Should I do anything about this residue?

More
20 Mar 2016 06:01 - 20 Mar 2016 07:20 #716297 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Should I do anything about this residue?

Little B wrote: . . . I'll heat up and put the tube back on the breather hole too. . .

The clean-up work looks good! :cheer:

Trusting that the bolt inside the port will of course be removed :cheer: before attaching the hose.

With a snug fitting hose it's often helps to first soften the end of the hose by applying heat so that the hose becomes much easier to attach, which may result in a tighter attachment that doesn't require a clamp. And this would also include fuel line hoses.

My preferred hose-end heating technique is to boil a cup of water and dip the hose end momentarily into the very hot water, which quickly evaporates leaving the hose end nice and soft. And which avoids the possibility of accidentally overheating and burning or melting the hose end as is possible with a hair dryer, heat gun, light bulb, or flame.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 20 Mar 2016 07:20 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Little B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Mar 2016 06:30 #716303 by SWest

More
20 Mar 2016 06:38 - 20 Mar 2016 06:39 #716304 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Should I do anything about this residue?
You have shoved a bolt into the breather hole! TAKE IT OUT!!! That breather is there for a reason. Put a hose on it to connect it to the airbox. If you leave that bolt in there you WILL have engine problems. Ed

Attachment 00003a-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Mar 2016 06:39 by 650ed.

More
20 Mar 2016 06:45 #716307 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Should I do anything about this residue?
Re read the last post by him ..... in it he does say he is going to heat up and re attach the breather hose so we all got excited for nothing .... :laugh: :silly: ;)

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
20 Mar 2016 07:33 #716314 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Should I do anything about this residue?

Little B wrote: . . . Can I use a brass brush to clean off the leftover sealant around the carb holders or will it damage the mating surface for the new ones? . . . .

Carb holders should be installed without any sealant.

Where there's evidence of sealant having been earlier applied, it was perhaps done in an effort to seal air leaks in an old worn out holder.

Most sealing efforts are temporary at best, but may last a week or so which should hopefully allow sufficient time to acquire brand new holders.

Sealant products may be fuel proof or heat proof, but likely not both as would be needed for carb holders.

However, sealing efforts have reportedly been longer lasting with ThreeBond and similar products, such as:
www.z1enterprises.com/search?q=bond

The best remedy by far is to install brand new carb holders. :cheer:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
20 Mar 2016 07:47 #716317 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Should I do anything about this residue?
I misunderstood. Somehow I thought he was going to heat up the engine - as in running it. Maybe I should wait until the sun is over the yardarm before pulling the first cork! :woohoo: Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
20 Mar 2016 12:13 - 20 Mar 2016 12:14 #716350 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic Should I do anything about this residue?
I appreciate the enthusiasm guys! The bolt is only there to keep crap out while I'm doing all the cleaning.

I can see why y'all would WTF after seeing the picture! I took a different picture with the bolt removed but mistakenly put the one you see up. LOL sorry for my duh moment! :)

Patton wrote:

Little B wrote: . . . Can I use a brass brush to clean off the leftover sealant around the carb holders or will it damage the mating surface for the new ones? . . . .

Carb holders should be installed without any sealant.

Where there's evidence of sealant having been earlier applied, it was perhaps done in an effort to seal air leaks in an old worn out holder.
The best remedy by far is to install brand new carb holders. :cheer:

I have new ones but wanted to get the old stuff off so that it didn't interfere with the new seal. Thanks for the boiling water idea too patton!

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD
Last edit: 20 Mar 2016 12:14 by Little B.

More
20 Mar 2016 17:16 #716394 by Little B
Replied by Little B on topic Should I do anything about this residue?
All done with this part. The boiling water idea worked well to get the tube back on.

And the nail idea worked well to get the crap off the mating surface. Hoping to find a local source of stainless steal allen head bolts for the carb holders.

1981 KZ750-H2 LTD
Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Mar 2016 18:11 #716397 by SWest
The following user(s) said Thank You: Little B

• eddiem
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #63
More
20 Mar 2016 20:04 #716429 by eddiem
Replied by eddiem on topic Should I do anything about this residue?
After fighting trying to put on fuel line now you tell me. lol great Idea Thanks Patton

Patton wrote:

Little B wrote: . . . I'll heat up and put the tube back on the breather hole too. . .

The clean-up work looks good! :cheer:

Trusting that the bolt inside the port will of course be removed :cheer: before attaching the hose.

With a snug fitting hose it's often helps to first soften the end of the hose by applying heat so that the hose becomes much easier to attach, which may result in a tighter attachment that doesn't require a clamp. And this would also include fuel line hoses.

My preferred hose-end heating technique is to boil a cup of water and dip the hose end momentarily into the very hot water, which quickly evaporates leaving the hose end nice and soft. And which avoids the possibility of accidentally overheating and burning or melting the hose end as is possible with a hair dryer, heat gun, light bulb, or flame.

1976 Kz900
1978 Kz1000
1978 Z1r
1982 Kz1100 A2
1975 Z1b-900
1975 Z1b-900