Fuel Issue??

More
23 Mar 2019 08:44 - 23 Mar 2019 08:46 #800891 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Fuel Issue??
Thanks!

My water suggestion was to look for leaks while the carbs were assembled, but the bowl removed on the leaky carb. Since you had success on 3 of the 4 carbs, there is likely something different on the leaky one. If 3 of the 4 didn't need any adjustment, then it's strange that the 4th one would be so leaky. With the bowl removed, using water, you can see if the water is leaking through the needle port, or around the base of the needle seat. To do that, connect a water bottle to the fuel line and see where the water leaks out when you press gently up on the float to seal off the fuel valve.

If it keeps leaking through where the needle is, then the needle or seat have a burr or are not mating correctly. If the water leaks out around the seat, then the seal is bad or the seat or carb has a burr, or possibly the body is cracked.

EDIT: after reading the above post (posted while I was typing) I can't say for sure if plugging the vents would cause that leakage issue or not. Plugging the vents will play games with the fuel level but I wouldn't have expected such a strong flow as to create a stream of fuel out of the air jet.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2019 08:46 by loudhvx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2019 08:44 #800892 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Fuel Issue??
You still have a leaking seat.

• HNewDawnKZ550LTD
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Mar 2019 09:14 #800895 by HNewDawnKZ550LTD
Replied by HNewDawnKZ550LTD on topic Fuel Issue??
Okay I will reassemble and check float heights and unplug those ports and see what happens. Will post after I am done with this.

More
23 Mar 2019 09:18 #800896 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Fuel Issue??

baldy110 wrote: You still have a leaking seat.

Agree. Plugging the vent ports won't cause the fuel to overflow.

I've seen aftermarket float bowl gaskets foul the float like mentioned previously. You might want to make sure the bowl gasket doesn't overhang the edge of the carb and protrude into the bowl area. I'd encourage you to do the clear tube test too. That's the real test. Dollars to donuts you have something keeping at least one float seat from sealing. Is the tank clean?

• HNewDawnKZ550LTD
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Mar 2019 09:49 #800898 by HNewDawnKZ550LTD
Yes the clear tube test is definitely on the agenda!

Yes the tank is clean. It was cleaned and coated and petcock rebuilt by previous owner and I inspected them before purchasing.Gas Has been flowing perfectly fine and nice and clean before I rebuilt them. Also have clear fuel and vacuum lines on it as well as a clear fuel filter and all are spotless not even a speck, and no leaks what so ever.....vacuum or gas, besides from the main jet port on the front of carbs. All the carbs were spitting the same nice round strong flow of gas from that main jet port. The air jet leading to the main jet chamber is what my manual calls it.

More
23 Mar 2019 10:15 #800900 by Warren3200gt
Replied by Warren3200gt on topic Fuel Issue??
What I cant get my head around on this thread regadless of floats, needles and seats, why isnt it flowing out the overflow hoses before coming out the jets? It doesnt make any sense.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

More
23 Mar 2019 10:34 #800901 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Fuel Issue??

Warren3200gt wrote: What I cant get my head around on this thread regadless of floats, needles and seats, why isnt it flowing out the overflow hoses before coming out the jets? It doesnt make any sense.

Because he had the overflows plugged, thinking they were vacuum ports.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
23 Mar 2019 10:37 #800902 by loudhvx

HNewDawnKZ550LTD wrote: ...switched the petcock to pri (PRIME) to fill the bowels in order to start the bike. After a second or so I have fuel spitting out of the mouth of the carb. ...

Your very first post led me to believe this leak is only happening on one carb because you say "carb" rather than "carbs".
Can you confirm if all four carbs are doing this, or is it only one carb?

As Warren said, it is puzzling if you are not getting fuel from the overflow pipe or hoses. That should happen before it starts spitting from the air jet. I assumed the leak was so bad that you were also getting fuel from the overflow tube. Can you confirm that one way or the other?

More
23 Mar 2019 10:41 #800903 by loudhvx

TexasKZ wrote:

Warren3200gt wrote: What I cant get my head around on this thread regadless of floats, needles and seats, why isnt it flowing out the overflow hoses before coming out the jets? It doesnt make any sense.

Because he had the overflows plugged, thinking they were vacuum ports.

He described the plugged hoses as vents, which from his description is what they are. I don't think he was referring to plugged overflows, although they could also be plugged.

The TK22 has the vents TEE'd so there are only two bowl-vent hoses. The overflows are independent, so there are four of those.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TexasKZ

More
23 Mar 2019 10:51 - 23 Mar 2019 10:51 #800904 by Warren3200gt
This thread would definately benefit from pictures!

Last edit: 23 Mar 2019 10:51 by Warren3200gt.

• HNewDawnKZ550LTD
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Mar 2019 10:58 #800905 by HNewDawnKZ550LTD
okay so the float bowl vents, the two nipples in between the carbs that were teed off previously I capped those off completely. Also all the overflows on the bottom of the carbs are capped off as well. The dyno jet instructions said to remove those hoses and cap them off. Nothing about the two float bowl vents in between the carbs however.

Also it was all 4 carbs leaking at the same time and same amount.

More
23 Mar 2019 11:06 - 23 Mar 2019 11:19 #800906 by Warren3200gt
Right so if the overflow hoses were not plugged then fuel would piss out of those NOT the jets, the between the carb vents should not be plugged. The overflow hoses should not be plugged.
Now you are looking at a simple fuel not shutting off into the bowl. I dont think your float needles and seats are the correct ones. You mentioned earlier that you had to lift the floats very high to stop fuel flow into the bowl. So again its either float needles/seats or floats, either not floating or the tang way out.
As its on all 4 carbs probability means its the float needles/seat are too short and the floats can not lift the needle high enough to shut off the flow.

Presumably you had new flaot needles and seats in the kit you bought. Compare the kit ones to the original ones you replaced.
Then put the originals back in.

Last edit: 23 Mar 2019 11:19 by Warren3200gt.