WG Coil Mod - How hard is it to accomplish?

More
21 Aug 2008 19:14 #233370 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic WG Coil Mod - How hard is it to accomplish?
HerrDeacon, great photo diary. :)

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2008 19:24 #233375 by shanecrow99
Replied by shanecrow99 on topic WG Coil Mod - How hard is it to accomplish?
Awesome writeup! Just in time too, I will be installing the WG mod this weekend. Installing new 3ohm coils (Dyna) and spark plug wires (also Dyna). I can't wait!!

• KOOL RYDER
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
22 Aug 2008 08:58 #233446 by KOOL RYDER
Replied by KOOL RYDER on topic WG Coil Mod - How hard is it to accomplish?
Herr Decaon:

From what I can tell this is at least the second pictorial you have completed. IMO this has added a lot of clarity around how to perform the coil mod.

Thanks for taking the time to document your work.

Gents, Herr has also done some fantastic work building his seat, and had also supported that work with a great photo montage.

In the future if anyone asks about the hard start up / sooty plugs symptoms - mention the WG Coil mod and send them to this thread.

I am going to the Canadian tire to try and find the necessay parts for this upgrade.

One last question before I endevour to complete this work, is the fin type auto fuse better or the traditional glass tube fuse ?

Any opinions?

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST

More
02 Sep 2008 08:03 #235111 by civilengr3
Replied by civilengr3 on topic WG Coil Mod - How hard is it to accomplish?
I just did the coil mod this weekend. Very simple, took me about 1.5 hours to complete, from a complete novice when it comes to electrical.
B4 I started, I had 8.3V coming to the coils, and I had a heck of a time getting the bike to start, even when it was already warm. Forget using the start button; I'd kick it about 10 times to get it started cold, and 3-5 times when it was warm.
When I finished I have 11.5V at the coils, almost a 40% increase in voltage. And starting it this morning, I bumped the starter button and it fired right up! Oh my bike is so happy! BTW, it cost me about $40 altogether, since I had none of the wires or connections.

1977 KZ650C
East TN

More
02 Sep 2008 09:24 #235126 by harm
We don't have Canadian tire stores here. We have Autozone and Advanced auto. At Autozone he found a relay but said he didn't have a pigtail. Is there some part numbers available for the relay and pigtail?

Thanks!

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

More
02 Sep 2008 09:42 #235130 by civilengr3
Replied by civilengr3 on topic WG Coil Mod - How hard is it to accomplish?
harm wrote:

We don't have Canadian tire stores here. We have Autozone and Advanced auto. At Autozone he found a relay but said he didn't have a pigtail. Is there some part numbers available for the relay and pigtail?

I went to both places; neither had a pigtail. I used standard female plug-in connectors. The ones I got, the one end was the shrink tubing stuff so it makes a waterproof connection. I coated the female to relay connections with dielectric grease to give it better corrosion resistance. With this setup, I didn't even need to solder anything.

1977 KZ650C
East TN

More
02 Sep 2008 10:22 #235134 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic WG Coil Mod - How hard is it to accomplish?
The following websites sell relays and pigtails for the WG relay mod.:
1. www.waytekwire.com
2. www.mcmelectronics.com
3. www.partexpress.com
4. www.delcity.net
5. www.alliedelec.com

Just a small listing of what is avaiable on the net.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
01 Dec 2015 13:24 #701413 by milesotoole
Replied by milesotoole on topic WG Coil Mod - How hard is it to accomplish?
super old thread, I know, but I am thinking I might need to do this on my '80 kz440 (sooty plugs). Anyone know what the results inded up being? With the age of the thread, maybe the guy's son could comment....

Thanks

More
01 Dec 2015 14:59 - 01 Dec 2015 14:59 #701438 by 650ed
Before you fiddle with a coil mod have you performed a full tune-up? When is the last time you replaced the points, checked the valves, synced the carbs, etc. ? Sooty plugs could be caused by any number of things. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 01 Dec 2015 14:59 by 650ed.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
01 Dec 2015 15:04 #701441 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic WG Coil Mod - How hard is it to accomplish?
almost unthinkable that a new member would go 7 years back without stumbling on the more obvious reasons for rich mixture.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

More
02 Dec 2015 02:28 #701489 by milesotoole
Replied by milesotoole on topic WG Coil Mod - How hard is it to accomplish?
Ha...sorry guys, I shouuld have given you the low-down. I've done everything I can think of except for syncing the carbs. That's on the agenda for this weekend.

I got the bike in fantastic cosmetic condition but not running. It currently runs well after doing the following over the past few weeks:

- Set and cleaned points (they look good so I dind't change them) - checked timing and it was spot on.
- carb rebuild and cleaning (they weren't bad, actually) removed all jets and emulsion tubes, adjusted float height to within 5 mm, got
pilot screws adjusted as well as possible.
- replaced carb boots and clamps - no leaks when tested with starter fluid
- ensured that stock airbox was attached properly. I actually have to use duct tape to seal it on there as it was slightly damaged by a
P.O., but it is all original and I have an oil-wet foam filter on it. It draws pretty well through the two intake holes, so I think it's good.
- adjusted the valves
- checked tank / petcock / fuel line / filter and all was nice and clean and working properly. I put in a new filter and fuel line just in case.

Each step caused the bike to run a little better. As it is, the plugs, especially the right one, get sooty even though I think the bike is running fairly lean (will rev higher when choked even after warmed up). It's not smoking or anything.

I'm looking at other opetions for the sooty plug issue and for a remaining hesitation at 1/4 throttle or so. I'll start another thread on that though.

What I've accomplished so far is largely due to the guys on this forum, and I really appreciate having all this info available. Thanks so much!

-

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
02 Dec 2015 04:22 - 02 Dec 2015 04:25 #701505 by KZQ

milesotoole wrote: Ha...sorry guys, I shouuld have given you the low-down. I've done everything I can think of except for syncing the carbs. That's on the agenda for this weekend.
...I'm looking at other opetions for the sooty plug issue and for a remaining hesitation at 1/4 throttle or so. I'll start another thread on that though.

It's good that you're going to keep looking. For what it's worth the coil mod is a bandaid solution to only one problem. That's voltage drop between the battery and the coils. Turn on the ignition | Check the voltage at the battery | Check the voltage at the coils | The voltage difference should be somewhere less than a half a volt.
If the voltage drop is more than a half a volt you've got two options, clean all the connections between the battery and the coils or do the coil mod. When cleaning the connections don't neglect the ignition switch.
The best thing about the coil mod is that it's easy to take off after you find it doesn't help.
Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
Last edit: 02 Dec 2015 04:25 by KZQ.