Pilot jet sizing?

More
23 May 2016 07:00 #727999 by ajbonert
Pilot jet sizing? was created by ajbonert
Hello I am new to the sitr and this is my first post so give me a little break please. I recently bought a 82 kz550 and bobbed it out currently on the final stages of putting it back together and am having a few issues with the carbs. So the factory airbox wouldnt fit and I bought the dreaded pods because that was all I could do, I cut the rear section of the exhaust off so it is straight piped now. Well when I fired it up the first time it immediately revved all the way up and I had to shut it down. Did compression tests checked plug gaps checked plugs wires and capacitors and adjusted the adjustment screw started it up Did it again so I figured it was lean found out what size drill bits would work for a 104 main jet and for a 37 pilot jet. Now here is my question I went to drill out the pilot jet and it is supposed to be a 37 or in drill bit terms a #79 turns out once I stuck the but in there is was way to small and the but it actually takes to ream it out a little bit is a 63..to me this seems very large for a pilot jet and deffinatly isn't a factory size what could be my trouble? The bike ran perfect when it was bought and my thoughts would be if the jet was not correct it would run like shit or not at all. I know drilling isn't the best but I just started going back to school and can't afford anything right now so I'm doing what I can with what I got any help would be greatly appreciated. And the carbs are tk22s

82 kz550 bobber

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2016 19:53 - 23 May 2016 19:54 #728166 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic Pilot jet sizing?
Hope you are taking an English class. :woohoo:

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

Last edit: 23 May 2016 19:54 by Nebr_Rex.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 May 2016 20:29 #728171 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Pilot jet sizing?
You may have shot yourself in the food cutting off the pies and pods.
Steve

More
23 May 2016 22:26 #728179 by drmiller100
Replied by drmiller100 on topic Pilot jet sizing?
air leak? i have an 81 with rotted out carb boots. it does this.

also, idle speed set right? turn the idle down. throttle linkage has slack in it?

where is idle mixture screws at?

More
25 May 2016 10:39 #728475 by ajbonert
Replied by ajbonert on topic Pilot jet sizing?
there is no air leak the ive inspected them multiple times now. Idle speed is correct also and there is slack. So yesterday I had a Harley mechanic come over to give me some ideas and help a bit so I found that the vent hoses were capped off by previous owner and that the float levels had fuel to high (if I had to guess is that is how he overcame the vent hoses being capped off) started it up and it ran rather good for rpms wise but cylinder 1 and 3 aren't firing correct we did clear hose test have all three carbs perfect for level even swapped the pilots form the firing cylinders to see that and it did nothing changed coils also did nothing cylinder one we found the needle wasn't seating correct and the main was letting fuel by at idle so we fixed that but just cannot get all 4 cylinders firing together. I do not believe it is because of pods or pipes I know there is good spark and I know it is something fuel related on 1 and 3 yet ive tried adjusting air screws ive tried either to see if it was running to lean I tried blowing compressed air in the carbs to see if it was to rich while running and nothing

82 kz550 bobber

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 May 2016 16:15 #728535 by SWest

More
25 May 2016 20:47 #728587 by ajbonert
I'll go check them tomorrow thank you

82 kz550 bobber

More
25 May 2016 21:58 - 25 May 2016 21:58 #728594 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Pilot jet sizing?
If your pilots are drilled to a #63 bit, that is like a .94 mm size jet. Stock is .32mm. So your pilots are way too big. The main jet started as a 92, so it's even bigger than the stock main jet.

It's possible you are actually idling on the the main circuit, but either way, you will need new pilots to get the jetting correct.

Just curious... you mentioned capacitors. What are you referring to?
Last edit: 25 May 2016 21:58 by loudhvx.

More
26 May 2016 04:21 #728608 by ajbonert
I meant the little magnetic things by the advancer my manual referes to them as capacitors

82 kz550 bobber

More
26 May 2016 06:03 #728621 by loudhvx
Usually they are called pulsers, reluctor pickups, or reluctor coils... in case you need to look them up.

More
26 May 2016 06:09 #728623 by ajbonert
Alright thank you! And as for the carbs I mechanically adjusted them and got it running on all four now. Here is my problem #4 has a bunch of carbon buildup I know it's rich, #3 is wet in the exhaust but runs, #2 has less carbon then 4, and one is lean. If I lean up # 4 #3 and #2 they stop firing of I richen up #1 it stops firing any suggestions? The valves are all great spec wise

82 kz550 bobber

More
26 May 2016 06:15 - 26 May 2016 06:24 #728625 by loudhvx
You need to get a baseline list of what size jets you have, and what needles you have. Are the needles adjustable? If so, are they marked with a part code? Some Chinese knock-off kits have non-usable needles.

If the bike ran perfect when you bought it, what have you changed since then?
It's hard to believe the bike ran perfect with pilots drilled to .94mm. I never go above .37mm, and that's on a gpz.

Are you sure you are measuring the skinny part of the jet orifice?

Are the spark coils the original ones?

Did you ever have any of the spark plug wires off?
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 May 2016 06:24 by loudhvx.