coils and igniter. i havent started my own diagnosis yet i just bought battery and put acid in and got it charging so just wanted to know where to start when get battery ready. so my ?'s are when checking the coil as in the quote does it matter what position the little thing that triggers the pickup coils is in when you ohm it? and what would be a good way to check the igniter? thanks for your input!!!

You may want to start a new thread, as it will deffinately get more responses.

My best advice is to get a good service manual for your bike. It will save you piles of $$$ and many hours of frustration.

I like to pull the coils off the bike to test them.

Get new wires and plugs, if they arent new.

More info should be along...

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2011 02:55 - 04 Feb 2011 02:57 #428314 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic what are 'Bad Igniter' symptoms?
TeK9iNe wrote:

bigbeardan wrote:

Hi guys! new member and came across this thread looking for answers to my probs. 81 kz550a just bought for 150 bucks and not running. PO said he thinks its the igniter box. he said coils ohm out fine and he not getting fire to the coils. i wanna check the pickup coils and igniter. i havent started my own diagnosis yet i just bought battery and put acid in and got it charging so just wanted to know where to start when get battery ready. so my ?'s are when checking the coil as in the quote does it matter what position the little thing that triggers the pickup coils is in when you ohm it? and what would be a good way to check the igniter? thanks for your input!!!

You may want to start a new thread, as it will deffinately get more responses.

My best advice is to get a good service manual for your bike. It will save you piles of $$$ and many hours of frustration.

I like to pull the coils off the bike to test them.

Get new wires and plugs, if they arent new.

More info should be along...

B)

As TeK9iNe said, it would be better to start a new thread/topic.

But the answer to your question about ohming the pickups: No, the position of the rotor will not affect the ohms reading of the pickups, as long as it does not move while you are ohming it, and there is no other moving metal near it.

There is a manual in my signature.
Pay attention to warnings about valve cover removal and installation!

I can give you more links etc when you start the new thread.
Last edit: 04 Feb 2011 02:57 by loudhvx.

More
04 Feb 2011 18:40 #428587 by bigbeardan
Replied by bigbeardan on topic what are 'Bad Igniter' symptoms?
THANKS! found my answers in the manual. i knew i needed one but just didnt have the cash yet. i have a manual for almost every vehicle i have ever owned, lol