More pod news

More
10 Jan 2017 23:47 #751932 by 750 R1
Replied by 750 R1 on topic More pod news

daveo wrote:

Nebr_Rex wrote: Or is it because the design of the air box.
The center 2 cylinders have a straight shot from the air box plenum.
Versus the dog leg for the outside cylinders.
Sport bikes do not have that problem with a perimeter frame.

Considering to enlarge the filter hole, and replacing the stock air filter with a flat-panel type, similar to the one bandied about in the video.
Seems to me like that would create improved balance and less-restricted air flow into the plenum chamber for the air boots to draw from. :unsure:
Does this make any sense, or am I just chasing my tail?

The stock boxes are restrictive, if you can get more air in, it will help, ideally more volume is needed, like modern air boxes...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Jan 2017 06:46 #751950 by SWest

More
11 Jan 2017 07:46 #751954 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic More pod news

swest wrote: A pic before you cut it up?
Steve

It may be a while, but fosho :)

1982 KZ1100-A2

The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

More
19 Jan 2017 09:28 #752492 by daveo

swest wrote: Could be valve guide seals. Next time you have your carbs off stick your finger in the intake ports and see if any oil is on the valve stems.
Steve

Couldn't reach in that far, but the stems looked ok. There is carbon (I think) on top of the valves, some of which may not have been cleaned off before installing the head.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Jan 2017 11:29 #752494 by SWest

More
19 Jan 2017 13:51 #752499 by daveo

swest wrote: Use a paper towel.
Steve

Oh well, can't this time.
If you can zoom in on the second pic and look at the deposits on the valves, will that tell anything. I realize that fuel coming through tends to clean the intake tract, but wonder what that crusty looking black crap on the valves is. What is best to use to clean that stuff off while the bike is being ridden?

We have temps coming in the 50's forecast for this weekend, a heat-wave compared to the 40 degree fifty-mile ride today. :) Still had a blast though, with all the riding gear on!
Next week the temp trend starts heading downward again. :(

1982 KZ1100-A2

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Jan 2017 15:54 #752505 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic More pod news
With bad valve guide seals my intakes looked like that. The exhaust was NASTY. Think about it this way, the air/fuel coming in will wash away the crud but the oil is more viscus so it clinging on the hot valves will leave those deposits. Oil being in the mix will effect the jetting a little. I had to go down one jet size so the plugs wouldn't foul. Mine were really bad, yours not so much. B)
Steve

More
24 Jan 2017 12:46 #752822 by Kawboy74
Replied by Kawboy74 on topic More pod news
They look in the park to me with 1+2 a little darker than 3+4 but that may be because you drive on the wrong side of the road and get a little more wind on your right from passing vehicles. :laugh: Seriously though, I think you are very close and I would have it out on the road showing off that nice shiny engine cover you have!

1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada

More
28 Jan 2017 23:37 - 29 Jan 2017 05:35 #753159 by daveo

Kawboy74 wrote: They look in the park to me with 1+2 a little darker than 3+4 but that may be because you drive on the wrong side of the road and get a little more wind on your right from passing vehicles. :laugh: Seriously though, I think you are very close and I would have it out on the road showing off that nice shiny engine cover you have!

That $25 ebay engine cover started it all for me, Kawboy. It was the Chromeopathic cure I found for polisher's elbow, sadly contracted the day I stole the bike from an older man that couldn't push it anymore, rest his soul. :whistle:
Took the pic immediately below on 01/15/2012 just after it was installed, and boy was I geeked. :)

1839 days ago :ohmy:
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

1 day ago :)

Maybe this idea is krazy, but I'm now thinking of adapting the carb side of the air box to incorporate the 30mm aluminum velocity stacks and foam filters. :blink:
There would be enough clearance space behind the 30mm stacks for easy removal, leaving the modified air box in its original position in the frame, while the carbs are serviced or removed. The Ramair filters may be adaptable to form a seal against the air box face, covering one large opening cut into each side, eliminating the original tiny air boot holes.
Note how the angular shape of the Ramair foam filter is similar to that of the decorative chrome cover on the air box.
They could mate up nicely. :unsure:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Jan 2017 05:35 by daveo. Reason: Rearrange post

More
29 Jan 2017 11:33 #753200 by Kawboy74
Replied by Kawboy74 on topic More pod news
MMMM, interesting idea. Lots of mock up time coming up from the sounds of things. Might be a workable solution.
Good luck with that.

1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada

More
29 Jan 2017 14:29 #753214 by 750 R1
Replied by 750 R1 on topic More pod news

Maybe this idea is krazy, but I'm now thinking of adapting the carb side of the air box to incorporate the 30mm aluminum velocity stacks and foam filters.

Seen it done quite a few times, even seen vintage Race bikes here in AUS with similar setups, some afetrmarket carbs offer boots/stacks to suit the stock airbox...