Throttle Cable(s) Adjustment

More
03 Jul 2019 13:07 #806922 by Rick H.
Throttle Cable(s) Adjustment was created by Rick H.
I hate to follow-up with another post so soon, but I have a bit of a quandary going on. I want to adjust the throttle cables on my 1977 KZ-1000 and in the manual it speaks directly to the throttle cable bracket and stopper. I have the required "play" in the throttle grip, but per the manual it states to close the grip completely at which time there should be no gap between the cable bracket and the stopper (on the pulley I assume). Regardless of how I adjust the cables, even shortening them completely, but only at the throttle housing, I can never obtain zero clearance between the stopper and the bracket. The only way for me to the stopper to contact the bracket is if I push down on the bracket which is spring loaded but it takes quite a bit of force to do this. The manual states that if you can't obtain zero clearance you should replace the cable bracket. All well and good I suppose, but I can't find a cable bracket anywhere. Can someone enlighten me as to what I am doing wrong if anything? I have even gone as far as to take the idle adjustment screw out completely so it doesn't interfere with anything, but the stopper still won't come to rest against the bracket. Thanks for any help on this.

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
05 Jul 2019 10:49 #807011 by jlaudiofan
Replied by jlaudiofan on topic Throttle Cable(s) Adjustment
Are you able to adjust them at the handlebar?

1980 KZ650F

More
07 Jul 2019 04:27 #807104 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic Throttle Cable(s) Adjustment
yes I am able to adjust at the handlebar. I have not tried to adjust the cables at the bracket on the head, but I can't get the pulley "stopper" to contact the bracket when turning the throttle all the way off.

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
07 Jul 2019 05:28 - 07 Jul 2019 06:04 #807108 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Throttle Cable(s) Adjustment
I think Steve is right. You need to properly bench synch the carbs.

What I do is as follows:

1) back the idle screw right off.
2) verify the correct limits for slides at full open and full closed.
3) completely unscrew the synch adjuster screws.
4) turn the synch screws back in until they just touch the ball on the end of the chromed arm. At this point your slides should be open about an eighth of an inch or more.
5) adjust your idle screw until is just touches the adjusting tab
6) begin turning in your synch screws. Turn each in the same amount...watch your slides to make sure none of them bottoms out.
7) As you get close to proper gap (0.5 mm) tighten up the nuts on the top of the synch screws. But not too tight.
8) Make final adjustments with each synch screw.
9) Your idle adjust screw should now operate correctly.

This site contains a lot of good information on Mikuni carbs.

aloh.co.uk/renovation/

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
Last edit: 07 Jul 2019 06:04 by hardrockminer.

More
07 Jul 2019 16:10 #807135 by Rick H.
Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate the help.

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Jul 2019 16:35 - 07 Jul 2019 16:37 #807139 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Throttle Cable(s) Adjustment
If you have the throttle stop screw at the 1/2 way point you should be able to lower the slides to get.7mm clearance as called for and be able to adjust the slides as needed to obtain a good idle.
If you have a lead carb (non adjustable) you'll set it to spec and make the others the same.
Steve
Last edit: 07 Jul 2019 16:37 by SWest.

More
08 Jul 2019 02:57 #807153 by Rick H.
Okay, so if I understand all this correctly, I have to take the carbs off the bike and do a bench sync on them before I do anything to the throttle cables themselves with trying to get proper adjustment. I guess this makes sense so one has a starting point for the cable adjustment. The service manual doesn't say anything about doing a bench or mechanical sync in regards to doing a proper cable adjustment though. I was simply trying to get the throttle to get to the point where the "stopper" contacts the cable bracket as called for in the cable adjustment section when you forcefully close the throttle. I can never get this to happen on my bike even with the idle adjustment screw completely removed. Supposedly you want this contact between the stopper and bracket to protect the carburetor linkage when you roll off the throttle, at least that is what it says in the manual. What I don't understand is the manual states if you can't get contact between the stopper and the cable bracket you should replace the bracket. In any event I will not be able to do any of this for the next three weeks as I am away from home. Thanks for the help though. I will do a mechanical sync when I return home and go from there.

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest