No spark at the POINTS??

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2011 13:02 - 23 Jan 2011 13:02 #424738 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic No spark at the POINTS??
and remember touching a plug to a painted motor wont ground it, it gotta be bare metal
Last edit: 23 Jan 2011 13:02 by stonemaster.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bgmrc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2011 14:43 - 23 Jan 2011 15:02 #424773 by bgmrc
Replied by bgmrc on topic No spark at the POINTS??
i tested for spark with plus against the grounded outer side of the motor right next to the plug area, no paint there...its not my first time doing testing like this....i have many toys that have all required work at some point...just this amount of electric work has me stumped...like the igintion wired wrong i would not expect...but it was, and now my coil issue

its a learning curve...and now i know almost my whole bike...and that will never be a bad thing!!

so it is what it is...

I tested the coil seconday winding at the higest OHM setting...nothing

and yes the charger was hooked up durning all this...as the bike was ON for hrs at a time....and YES i will be replacing the battery when i get this worked out finally....

getting a coil and points..

Thanx for all the help everyone!!

REALLY
Last edit: 23 Jan 2011 15:02 by bgmrc.

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2011 15:02 #424779 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic No spark at the POINTS??
dude glad ur almost there wasnt trying to insult either u never know,
like I said when dealing with a PO bike its almost always more than one cause for the same problem

• bgmrc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2011 15:05 #424781 by bgmrc
^^hey bud totally was not thinkin that....as u are correct u do never know what someone know in their bag of tricks and its better to be sure then not be...

so again thanx

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
24 Jan 2011 08:54 #424947 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic No spark at the POINTS??
Keep us posted...

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• bgmrc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
24 Jan 2011 09:12 #424951 by bgmrc
^^will do...
still in recovery from the xmas shopping...so not sure when the 100bux for coil and cap will be done....

but i will let yall know whats up

• bgmrc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
31 Jan 2011 07:26 #427337 by bgmrc
I'm just trying to get you to check the points operation, the circuit from points to coil. Not saying you have this problem, but, I have seen the wire post on the points have the insulator miss assembled, even a new set had this before. But it only takes a minute to check that they are making and breaking contact at the coil terminal wire.
motor head ^^^^

SO i was checkin some things again...
and i seem to never get a break in power to the coil...i will first try this ohm test with the ground and blue wire at the coils ground...
the points r used to make and break the power to the coil...correct?.....and this is done to get the coils power to go from primary(when powered) to the secondary winding when power is cut by the points and sent to the spark plugs...
Thats all how it works right..?

i cheked power at the yellow/red and blue for the coil and the power never stops....its always powered...no matter if the points r touching or not...checked it many times and its always ON...

so im getting no break which would lead to the coil never going to secondary winding...

Why would this happen?

i reset the points gap and cleaned them up nicely...i get a lil spark when i pull the points apart....but there is power down there all the time...even when not touching

thanks!

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
31 Jan 2011 07:38 #427342 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic No spark at the POINTS??
Remove the wire from the points set in question, then with key on and plugs out of the motor and grounded to the head,touch/ scratch the end of that wire to ground. You should see spark. If not check that wire for short to ground, also you can use a test wire in place of the wire in the harness, hook it to the coil and do the scratch again, spark? Then if not he wire it is the points set. Either the contacts are no good, or the insulating washers at the wire connecting post are not correct.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• bgmrc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
31 Jan 2011 07:46 #427343 by bgmrc
Thanx brotha!!

will do that again to make sure...90% sure i got nothing from that...

will try the jumper to coil also...

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
31 Jan 2011 08:23 - 31 Jan 2011 08:25 #427350 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic No spark at the POINTS??
bgmrc wrote:

the points r used to make and break the power to the coil...correct?.....and this is done to get the coils power to go from primary(when powered) to the secondary winding when power is cut by the points and sent to the spark plugs...
Thats all how it works right..?

Yes. Each component should be checked individually. Plugs, caps, plug wires, coils, wiring, points, condensors, grounds. Or just get all new stuff.

There are several different methods to checking points ignition for proper operation. Using the service manual for your bike helps alot. :)

STOLEN :laugh:

Most times, the heel of the points are worn and the points and condensors should be replaced. Especially if they are the stock equipment. Same goes for coils...

Best of luck.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Jan 2011 08:25 by TeK9iNe.

• bgmrc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
31 Jan 2011 08:49 #427357 by bgmrc
HEY THANX FOR THAT...CAPS..again...

yea so i think im havin a fiber washer/grounding issue...im always grounded...points have been dis'assembled..and i think they are set up wrong..ill grab new set off z1

ill do the remove the blue wire and scrape it on the block test to see if coil is bad also

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
31 Jan 2011 09:20 #427377 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic No spark at the POINTS??
That's the way, get a new set of points & Condenser, I've always believed in replacing them both. Check the coil, & if you can afford it a new one will be best, a Dyna will deliver hotter spark. I can't remember if you have new plugs, but all of that could be ordered at the same time to even out the freight costs, Air/ Oil/ Fuel filters etc.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...