Correct carburetor mount?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Sep 2017 09:38 #771086 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Correct carburetor mount?
The CV carbs are more forgiving of elevation changes.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackumi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2017 12:05 #771095 by Mcren
Replied by Mcren on topic Correct carburetor mount?
I am curious to see how the PO has those manifolds bolted to the head. I am sure you've seen the thread I started where Lou explained his procedure for getting the tk-22 carb manifolds adapted for motors that used tk-26 carbs. The Tk-26 carbs and Tk-22 can be distinguished by the round tops (TK-26) while the tk-22 have ribs going down the side of the carbs .

When you can post a few more pictures of the bike

1983 KZ550- A4
Attachments:

More
17 Sep 2017 13:39 #771100 by blackumi
Replied by blackumi on topic Correct carburetor mount?

Mcren wrote: I am curious to see how the PO has those manifolds bolted to the head. I am sure you've seen the thread I started where Lou explained his procedure for getting the tk-22 carb manifolds adapted for motors that used tk-26 carbs. The Tk-26 carbs and Tk-22 can be distinguished by the round tops (TK-26) while the tk-22 have ribs going down the side of the carbs .

When you can post a few more pictures of the bike

I'm guessing they swapped engines to maybe the 81, because the mounts that are installed definitely look original.

I read through your thread as well, mcren, and my holders are not modified whatsoever. I checked for leaks with carb cleaner and they don't seem to be leaky, I was just gonna replace them for good measure.

Yeah maybe I'll search for a set of CV carbs in the future, but I'm gonna stick with these for now since they're already tuned for the bike and the pod filters.

I'll try to take some today or tomorrow. The weekends are reserved for my lady and I have all my fun during the week heh

Thank you everyone

1983 GPZ 550
1986 Toyota Corolla AE86

More
17 Sep 2017 19:24 - 17 Sep 2017 19:32 #771124 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Correct carburetor mount?
Yes, on closer inspection of his avatar, it is possible it is a 1981 Kz550D1 motor (all of the gpz motor cases start with "Kz550D" so the serial number won't necessarily tell you unless you can cross reference the number to a known set of years).

Notice in the avatar the ends of the valve covers look to be silver. The 82/83 and later Gpz were all black. Only the 81 gpz had the silver ends on the valve cover. So maybe someone swapped the entire motor. However, the sprocket cover looks like a later one. I think the earlier ones were more rounded.

So basically, blackumi, you can treat your engine as if it is a 1981 Kz550D1 gpz, with possible some parts from a later motor. The engines, internally are pretty much the same, with the only exception being the intake ports are bigger on the later motors (You cannot put the CV carbs on the early motor). The valve cover gasket will be different for the slightly different shape, and possibly the oil pan gasket will be different.

Also, the older motor uses an oil-pressure sensor, whereas the newer motor uses an oil-level sensor. So there must be some issue with the oil light circuitry, as I don't think they are directly swappable, electrically.
Last edit: 17 Sep 2017 19:32 by loudhvx.

More
19 Sep 2017 07:52 #771222 by blackumi
@loudhvx I haven't gotten to take anymore pics, but I can confirm that my valve covers have silver ends.

Okay I'll check out what's up with the oil level/pressure sensor wiring. Gotta see what's up with my tachometer as well since that mysteriously stopped working while I was putting the tank back on.

1983 GPZ 550
1986 Toyota Corolla AE86

More
19 Sep 2017 08:05 #771225 by loudhvx
The tach wiring should go to the right hand coil (assuming no one swapped them). And yes, it's easy to mess up the wiring under the tank while reinstalling the tank.

More
19 Sep 2017 13:32 #771247 by riturbo
Replied by riturbo on topic Correct carburetor mount?
Yup that makes more since . You have the right carbs .Looks like you have an 81 engine . 81 motor should have a tack cable . They must have plugged the hole with something .Must have hooked up the tack wires from the 83 . One of my 81 has a newer motor never could get the tack figured out .

Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

More
19 Sep 2017 15:08 #771257 by blackumi
Hmmm I'll look into that and see if maybe the cable slipped out (if installed).

The tach was working before I had the tank off so I probably just rustled a jimmy or two upon install.

Man you guys are active, I joined another Kawi forum and they're deader than dead over there. Still haven't replied to my thread about the carb mounts over there haha

1983 GPZ 550
1986 Toyota Corolla AE86
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

More
19 Sep 2017 18:22 #771274 by riturbo
Replied by riturbo on topic Correct carburetor mount?

blackumi wrote: Hmmm I'll look into that and see if maybe the cable slipped out (if installed).

The tach was working before I had the tank off so I probably just rustled a jimmy or two upon install.

Man you guys are active, I joined another Kawi forum and they're deader than dead over there. Still haven't replied to my thread about the carb mounts over there haha

If you have the 83 gauges it runs off a wire to the coil . 81 had a cable that ran off the cam shaft

Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

More
20 Sep 2017 09:53 - 20 Sep 2017 10:03 #771297 by blackumi
Yeah the gauges are definitely original 83. I see the spot where the cable would go on the engine.

I'm also getting a fast idle issue, but I'm assuming that some of that is coming from leaky intake manifolds. I sprayed around with some carb cleaner and 3/4 of them are leaking slightly.

1983 GPZ 550
1986 Toyota Corolla AE86
Last edit: 20 Sep 2017 10:03 by blackumi.

More
05 Dec 2017 15:16 - 05 Dec 2017 15:18 #775612 by blackumi
The plot thickens.

Rather than make a new thread, I figured I would update this one with some new findings.

So I finally got around to glancing at my engine number and it seems I've got a "KZ550A4". Googling that doesn't seem to come up with anything that I can see on my work computer, so what exactly is this engine from??

Pretty sure it's not a gpz engine, as my understanding is that those engines are "KZ550D/H"

BTW, I installed the new carb boots, fully deleted the vacuum valve, replaced the exhaust gaskets and new plugs with some general clean-up. She runs great and I've been riding her for a solid 2 months with no problems (with the exception of some oil leaks)

1983 GPZ 550
1986 Toyota Corolla AE86
Last edit: 05 Dec 2017 15:18 by blackumi.

More
05 Dec 2017 15:44 - 05 Dec 2017 15:53 #775615 by loudhvx
The Kz550A4 was a standard dual-shock Kz. It is different from the first three standards (A1, A2, and A3). The difference is that it uses the 2nd generation Kz550 motor. This means it has larger ports, squared-off fins and valve cover. The ports are larger because the 2nd gen motor uses Tk26 CV carburetors. The first gen used smaller Tk22 carbs.

Externally, the motor looks much like a Kz550H Gpz motor, but the crankcase serial number will say Kz550A. The first Gpz550 was a Kz550D1. All gpz550's used Kz550D crankcases, that includes the Kz550H and Zx550A Gpz's.

The Kz550A4 used 2nd generation Tk26 carbs. The Kz550H (gpz) used the first gen Tk26 carbs.
This website will show some of the differences:
gpzweb.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.co...ge/TK26mainPage.html
Stock jetting is different in the two versions, and the jet kits are different as well.

The main difference in the Kz550A4 motor from the H model is that it did not have an oil cooler. It also used lower comp pistons (9.5:1) and used the standard cams. The H model gpz used the same cams as the D1 gpz.
This page shows more than anyone wants to know about Kz550 cams:
gpzweb.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.co...KZZXZR550500400.html

You can put Tk22 carbs on the motor if you modify the first-gen intake boots, as described earlier (or in another thread).

Can you post some photos of the motor? It's hard to guess from the tiny avatar photo. To me it looks like someone put a Kz550D1 (Gpz) top end onto a Kz550A4 (Standard) crankcase. but some decent photos of the intake and motor in general could put it to rest.
Last edit: 05 Dec 2017 15:53 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC