Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Carb to Manifold Boots installation. 11 Mar 2019 10:27 #800175

• WarrensKZ
  • WarrensKZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
How difficult is it to change the Carb-To-Manifold boots on a KZ650 with the carbs still on the bike?

Do the carbs need to come off completely?

I found a vacuum leak in the cylinder #2 connection boot from the carb to the manifold, which has been the source of plug fouling across all the cylinders, and poor fuel economy.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by WarrensKZ.

Carb to Manifold Boots installation. 11 Mar 2019 11:49 #800180

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2658
I'd pull the carbs so you can get an impact driver aimed at the screws. They can be a real bear to remove. A #3 phillips will get er done. You just need to find/make room to swing the hammer.

Carb to Manifold Boots installation. 11 Mar 2019 11:59 #800181

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 647
vacuum leak from the CARB to the MANIFOLD suggest the clips if fitted at all, are not tight. Is the Manifold split? where exactly is the leak? Does it actually need new manifolds? A leak in one carb rubber will not affect other cylinders. If anything, that one cylinder will run weak not rich. Or.... you could just throw some more money at it in the hope it will work rather than diagnosing and resolving the actual issue !:whistle:

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

Carb to Manifold Boots installation. 11 Mar 2019 12:03 #800183

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
Pull the airbox too. You might be able to use a universal attachment on the driver head and a long extension to get in there. It would help to have an extra set of hands to hold the bit snugly on the screw while you wack it.
Steve
Attachments:

Carb to Manifold Boots installation. 11 Mar 2019 13:43 #800186

• WarrensKZ
  • Visitor

SWest wrote: Pull the airbox too. You might be able to use a universal attachment on the driver head and a long extension to get in there. It would help to have an extra set of hands to hold the bit snugly on the screw while you wack it.
Steve

Appreciate it

Carb to Manifold Boots installation. 11 Mar 2019 13:47 #800187

• WarrensKZ
  • Visitor

Warren3200gt wrote: vacuum leak from the CARB to the MANIFOLD suggest the clips if fitted at all, are not tight. Is the Manifold split? where exactly is the leak? Does it actually need new manifolds? A leak in one carb rubber will not affect other cylinders. If anything, that one cylinder will run weak not rich. Or.... you could just throw some more money at it in the hope it will work rather than diagnosing and resolving the actual issue !:whistle:

Thanks for all the advice.

Carb to Manifold Boots installation. 11 Mar 2019 16:30 #800198

• WarrensKZ
  • Visitor

Warren3200gt wrote: vacuum leak from the CARB to the MANIFOLD suggest the clips if fitted at all, are not tight. Is the Manifold split? where exactly is the leak? Does it actually need new manifolds? A leak in one carb rubber will not affect other cylinders. If anything, that one cylinder will run weak not rich. Or.... you could just throw some more money at it in the hope it will work rather than diagnosing and resolving the actual issue !:whistle:

My intrepid son would not give up.

He pulled the coils off and tested them. This entire time the problem was the coils. After a 25 mile ride yesterday on new plugs. all four cylinder plugs were fouled rich, not oil fouled, carbon fouled. Weak Spark. Ive ordered Dyna coils. Problem solved.

Carb to Manifold Boots installation. 11 Mar 2019 17:26 #800201

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2658
Did you check voltage at the coils? It's quite common for resistance to build up in the harness which drops voltage reaching the coils, which can cause weak spark. The coils are actually quite robust. And be careful when ordering coils to get the right type. There are various types for good reason.

Carb to Manifold Boots installation. 11 Mar 2019 18:10 #800202

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
The green coils will work.
Steve

Carb to Manifold Boots installation. 11 Mar 2019 18:17 #800203

• WarrensKZ
  • Visitor

Nessism wrote: Did you check voltage at the coils? It's quite common for resistance to build up in the harness which drops voltage reaching the coils, which can cause weak spark. The coils are actually quite robust. And be careful when ordering coils to get the right type. There are various types for good reason.

Yes my son checked the voltage to the coils, and it was fine.

Its the coils themselves that are bad, and if they are what was originally on the bike, they are way way overdue for change.
Though they may have been robust, nothing lasts forever.

The Dynatek unit on the bike is the DS2-2

My son got these coils. Not sure if they are right, and its too late to call Dynatek. Who the hell knows if they are right. Like I said, proud of my sons, one is a gazillionaire from a tech endeavor loosely associated with Facebook. He actually gave me back the $500 I spent on the carbs. Left it under my tool kit after he left my house after sunday dinner with his fiance. Nice kids but they have too much testosterone!

Attachments:

Carb to Manifold Boots installation. 11 Mar 2019 19:44 #800206

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
I highly recommend the Wired George relay setup for voltage to the coils. It will give you full battery voltage at the coils. Just follow the link below.

www.wgcarbs.com/index.php/using-joomla/e...-categories/89-coils
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Carb to Manifold Boots installation. 11 Mar 2019 20:10 #800211

• WarrensKZ
  • Visitor

hardrockminer wrote: I highly recommend the Wired George relay setup for voltage to the coils. It will give you full battery voltage at the coils. Just follow the link below.

www.wgcarbs.com/index.php/using-joomla/e...-categories/89-coils

Thanks, but not really interested in that setup or spending my or my son's money on it. I want to keep this as simple as possible and as stock as possible in most ways.

Thanks.