Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Fuel Issue?? 23 Mar 2019 11:28 #800907

• HNewDawnKZ550LTD
  • HNewDawnKZ550LTD's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes the carb rebuild kits came with new needles and seats. the seats appear to be the same exactly as the old ones. the switch from a fiber type sealing washer on the originals to a aluminum type like a oil drain plug. the needle however in the new rebuild kits seems to be about an 1/8 inch longer and when I mount a new seat and needle in to the carb and then the carb right next to it I put a old needle and seat in and did a side by side and the needle sticks about 1/8 inch out more on the new seat as opposed to the old needle and seat setup. So I switch them all back top the old needle and seat setups and no adjustment to float height yet, and they all 4 still pissed out of that jet hole. So my next thing to do at the garage today is to uncap the 2 float bowl vents I capped, and to uncap the overflows and then ima see what happens.

Yes I had to push the float all the way up into the bowl to stop the flow of fuel when I tested the flow with no bowls on. there is a flat portion in the float bottom before it kicks up and that was way past 90 degree angle to the flat bottom of the carb body. I feel like it should be almost 90 degrees to each other.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fuel Issue?? 23 Mar 2019 12:01 #800908

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 656
Post a pic of the needles side by side.
Is the float tang level with the hinge ? bent up or down from level? Again a pic would help.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Fuel Issue?? 23 Mar 2019 12:38 #800911

• HNewDawnKZ550LTD
  • User
Working on the pics guys my garage is not at my house so I have to go there and it has been a busy Saturday thus far. But pics will come very soon!

Also the float tang is bent very slightly down on all the floats the same. It is not exactly level with the hinge. This is how it has been since I got the bike, and like I said before the rebuild there was not one issue. Suspecting it was bent down ever so slightly to allow the float to rise higher for the optimal height I assume...….

Fuel Issue?? 23 Mar 2019 12:49 #800913

• Warren3200gt
  • User
If there was no issue before with old needles overflow and now there is with the old needles in what has changed?
99% of the time tangs are bent slightly up.
Sounds like a wet test is definately needed.

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

Fuel Issue?? 23 Mar 2019 13:10 #800916

• HNewDawnKZ550LTD
  • User
YES fluid test is a definite will post up with the results in a bit.

Also that is what is blowing my mind......i literally took the floats off inspected em for defects and never touched the tangs i put the new seat and needle in the hole and then its pissing out gas all back together. So took it back off and put the old needle and seat in (which it never leaked before with em) and same story so it literally blew my mind!!! lol

But will post up with a fluid test and some pics here in a bit! Sit tight guys and THANKS SO MUCH for all the direction!!!!!

Fuel Issue?? 23 Mar 2019 13:33 #800917

• Warren3200gt
  • User

Fuel Issue?? 23 Mar 2019 14:44 #800923

• HNewDawnKZ550LTD
  • User
WOW!!! That helps out SOOO much thanks a TON man! I need to look more into site...…..your the second person to provide me with link to it and the first link helped a ton so again I thank you as well sir!

Fuel Issue?? 23 Mar 2019 15:49 #800926

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
No hoses connected to the carbs should be plugged. Period.
I don't really see where the Dynojet instructions say to plug them.
The only things that get plugged are on the intake manifolds and valve cover. Each manifold has one pipe. Those four pipes get capped. They are used for syncing the carbs. The two big ports on the valve cover get capped or you can connect a hose from one to the other.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Fuel Issue?? 23 Mar 2019 18:43 #800941

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
On some carbs, it's possible to inadvertently install the float mechanism upside down, which doesn't close the float valve and thereby allows continuous fuel flow into the carb bowl.

An overflow circuit can be clogged somewhere between the tip of the overflow tube and the escape nipple exiting from the bottom of the float bowl. Or the hoses attached to the escape nipples can be clogged, kinked, or disintegrated at the discharge end. And the discharge hoses should of course be positioned so as to allow only a downward flow.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Fuel Issue?? 27 Mar 2019 17:02 #801146

• HNewDawnKZ550LTD
  • User
Yea these were definitely only one way to install this float that I can see.

So sorry for the abscense I have been pretty busy lately.....But got my issue figured out...…so let me finally post some pictures!!!

The first picture is of the needles. The new needle is on the left that came with my rebuild kits made by a company call Keyster. The old is on the left. Noticable difference obviously.

Second picture is of the valves/seats. New one on left again and old on right with their respective needles installed so you can see externally the valves are the same just about. The seats inside whichi could not get a good picture because of how small it is and the lighting was different on each. Explasinign why the needles were different. You can see even tho the new needle is shorter from the pic above once installed in the seat like in this picture it is taller but bout 1/8 inch maybe a 16th.

Next two pictures are my micrometer measurements of each valve/seat. Identical externally just about like i said.

Then the next two mic measurements are of the same valves/seats but with the different needles and you can see the measurement difference.... SO i concluded that since the needle was taller on the new setup then my float height was indeed messed up, as most of you said........

NEXT picture is of my float installed with the old needle and valve. You can see how it is hanging down somewhat....according to what i read seems to say a good guess of a dry height would be almost 90 degree to the flange of the bowl....SO I'm a bit off of course..... I adjusted it to a dry setup of just about 90 degrees to the flange as you can see in the LAST pic of this post, and it worked prefect. Not a drop of gas leaking anywhere!!!

SO wanted to thank you guys soooooo much for all the help, expertise, patience, and links to helpful information!!! Ill be hanging around this site awhile I do believe!!! ;)

Fuel Issue?? 27 Mar 2019 17:02 #801147

• HNewDawnKZ550LTD
  • User
NOOB mistake of the last picture from the above post that I didn't post of my corrected non leaking float height lol...….
Attachments:

Fuel Issue?? 27 Mar 2019 18:24 #801149

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I'm really glad you figured it out.

I know this doesn't help you now, but the TK22 website does mention the rebuild kit's needle disparity issue and how to check/correct it.
This is the same link Warren3200Gt linked earlier.
s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/TK22mainPage/TK2...stmentsAndMaint.html

It may be helpful to peruse through that site when you have spare time.

Last edit: by loudhvx.