need carb help

More
19 Apr 2016 16:49 - 19 Apr 2016 16:51 #721894 by Gregl
need carb help was created by Gregl
hey guys got ahold of two kz440D bikes for a cool 200 bucks. now im starting my first bike. so i need help. i want to put clamp on emgo air filters on the carbs but someone said i should re-jet the carbs. anyone have any experience doing this and can advise me as how to do it? imgur.com/Z2pJMAQ thanks for helping me reach my dream of having a motorcycle!
Last edit: 19 Apr 2016 16:51 by Gregl. Reason: fixing hyperlink

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Apr 2016 16:51 #721896 by SWest

More
19 Apr 2016 16:59 #721897 by Gregl
Replied by Gregl on topic need carb help
i do have an air box, with no filter. i really like how it looks with the clamp on filters. is it detrimental?

More
19 Apr 2016 17:07 #721898 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic need carb help
Yes. PLEASE do yourself (and all of us) a favor and plug the word "pods" into this site's search engine. You will see that the subject has been discussed 9,104 times (no kidding - see image below)! Thanks, Ed

Attachment 00003c-2-3-4-5-6-7-8.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregl

More
19 Apr 2016 17:35 #721902 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic need carb help

Gregl wrote: i do have an air box, with no filter. i really like how it looks with the clamp on filters. is it detrimental?

Yes, it's very detrimental, especially on KZ440's, and will most likely turn your dream into a nightmare.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
19 Apr 2016 18:02 - 19 Apr 2016 18:05 #721906 by punisher11b
Replied by punisher11b on topic need carb help
If you toss the air box you might as well just toss the carbs too. :whistle: CV carbs are not good with pods. Probably cost the same to buy some new mikuni VMs and tune those as it would to jet the CVs.

- good luck
Last edit: 19 Apr 2016 18:05 by punisher11b.

More
19 Apr 2016 19:24 - 19 Apr 2016 19:26 #721912 by Gregl
please elaborate, i just started building my first bike today. im going completely blind. so this mikumimi carb is going to need a custom bracket? they all seem like single carb. do i chance a higher risk of stalling at high rpm? does it matter if its belt or chain driven.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2016 19:26 by Gregl.

More
19 Apr 2016 19:57 #721915 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic need carb help
You really need a genuine factory service manual and some proper tools before going any farther.
The carburetors on that model are notoriously difficult to to tune with individual pod filters. They are designed to work with the factory air box and filter. The individual filters drastically alter the air pressure that the carbs need to function properly. It can be done, bot it requires a great deal of knowledge, time patience and money.
Most first timers get so frustrated that the set fire to the bike and piss on the ashes.
If you want to ride it someday, get it running properly with the full factory setup, then start modifying the cosmetics. The mechanical stuff can come as you gain knowledge and experience.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
19 Apr 2016 20:06 #721918 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic need carb help

Gregl wrote: please elaborate, i just started building my first bike today. im going completely blind. so this mikumimi carb is going to need a custom bracket? they all seem like single carb. do i chance a higher risk of stalling at high rpm? does it matter if its belt or chain driven.

No offense intended, but please consider this. It's your first bike. You really don't have even an elementary understanding of how it works or its various systems (don't be offended, this was true for all of us at one time). You may or may not even have experience as a rider, but you certainly do not have experience as a motorcycle design engineer. So rather than trying to modify systems that have been engineered by experts and refined over generations of evolution, why not simply ride the bike and gain first hand experience as a motorcyclist, and using the Kawasaki Service Manual learn all there is to learn about the bike, the various systems on the bike, and how to properly maintain the bike? After you have done all that and have a thorough understanding of the bike you may want to dabble in making mods, but trying to do that when you have zero understanding of the bike and its systems is truly a mistake. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
19 Apr 2016 20:16 #721921 by Gregl
you make a fair point. more-so i want to get it up and running. i can stick to the original air box, no problem. i just wasnt sure if it was the better way to go. i picked up two running kz 440s and im restoring them both. have any recommendations on any quality online stores that you use?

More
19 Apr 2016 20:16 - 19 Apr 2016 20:19 #721922 by punisher11b
Replied by punisher11b on topic need carb help

Gregl wrote: please elaborate, i just started building my first bike today. im going completely blind. so this mikumimi carb is going to need a custom bracket? they all seem like single carb. do i chance a higher risk of stalling at high rpm? does it matter if its belt or chain driven.

When I got my 440 the air box was MIA so I had to try and get the CV carbs working with pods. Didn't work for reasons mentioned above. I ended up tossing my CV carbs into a plastic tote. I was about at the set the bike on fire phase myself at that point. :lol: there is going to be so many things you need to fix you will end up there yourself if your not careful. Your best bet is to spend the money upfront and get a manual plus whatever else you need to get it back to stock. Take some of the extra variables out of the equation. It sucks but these $200 bikes can be expensive and time consuming to fix. I personally just went with a 2 in 1 conversion because I'm cheap. Bikes still super zippy and will do 75. Sounds like yours is in better shape than mine was to start though.

- good luck
Last edit: 19 Apr 2016 20:19 by punisher11b.

More
19 Apr 2016 20:19 #721923 by Gregl
your two to one conversion, did you have to make your own pipe for a single carb?