Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1993 KZ1000p, BS34 Mikuni? 01 Dec 2018 01:51 #794423

• Jimbo302
  • Jimbo302's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I recently purchased a 1993 KZ1000P and am going through the carbs. I'm not familiar with this style, I believe they are CV Mikuni BS34 carbs.
I had planned on using my stock modded air Box, then recalled what a pain it was to install carbs with and contemplated pods. Im assuming pods are a no go with the CVs, though.
Any tips or tricks on the rebuild?

Pictures below:

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jimbo302.

1993 KZ1000p, BS34 Mikuni? 01 Dec 2018 20:04 #794463

• Jimbo302
  • User

Nessism wrote: zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/Mikuni_...Rebuild_Tutorial.pdf

That was a great read, thank you. It looks like these carbs aren't too much different than I have seen.

1993 KZ1000p, BS34 Mikuni? 02 Dec 2018 00:14 #794469

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

Jimbo302 wrote:

That was a great read, thank you. It looks like these carbs aren't too much different than I have seen.

That is a pretty good article. The part I do not agree with is there they instruct you to boil the carbs in pine sol... Ummm... NO. I tried that once years ago, and it turned those once shiny cast aluminum into dull grey funky looking carbs. Clean them up with it if you like, but rinse it off right away without the boil order.
Also Jimbo, these carbs were designed to use the air box. They really aren't too difficult to install, if you use the proper procedure. I don't remember where the info is at right now, but just read through the service manual on it. Not hard at all to put back on . Removing the air box and doing a bunch of other mismatched mods will turn a screamer into a sputtering and popping POS. All of the stock parts are engineered to work together. The fuel, exhaust and ignition. (solid core wires, resistor caps and non-resistor plugs).

Keep an eye out for those little springs and detent balls on the choke rod. The balls are just 1/8" hardware store items, but the SPRINGS are expensive and hard to find / replace if you loose them.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: hmmmmm

1993 KZ1000p, BS34 Mikuni? 02 Dec 2018 02:37 #794474

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 285
A lot of hoopla about pods vs airbox on here. Im more on the airbox side, though my CSR is fitted with pods (also BS34s,I believe) as the frame bracing cuts through where the airbox should go. I had no choice.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

1993 KZ1000p, BS34 Mikuni? 02 Dec 2018 05:10 #794476

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659

old_kaw wrote:

Jimbo302 wrote:

That is a pretty good article. The part I do not agree with is there they instruct you to boil the carbs in pine sol... Ummm... NO.

Pine Sol is "last resort". What else would you recommend if normal carb dip nor the Yamaha carb cleaner is available? And BTW, yes, boil too long with pine sol or lemon juice and the carb bodies will turn dark. They will turn dark with just about any type of cleaner I've found if you leave it long enough.

1993 KZ1000p, BS34 Mikuni? 02 Dec 2018 05:15 #794477

• Jimbo302
  • User

davido wrote: A lot of hoopla about pods vs airbox on here. Im more on the airbox side, though my CSR is fitted with pods (also BS34s,I believe) as the frame bracing cuts through where the airbox should go. I had no choice.

Any mods done to make them work?

1993 KZ1000p, BS34 Mikuni? 02 Dec 2018 06:12 #794478

• old_kaw
  • User

Jimbo302 wrote:

davido wrote: A lot of hoopla about pods vs airbox on here. Im more on the airbox side, though my CSR is fitted with pods (also BS34s,I believe) as the frame bracing cuts through where the airbox should go. I had no choice.

Now that's funny! They seemed to work pretty good to make it 84K miles. and star on numerous episodes of "CHIPS" with Eric Estrada chasing criminals. lol

Normally just getting a bike that rough back in running condition doesn't need 'mods" to make it run right, it just needs to be as "right" as it was when new.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Barry1

1993 KZ1000p, BS34 Mikuni? 02 Dec 2018 06:25 #794480

• old_kaw
  • User

Nessism wrote:

old_kaw wrote:

Jimbo302 wrote:

That is a pretty good article. The part I do not agree with is there they instruct you to boil the carbs in pine sol... Ummm... NO.

