Exhaust baffle change affects the carburetion

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
21 Mar 2016 23:57 #716674 by daveo
Been a little rich, but last night I removed the street baffle (with fiberglass wrap) and put in the competition baffle. Now the plug color seems better, and the throttle response... :ohmy:

:woohoo: Orbiting perfection...over..

Maybe I should run the street baffle without the wrapper. :unsure:
It is loud.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2016 06:47 - 22 Mar 2016 06:48 #716704 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Exhaust baffle change affects the carburetion
I have always run mine without the packing .. the block off plate too on the street baffle (V and Hines) and that made it even louder (a little more than even the comp) ...... picked up the comp baffle and even without the packing it is a little quieter even though its huge in comparison .....but I like it...... I'd run the comp if it improves the performance for ya ......

your ear drums will get used to it and I've never had any complaints about it being too loud.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2016 06:48 by KZB2 650.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
22 Mar 2016 07:16 #716716 by SWest
I've been planning on putting in my street baffle without the packing. With it, it was like I shoved a cork up it's ass. The compitition baffle sounds great but no one wants to ride along side of me. :(
Stevbe

More
23 Mar 2016 21:15 #717061 by Olajoe
During the superbowl week i was going to do similar. I wanted to run without the baffle, but got talked out of it. Plus I think it's a big fine where I wanted to ride it. Any way I did the opposite. I repacked the street baffle, it was already kinda new yet but i doubled up on it. It was so quite, it was strange. Quiter then a moped. When I rode by the police laughed. Then a funny thing happened. A bmw m3 rolled up. If you know these cars, even stock they're a handful. This guys car was modified, low pros, some kinda screamin eagle exhaust, the thing was mean. Well anyway, I'm pulling up to the light the bmw is already there and I slow down thinking he'll get the green take off whatever. No, this light don't want to change and so now I'm stuck side by side next to this hot rod and my bike is sounding like a 50cc razz. Well, what's there to lose. Light goes green and the turtle is in 3 rd gear by the time the beamer is through the intersection. The turtle has stock gearing, similiar to I think to the police version. I slowed down enough and I could see the guys face in the rear view mirror. That's a 50-60k car stock.

fast forward and imo packed pipes don't do these bikes proper. Even if it's with the street baffle, there is nothing out here that compares to it. Middle agers could give two flying hoots. But outside of that age category and its' game on. I was stopped by teenage chics (3 of them) because they wanted to check it the ride. The passenger was egging me to take her friend the driver for a spin, I didn't speak out loud. Gas, grass, or as someone and they might turn you in for assault.

But I noticed that too about the carburation. Having it set up for the street baffle unpacked it doesn't run better when setup differently.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
23 Mar 2016 21:30 #717062 by SWest

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
31 Mar 2016 20:42 #718613 by daveo

daveo wrote: Been a little rich, but last night I removed the street baffle (with fiberglass wrap) and put in the competition baffle. Now the plug color seems better, and the throttle response... :ohmy:

:woohoo: Orbiting perfection...over..

Maybe I should run the street baffle without the wrapper. :unsure:
It is loud.

After a few hundred miles...

I think the plugs in pic show better color and burn, but #4 is a little-bit rich and #3 a touch lean...we're getting closer.
All pilot air screws are since reset at 3 +/- turns out (to compensate), with 132.5 jets.
The resonant sound at 5-6K is mind boggling. Beyond that it breaches nirvana. :woohoo:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
31 Mar 2016 20:44 #718614 by SWest

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
31 Mar 2016 20:53 #718616 by daveo

swest wrote: Looks like my plugs. :dry:
Steve

:) Assuming that is "GOOD"...
But they ain't yours, bubba :lol:

1982 KZ1100-A2

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
31 Mar 2016 21:01 #718619 by SWest
That's good but I'm looking for peanut butter color. I had it once and am trying to find it again. :whistle:
Steve

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
31 Mar 2016 21:10 - 31 Mar 2016 21:18 #718622 by daveo

swest wrote: That's good but I'm looking for peanut butter color. I had it once and am trying to find it again. :whistle:
Steve

GMO or organic, nutty or smooth? Where to find that perfect color when there are so-many variables.
PS. Maybe the dog ate it!

Just discovered something. If you right click on the photo, then left click "view image" when it comes up, you can then zoom in and see amazing detail otherwise far-beyond standard visual perception. :ohmy:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 31 Mar 2016 21:18 by daveo.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
31 Mar 2016 21:21 #718624 by SWest
That's pretty damn close. Maybe it's the fuel. Sometimes mine has a purple hue. :whistle:
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
31 Mar 2016 21:23 #718626 by SWest
BTW I don't like chunky, reminds me of something disgusting. :lol:
Steve