VM24 carburetors float needle?

• gordone
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
22 Jun 2018 09:15 #785651 by gordone
Replied by gordone on topic VM24 carburetors float needle?
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

martin_csr wrote: I would do the service fuel level check using clear tubing. hold the tubing high up beside the carb body & open the drain screw. then lower the tubing a little. check the fuel level. lower the tubing again. check the fuel level again. etc. After opening the drain screw, if you raise the tubing, start over.

Here are some JetSki float valve assys that appear to be very similar to the VM24s.
In the description are the part numbers 16030-2066 (JetSki part number) and 16030-1001 (KZ650 part number).

I have ordered 4 of these, incorrect do you mean? wrong type ?

1981 KZ650-D4, with 1981 z750L engine (Wiensco 810 big bore).

Project:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/607213...sr-1981-z750l-engine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2018 09:16 - 22 Jun 2018 09:18 #785652 by Warren3200gt
Replied by Warren3200gt on topic VM24 carburetors float needle?
You have ordered the correct parts.
Those jet ski valves may look similar in a picture but probably have different flow rate.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Last edit: 22 Jun 2018 09:18 by Warren3200gt.

More
22 Jun 2018 09:25 #785653 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic VM24 carburetors float needle?
It is a bit difficult to suggest things when I usually am disagreed with so will take part in this forum going forward. Keep in mind that I have been doing carb professionally for 13 years and have rebuilt over 1500 sets in that time. Find the "vintage bike forum" and I will try and answer/help anyone interested. Thanks for your understanding.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
The following user(s) said Thank You: gordone

• gordone
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
22 Jun 2018 09:28 #785654 by gordone

Warren3200gt wrote: You have ordered the correct parts.
Those jet ski valves may look similar in a picture but probably have different flow rate.

I understand, cross my fingers the flow will not change and I need to re-jetting.

Thank you and all again.

Project:

More
22 Jun 2018 10:13 - 22 Jun 2018 10:15 #785655 by Warren3200gt

wiredgeorge wrote: It is a bit difficult to suggest things when I usually am disagreed with so will take part in this forum going forward. Keep in mind that I have been doing carb professionally for 13 years and have rebuilt over 1500 sets in that time. Find the "vintage bike forum" and I will try and answer/help anyone interested. Thanks for your understanding.

I for one respect your input and knowledge george. your input would be missed.

Last edit: 22 Jun 2018 10:15 by Warren3200gt.

More
22 Jun 2018 13:54 #785666 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic VM24 carburetors float needle?

wiredgeorge wrote: It is a bit difficult to suggest things when I usually am disagreed with ................. Thanks for your understanding.

I do understand, but please consider the following....

Even though some may disagree, most folks that read your advice recognize that you are a pro and who is not taking the time to provide advice unless the advice is accurate. Most of those folks that didn't post the original question (including me) don't necessarily acknowledge the fact that you have provided good advice from which they may benefit. Consequently, it may appear that your advice has not been particularly helpful except perhaps to the original poster with a question. However, that really is not the case since many of us learn things from your postings even though we may not acknowledge it. In fact, sometimes we may not even realize we learned something. I hope you will continue to participate in this board. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: gordone

More
22 Jun 2018 14:45 #785670 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic VM24 carburetors float needle?
I suspect at least some of wg's complaints are with me. I disagree with him about the quality of aftermarket carb kit parts, more specifically in this case about K&L float needles/seats. In another thread here about cleaning carbs I said to clean and reuse the original OEM jets and he said no, just replace them with aftermarket.
To each their own but I stand by my opinion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JR, SWest

More
23 Jun 2018 00:55 - 23 Jun 2018 02:16 #785695 by Warren3200gt
A business view from wg who presumably has stocks of parts would be different to an enthusiasts view who doesn't and has to go spend time and some hard earned on jets etc. Not saying wg hasn't spent for his stock but if new is freely available off his own shelf why go to the bother of cleaning and re using what may be worn parts / jets?

Horses for courses guys. neither is wrong, just different starting points.

Last edit: 23 Jun 2018 02:16 by Warren3200gt.

• gordone
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
23 Jun 2018 04:21 #785699 by gordone
Maybe we can agree, OEM is the safe way to take... after-marked can be almost same quality, but often not and in some cases better, but not often ? :)

I went for OEM now just to clear away variables I don`t need in the troubleshooting.

I`m working with troubleshooting at work, and its always good to remove variables you don`t need.

You use more money, but save time ?

Project:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 Jun 2018 06:50 #785711 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic VM24 carburetors float needle?
I bought what I thought were Mikuni 125 main jets for my 33mm Miks from the local Yamaha shop. Had to order them and wait a couple days. I put them in and the bike bogged at 1/4 throttle so I pulled them out and compared them with the genuine Mikuni jets I had. THEY'RE DRILLED DIFFERENTLY. I the got some Mik jets from Chaparral and they worked great. The ones I had were drilled so I couldn't tell what size they were.
Just a subtle difference can mean getting there or not. At least I know which direction I'm going up or down. :whistle:
Steve

More
23 Jun 2018 07:45 #785715 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic VM24 carburetors float needle?
I have been wondering how long it would take this time. I guess I know.

I suspect that perspective is partly responsible for the discord and hurt feelings here.

If I rebuild one or two sets of carbs using Uncle Bubba' Fabulous Jets, and I have success, I will surf the 'net singing this companies' praises.
If, on the other hand, somebody who has rebuilt 1,500 sets of carbs with UBFJ parts, and two rebuilds went well and all the others failed, that person will troll the 'net saying harsher things than I do about the company

Clearly what WG does works, else he would no longer be in business and he would be flamed everywhere in the etherworld. Does this mean that his way is always the only way? No. Does it mean that he is never mistaken? No. Should all of us be able and willing to engage in conversation about things we disagree on? I certainly hope so, because that is an important and effective way for all of us to learn. It should never be personal. If I disagree with a post or have an alternative solution, I should be able to clearly state my position and provide the evidence that led me to that place. Likewise, the other poster or posters should have ample opportunity to defend or modify thier position. At no point should this become personal. It is not about me or the other individuals involved. It is about jets or oil or tires, not personalities. Evenso, some folks have much confidence and thick skins, others do not. Sometimes we react personally, often not even realizing it.
Folks like George and Larry Cavenaugh and APE Jay have more experience and knowledge than a bunch of the rest of us combined. They also have businesses to run. I know that most of us deeply appreciate what they bring to the table, and we know that they helped make KZR what it is.
Perhaps we should let them know more often than we do, even when we disagree.

I realize this is a hijack, so if the moderators want to move this elsewhere, I fully understand.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• gordone
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
01 Jul 2018 08:34 #786211 by gordone
Had a longer tour today, and bike behave so different :) respond quick to throtle and have much more power in low and midle range. Goes good in whole RPM range....

Seems like my unstable problem has been wrong needle / float height..,,

I’m so happy now :) need to start prepare new weekend tour :)

Thank you all for your inputs!! :)

Project: