1976 KZ900 A4 ........Where do the rubber O-Rings?

More
03 Nov 2016 19:30 - 03 Nov 2016 19:30 #747201 by Katums
I
Hello,

I'm looking at rebuild kits for the 26mm carbs, and there are 2 small rubber O-rings in the pictures.

In the manual I see 1, O-ring in the start/choke pump, but I do not see another rubber o-ring in the schematic in the shop manual. Would someone please let me know where these little guys go?

Thanks,
Ed

Attachment IMG_6204.JPG not found

1976 KZ900 A4
2003 Porsche Boxster S
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Nov 2016 19:30 by Katums.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
04 Nov 2016 05:05 #747217 by Nessism
That photo reminds of those from cruzinimage. I don't know what those O-rings go to and can't find any reference in the parts manual for them. Often times aftermarket carb kits are made for a range of different bikes and they throw in different parts to fit that oddball bike or two. Sometimes those kits have jets that don't directly match yours too. Before installing you need to carefully compare the numbers on each jet to your stock jets. Or better yet, just reuse the stock jets after a good cleaning because they rarely wear out. Purchasing an O-ring kit from cycleorings.com and some bowl gaskets is typically all you need to freshen up a set of carbs. If necessary, get new float needles and seats too. Purchasing a full carb kit is not typically useful though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katums

More
04 Nov 2016 05:37 - 04 Nov 2016 15:14 #747220 by martin_csr
I would check to see if your carburetors have an o-ring at the main jet bleeder pipe (needle jet holder). The diagrams at Partzilla don't show that o-ring in the drawing, but #52 at the drain screw is listed as the main jet cover o-ring & the part number is the same as the 650 main jet cover o-ring.

Or the o-ring could be for the drain screw or it's just a spare part as some kits cover a range of applications since the carburetors can vary from year to year.
Last edit: 04 Nov 2016 15:14 by martin_csr.

More
04 Nov 2016 05:57 #747224 by Katums
Thanks for your reply. I intend to reuse the OEM jets and seats and metal parts. I opened up #4 and the brass was bright and clean and all passages seem open. I did not find those black rubber O-rings upon disassembly, so I checked with you folks on the list.

There is crud at the bottom of the bowl, but overall, I was surprised to see clean jets. I'm going to manually clean each carb, rather than take them all apart and dip them. I'll renew the gaskets because there is a tear on one top cap gasket.

I also will renew the cap and bowl screws because they are rusty.

1976 KZ900 A4
2003 Porsche Boxster S

More
04 Nov 2016 06:01 #747225 by Katums
Thanks, I think you're right about extra parts coming in aftermarket kits.

The drain plug has a fiber, red gasket o-ring, and not rubber.

Thanks once again for your help.

Ed

1976 KZ900 A4
2003 Porsche Boxster S

More
04 Nov 2016 06:03 #747226 by Katums
Hmmmmm.....Fuel tees, maybe so, will investigate if I need to pull the rack apart.

Thanks again.

Ed

1976 KZ900 A4
2003 Porsche Boxster S

More
04 Nov 2016 07:21 #747229 by Nessism
The fuel transfer tube O-rings, those on the inlet Tee and the small tubes that move fuel out to the other carbs, are typically the ones that are the hardest and most crusty. I've rebuilt a number of racks where these O-rings literally crumbled in my hands when I flexed them to try to replace them. For this reason I strongly advise unganging the carbs and replacing the O-rings. It's not overly difficult so why not?

More
04 Nov 2016 11:45 #747253 by Katums
I'm thinking about breaking the carbs down completely to clean them in and out.

Thanks for the heads up on the transfer O-rings.

1976 KZ900 A4
2003 Porsche Boxster S

More
04 Nov 2016 12:27 - 04 Nov 2016 12:31 #747256 by Patton
I suspect the stock carbs have two "fuel pipe joints" which is Kawasaki's part name identification for what may sometimes be more commonly referred to as a tee fitting.

Stock fuel pipe joint

Sometimes the existing joints leak when the carbs are returned to service after extended dry storage.
After a while, the leakage often abates until it stops leaking, due to slight swelling of the raised areas.

But whenever leakage persists, one el'cheapo fix is wrapping the raised areas with Teflon tape, preferably the slightly more fuel-resistant yellow color tape.

Tape fix

Optional part with o'rings

If going to the trouble of separating the carbs enough to remove the tee fittings, might want to consider going ahead with brand new parts instead of the Teflon tape wrapping method.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Nov 2016 12:31 by Patton.

More
04 Nov 2016 12:41 - 04 Nov 2016 12:46 #747257 by Patton
I suspect that Katums doesn't need these pics, but here they are for other viewers that might be interested.

The vents exit to open air. Stock configuration is through hoses routed to underneath the seat where the hoses are held in place by a clip that's located on top of the air filter cap.

The pics don't include the air filter intake silencer, which has been removed to gain additional under-seat storage space.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Nov 2016 12:46 by Patton.

More
05 Nov 2016 05:33 #747321 by Katums
Thank you, sir. I will know pretty soon what leaks I have and don't have, but the machine has been sitting for over a decade. I will say, it is remarkably clean inside so far.

Thanks again.

Ed

1976 KZ900 A4
2003 Porsche Boxster S