Correct carburetor mount?

More
05 Dec 2017 16:09 #775618 by blackumi
Replied by blackumi on topic Correct carburetor mount?
Gotcha covered when I get home. Hmm that is possible that they used a gpz top end.

I was actually looking at your page with the info on the different camshafts. I havent had my volve covers off for a peak inside yet, and my intake boots required no modification to bolt up.

I'll take some photos when I get home in about an hour and a half

1983 GPZ 550
1986 Toyota Corolla AE86

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2017 20:42 #775625 by blackumi
KZ550AE is what it says, I'm always scatter brained at work lol.

1983 GPZ 550
1986 Toyota Corolla AE86

More
05 Dec 2017 22:05 - 05 Dec 2017 22:24 #775628 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Correct carburetor mount?
Your avatar made the cylinders look black, but the whole motor appears silver. That would be consistent with a Kz550C (Ltd) or Kz550A1toA3 (Standard). An A4 block and head would look very different. The crankcase, based on the numbers and no oil-cooler also indicates an A or C motor. C motors came with an A crankcase.

One part of your motor that doesn't match the rest is the sprocket cover. Only the Gpz covers had the extra boss for the rear set shift lever arrangement, though I think it can be added to any motor. Your sprocket cover is more angular which would indicate it's probably from the H model Gpz.

So based on the new photos, I'd have to guess your motor is from a Kz550C (Ltd) or from a Kz550A2 or A3 (Standard). The Kz550A1 motor would have had a 1-phase stator and points. If you have either of those, then it's likely an A1 motor. But it would be easy to change those items so an A1 wouldn't be ruled out.

The carbs could be from any C model or A1-A3 model. They could even be from an 81 D (Gpz) but with the black paint stripped off.

A look inside the valve cover would tell you if you have Gpz cams. The pistons would be harder to identify.

Someone probably blew up the Gpz motor then swapped in a used Kz motor but retained the rearset shifter.

I'm not aware of an engine number identifying website, but it may exist. That would likely narrow it down further. A4 seems unlikely. Someone would have had to add an earlier block and head onto an A4 crankcase for that crankcase to be an A4.

The top of the valve cover can narrow down the year a little better. The air injection caps are slightly different on the earlier years versus the later years of the first gen motors.
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Dec 2017 22:24 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC, blackumi

More
07 Dec 2017 08:07 #775696 by Mcren
Replied by Mcren on topic Correct carburetor mount?
I agree, comparatively speaking the A4 valve cover has a more chamfer edge versus the fillet style edges on the early gens... even the ignition cover on the right side appears to be from an earlier A/C model. Definitely not a A4 engine. The subtle differences in the air injection ports that real interesting!

1983 KZ550- A4
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackumi

More
07 Dec 2017 08:38 - 07 Dec 2017 09:22 #775699 by loudhvx

Mcren wrote: I agree, comparatively speaking the A4 valve cover has a more chamfer edge versus the fillet style edges on the early gens... even the ignition cover on the right side appears to be from an earlier A/C model. Definitely not a A4 engine. The subtle differences in the air injection ports that real interesting!

I thought so too. Why would they need to change that? Maybe to get more clearance somewhere?
The confusing thing is that the parts fiches seem to all show the early type even when a bike came with the newer low-profile type, so I can't identify exactly which bikes had which part. Maybe I need to look at the part numbers.
EDIT: The kaw fiches only list two part numbers. One for black and one for silver for all A/C/D models even the A4, which has the newer stype valve cover.
11012-1192 black reed cover
11012-1193 silver reed cover
(The A4 fiche is actually A3/A4 and shows both using the same valve cover, which is wrong.)

The 83 Kz550H2 shows the new style reed cover.
11012-1213 black reed cover

I can't find a number for the new style reed cover in silver on any bike fiche.
The 83 Kz550M1 shows the new style reed cover in silver, but lists the old number (1193).

The 83 Kz550F1 shows the new style reed cover in gold.
11012-1257 gold reed cover
But in addition, it has another drawing showing the 3rd generation valve cover (as found on the Zx motors) with the multi-part reed assembly. But it doesn't list part numbers for those, so it may be an error in the drawing.

But, then the 84 Kz550F2 shows the 3rd gen valve cover with newer reed cover, but lists the old number (1193).

So using the parts fiches for reed cover identification is almost impossible.

All I can say is the newer style is far more common and may have started to show up even in 1980.
Last edit: 07 Dec 2017 09:22 by loudhvx.

More
07 Dec 2017 11:58 #775709 by blackumi
Mine definitely has silver reed covers. Also definitely has the close ratio 6spd transmission.

Haven't been in the garage since I took those pics lol, so I haven't popped off the valve cover to peak at the cams yet.

I'm betting that it's got the gpz cams installed. I'm not sure how the other 550 engines feel, but mine starts coming into the power right around 5.5/6krpm and pulls strongly all the way to 10krpm

1983 GPZ 550
1986 Toyota Corolla AE86

More
22 Dec 2017 11:36 #776498 by blackumi
Seems like I learn something new about this bike everyday.

So I'm looking for an oil leak last night, and down by the clutch cover area I see "KZ750L" engraved on the block just above the oil pan gasket area.

Is it possible that one case half is from a 750??

1983 GPZ 550
1986 Toyota Corolla AE86

More
22 Dec 2017 23:14 - 22 Dec 2017 23:17 #776532 by loudhvx

blackumi wrote: Seems like I learn something new about this bike everyday.

So I'm looking for an oil leak last night, and down by the clutch cover area I see "KZ750L" engraved on the block just above the oil pan gasket area.

Is it possible that one case half is from a 750??

No. The blocks, heads, and crankcases are different.

But it could be the transmission cover 14025-011 is used on 750's and 550's, but if they have the same part number I wouldn't expect Kawasaki to engrave the motor size onto the cover. I will check one of my 550 trans covers when I get a chance.

The 550 and 750-fours can share ignition covers as well, but they will look different and have different part numbers.

Probably have to post another photo so we know what part the engraving is on.
Last edit: 22 Dec 2017 23:17 by loudhvx.

More
23 Dec 2017 13:13 #776559 by Daftrusty
Replied by Daftrusty on topic Correct carburetor mount?
If you guys are referring to the transmission covers, then yes, a 750 cover can be used on a 550. But it would not be advisable.
The 550 and 750 use almost identical covers except the 550 has a recess at the top that slips over another dowel pin in the engine case.
I even used a oem 550 gasket on my 750 when I changed over my shift return spring. ( I had 2 extra 550 gaskets and no 750 ones left.) I just trimmed off the extra dowel pin bit at the top once the cover was bolted up.

Attachments:

More
23 Dec 2017 15:33 #776563 by loudhvx
Maybe later ones were different, but the early ones, according to Kawasaki, had the same part number.

More
23 Dec 2017 17:31 #776569 by Daftrusty
Replied by Daftrusty on topic Correct carburetor mount?

loudhvx wrote: Maybe later ones were different, but the early ones, according to Kawasaki, had the same part number.

Once again you are correct. Upon further research, it looks like the early 550's had no extra dowel.
It appears when they switched from pushrod to lever clutch actuators, they added the extra dowel in the cover.

This is the cover I have from a 1984 gpz550. It is the same cover for the gpz550, zr550 and zx600.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, blackumi