Setting float levels Wet Method

More
08 Mar 2018 13:16 #779939 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Setting float levels Wet Method
If your shop is in a basement this may not be a solution, but if you're working in garage, here's my simple solution. I mounted four old intakes on an L shaped bracket. I clamp the bracket on a small wheeled shop cart. When I have to work with gas (float bowl adjustments) I roll the cart out into my driveway. It may be hot/cold/wet, but it beats burning down your garage or house. You sure can't find a better well ventilated area. I do use a plastic tub as a catch basin under the carbs.
I didn't get to fancy with an elevated tank and petcock either. I taped a barbed fitting into the cap of a plastic 1 gal gas jug and attached a 1' section of fuel line. I have a double barb fitting on the end of that line. Plug the line into your carb's fuel line and hold the can tilted above the carbs until the float bowls fill. Set the can back down on the cart and take your reading. I can also hold the jug lower than the carbs and at least drain all the gas in the fuel lines back into the jug before disconnecting. I use this same setup as a fuel source for doing carb syncs. I position the cart next to the bike and set the can on it's side. If I need to stop the fuel for any reason I just set the can upright.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2018 13:28 #779940 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Setting float levels Wet Method
I don't think smothering a gas fire is really practical. It's probably not going to be a small little flame like from a carb back fire. If you somehow ignite even a small puddle of spilled gas, it's going to be a big and instant WOOSH! My neighbor dumped a half a cup (he claimed)of gas on a brush pile he wanted to burn. I heard and saw a 30 ft high mushroom of fire from 100 yards away. He sure looks funny with no eyebrows.

More
08 Mar 2018 14:44 #779945 by Dr. Gamma
Replied by Dr. Gamma on topic Setting float levels Wet Method
I think you are going a bit overboard on the risk of igniting small amounts of gasoline. I have worked with different fuels in my garage since back in the early 70's. Just use some common sense when working with flammable fuels and other liquids. No open flames, lit cigarettes, or even a gas hot water heater in your work area. Try not to make ant type of sparks when you have open gasoline around. Have adequate ventilation. And just in case have a few fire extinguishers in your area, and know how to use them!!!! You shouldn't have any problems. Just use your head.

I have always had a few containers of race gas in my garage, and at times when I had money, a 55 gallon drum of it!!! If you think gasoline is flammable, you should work with MEK!!!!

Here is whats in my garage right now as far as fuel.

I don't use pump gas except in my car.

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Attachments:

More
11 Mar 2018 12:35 #780070 by kevski
Replied by kevski on topic Setting float levels Wet Method
You may want to have these on standby, just in case the half a pint of gas goes up.
Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Mar 2018 13:34 #780071 by SWest

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
11 Mar 2018 17:39 #780084 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic Setting float levels Wet Method

Dr. Gamma wrote: ... or even a gas hot water heater in your work area. ...

That's our major issue.

99% of our carb work is during winter months. Heated basement workshop with a standing pilot in the water heater. We're not going to "ventilate" when it's well below freezing outside. Gasoline vapor being heavier than air, we don't want to take a chance on a vapor explosion. That scenario is what prompted us to experiment with alternative liquids for wet float adjustment.

We also have three liquid-rated fire extinguishers in the basement. Common sense.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.