KZ1000 P Runs Fine, Then Heats Up and Stalls?!

More
25 Jun 2017 18:26 - 25 Jun 2017 18:49 #765379 by bl_francis
My motorcycle is running pretty well but I still have a few glitches to work through. Maybe you all can help me out again.

When I pull the choke out all the way to start it cold it will start but revs super high until I put it at about ½ choke. I’ll let it run at ½ for a few seconds, turn the choke off and it idles nicely.

I took it out around town this morning, just taking it easy and everything was working fine. I didn’t want to be too far from home in case something went wrong. Everything was great and there was hardly any smoke coming from the engine:

kzrider.com/forum/2-engine/605922-gasket...kz1000-police#765063

I went out again this afternoon when it was a bit hotter (80 degrees F). So, of course, I got a couple of miles out of town and power is seeping away and when I turn the throttle nothing happens.

I pulled off to the side of the road, the bike stalled and the oil light came on. I tried to start it but no dice. I sat for a bit and the oil light went out (I had checked the oil before I left).

After a few minutes, I primed the engine and pulled the choke out all the way and it started. I t was still revving super high until I put it to ½ choke, and then to none. I beat it home at fast as I could and it lost power and stalled right as I came into town. I waited again and after a few minutes the oil light went off, I started it and I limped to my garage.

Any ideas? Thank you again in advance.

1987 KZ1000 Police
Attachments:

MyMovie-Large.mov

Last edit: 25 Jun 2017 18:49 by bl_francis. Reason: Add movie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2017 19:07 #765383 by Patton
Would suspect that valve clearances are not within specs (meaning they're too tight).

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
25 Jun 2017 19:10 #765384 by bl_francis
Replied by bl_francis on topic KZ1000 P Runs Fine, Then Heats Up and Stalls?!
I really hope that's not the problem. I just spent a bunch of hours at top dead center, sourcing and switching shims. Checked and double-checked.

1987 KZ1000 Police

More
25 Jun 2017 19:32 - 25 Jun 2017 20:11 #765387 by Patton
Okay -- moving to possible fuel starvation, which could result from several different reasons.

Is there ample fuel supply in the tank?
Tank vent clogged? (Try running with cap ajar which allows for ample venting).
Any crud inside the tank, possibly suspended in the fuel and collecting around the petcock pick-up screens so as to obstruct flow?
Petcock malfunction, or dirt inside?
Fuel line kinked or obstructed?
In-line fuel filter dirty?

If the petcock is vacuum-operated, is it receiving vacuum and opening to permit flow as it's supposed to?
Could test run with petcock in PRI position (which allows fuel flow absent any vacuum).

What sometimes happens is that an obstructed fuel flow (for whatever reason) dribbles enough fuel into the float bowls while the engine isn't running to permit starting and running normally until fuel level in the bowls gets too low, where the bike "runs out of gas." Going through the progressively leaner mixture while "running out of gas" could account for the heating before stalling as noted in the topic title.

Could test run with ample fuel in the tank, tank cap ajar, and petcock on PRI, to see whether the same symptoms persist. And if so, could disconnect fuel line at the carb intake tee to assure that ample fuel flow is available at the carb intake.

Is the stock air-box still fitted? Is the air filter fresh and clean? And unobstructed?

Sometimes a tank needs flushing to rid it of unwanted stuff floating around in there. Imo, the "fast dump" method is best, where the tank is removed so that it can be emptied quickly by turning it upside down and dumping contents out the filler hole. Add a little fresh gasoline -- or some common household rubbing alcohol -- slosh it around inside the tank, and you know -- re-dump it.

May also be a good time to remove the petcock from the tank in order to clean the petcock pick-up tube screens that stick up inside the tank.

Rusty tank interiors may require more aggressive measures.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 25 Jun 2017 20:11 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, bl_francis

More
26 Jun 2017 06:52 #765408 by bl_francis
Replied by bl_francis on topic KZ1000 P Runs Fine, Then Heats Up and Stalls?!
Thanks for the post. I will check it out tonight! How do you "unclog" a clogged tank cap?

1987 KZ1000 Police

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Jun 2017 06:58 #765409 by SWest
The following user(s) said Thank You: bl_francis