WG Coil Mod - How hard is it to accomplish?

More
02 Dec 2015 04:25 #701507 by 650ed

KZQ wrote: .......The best thing about the coil mod is that it's easy to take off after you find it doesn't help.

+1 Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2015 08:35 #701546 by 80B4
The best thing about the coil mod is it works. I've been using relays for powering high load circuts for years and I have always had good results.

1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750

More
02 Dec 2015 10:15 #701574 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic WG Coil Mod - How hard is it to accomplish?

80B4 wrote: The best thing about the coil mod is it works. I've been using relays for powering high load circuts for years and I have always had good results.

And I have been replacing defective relays for about 30 years...... they work great right up until they fail. :lol:

Funny it was the fan control relay that failed on my brand new Chevy on the hottest day of the year (105 degrees in Sacramento) and caused my car to start overheating.

I run a relay on mine that opens the lights when the starter cranks but the "coil relay" thing is a fix for a problem that is in the wiring harness or connectors.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

More
02 Dec 2015 11:04 #701588 by 80B4
I live in Cincinnati and corrosion is an ongoing problem with my older motorcycles electrical systems. I can only about 2 years between cleanings of the high load circuits if I don't install relays. If the circuits loose more than .5 volts, its time to clean things up. With the relays I am able to go much longer between cleanings. My FJ1200 was cleaned 14 years ago and still shows over 96% of battery voltage at both the headlight and coils(.3 volt drop). My YZF600 was cleaned 8 years ago and is just this fall I found it loosing .2 volts between the battery and the headlight & coils. My batteries last about 6 years, my bikes always start very quickly, my horn is always loud and my headlight does not dim when I have to sit at a red light. Do what you want, just don’t tell me that relays are not worth the effort.
Yes, my bikes are parked inside and yes I do carry a spare automotive relay on each bike. I have also found that some of the problem with my older bikes electrical systems is due to the design of the ground side of the high load circuits. My FJ has one single 14 gauge ground wire that attaches to the frame that has to handle all of the loads. My headlight and ignition systems get their own 12 gauge ground wire that ends at the negative terminal of the battery.

1980B4 1000
1978 Z1R
1978 B3 750

More
03 Dec 2015 14:22 #701758 by milesotoole
Replied by milesotoole on topic WG Coil Mod - How hard is it to accomplish?
Thanks for the advice everyone. I see both sides of the coil mod issue. Personally, I'm willing to put in a few hours cleaning / replacing connectors. If it becomes a huge PITA, having to be done repeatedly in quick succession, I'll consider the mod.

I appreciate the help!

I'll start a new thread if I can't figure out the 1/4 throttle issue on my own. Only happens when it's cold.