Pine Sol is "last resort". What else would you recommend if normal carb dip nor the Yamaha carb cleaner is available? And BTW, yes, boil too long with pine sol or lemon juice and the carb bodies will turn dark. They will turn dark with just about any type of cleaner I've found if you leave it long enough.

So I take it you have done the boil method on numerous carbs, with different chemicals? Since you only get one chance to screw up any given expensive and hard to replace part,I tend to error on the cautious side cut my losses at one set.

Last resort? Just a good cleaning with mineral spirits and a parts brush is a good start. Just like any part, clean it up. Boiling is unnecessary, and it removes the sealers used to coat the porosity in the cast metal. Old gas turns into varnish and crud. Lacquer thinner, brake clean or carb spray will cut varnish. Squirt the cleaners through all of the passages. Heating a bread tie to strip off the plastic coating will give you a thin wire that can be used to poke through those pesky little holes, and follow up with brakleen, then compressed air.

Of course the carb dip works as advertised. Or at least it used to. I had a 5 gallon bucket with metal basket at one point, I still have the metal basket that I use quite frequently still.

I polished all of the brass parts that I could too, since it all had that brass "gangreen" that it gets over time.

And I replaced the rubber booties on the choke (enrichment) plungers. Polished the plungers and all of the small o-ring sealing bores with my dremel tool and a small polish pad.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Attachments:

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: add pics

1993 KZ1000p, BS34 Mikuni? 02 Dec 2018 12:21 #794494

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 285

Jimbo302 wrote:

Yes.rejetting was needed, but I also had 1070 pistons fitted and a 4into1 with a race baffle,so the original setup was never going to cut it. I did cop out though and take the bike to be set up properly on a dyno. No way I would have been able to do it myself.
It does fart and splutter a bit but it feels smooth and seems to idle well so far,though I still havent given it a good thrashing to settle everything in yet (thatll be next year)
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

1993 KZ1000p, BS34 Mikuni? 02 Dec 2018 14:30 #794496

• old_kaw
  • User

davido wrote: It does fart and splutter a bit but it feels smooth and seems to idle well so far,..

I may be going out on a limb here, but from my understanding.. these CV carbs with the vacuum diaphragm that is ported in the back of the carbs is designed .. AKA engineered as a specific unit to function as an assembly, and do not function properly without the air box, and the restriction of the air cleaner. it hurts overall drivability, because the slides do not open properly without the air box restriction. This system was designed by Japanese engineers, I assume at Mikuni, I assu-me. Take special note on page 77 of the rebuild tutorial power point link that Nessim posted.

"•The bike will run very poorly, or not at all, without the airbox installed. The airbox also needs to
be properly sealed, so consider replacing any deteriorated foam seals as needed.
•If pod air filters are installed the carbs will have to be rejetted to match the low restriction
airflow. A header may also trigger the need to rejet, but not to the extent pods will. Dynojet kits
are a popular choice. "

**extra special note.. the dynojet kits I saw run around another ~$130.00. Peanuts for most. Just one more thing to pay for in order to defeat OEM components. that are already there.

This mod causes tuning problems., spitting and sputtering.

I am sure it could be compensated for using the pods, possibly by downsizing the diaphram air metering jet in the back of the carb. Although it also has 3 other carbs next to it also pulling a vacuum on the same air box, where as the pods do not.

it was not just some random air claner that Kawasaki built their redesigned motors around.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Attachments:

Last edit: by old_kaw.

1993 KZ1000p, BS34 Mikuni? 02 Dec 2018 14:52 #794500

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
With proper jetting CV carbs will run well with pods. Like all pod equipped bikes they can be sensitive to crosswinds and rain though.