Dyna S DS2-1 Installation Tutorial by OMR

More
13 Jun 2009 23:06 - 13 Jun 2009 23:26 #298967 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Dyna S DS2-1 Installation Tutorial by OMR
wiredgeorge wrote:

Dave - Good job but I want to point out a couple of things... first the smaller bolt head on your crank end is not 13mm... it is 14mm. You might want to mention for the newbie to use a socket on the 17mm nut because it is thin and most open end box wrenches will slip off and ding the 2/3 pickup (I know this for a fact hehe). Also, there is never a need to slot the back plate. The reason you could only get within 1/8" of where you need to be in timing is that they don't set the two pickups when assembling. When you can't get the timing on because the plate won't rotate far enough, loosen the LEFT pickup and move it counter-clockwise on its two little allen bolts. You will have to move the 2/3 pickup as well later to make it 180 degrees away from the 1/4 pickup. In fact, when you buy one of these things, it doesn't hurt to set up the pickups yourself before you even mount the thing rotating the 1/4 pickup counterclockwise a bit. Last, there are three different advance mechanisms (timing) for the 903/1015cc family and at least one of these doesn't reach full advance till it gets a bit past 3K rpm so the Dyna recommendation to rev the engine to 2.5K rpm to set the timing with a strobe light should be 3500 rpm instead.

Don't forget George's tip on moving the left pickup over so you won't start slotting the plate for no reason. Another way is too install the plate all the way counter clockwise as far as it goes then check timing and find you have to move the pickup over anyway!
Last edit: 13 Jun 2009 23:26 by nads.com.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Old Man Rock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Jun 2009 08:16 - 14 Jun 2009 08:17 #299042 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Dyna S DS2-1 Installation Tutorial by OMR
As mentioned previously, WG tip wouldn't work where the sensor mounting screws would just barely touch the sensor plate to even get it close but not on the "F" mark. There just wasn't enough rotations in this manner to dial her in.

Had to slot in my case and seems others have had to do this as well... Again, I contributed to advancer unit and camshaft selection in my case, can;t speak for others.

Then set sensor 1 (1/4) for "F" mark @ 1000...
Then set sensor 2 (2/3) for "F" mark @ 1000 by adjusting sensor mounting screws ever so slightly.

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 14 Jun 2009 08:17 by Old Man Rock.

More
05 Nov 2017 05:26 #774244 by High-Voltage
Replied by High-Voltage on topic Dyna S DS2-1 Installation Tutorial by OMR
i've had the same issue you describe in your guide.

instead of slot the plate, i rotate it, and mount the two magnet on the other face.

this is the result ;)

Attachment not found

Capita solo le prime volte poi ci si abitua