stock settings for vm24 fuel screws

More
11 Mar 2016 13:01 - 11 Mar 2016 13:02 #714945 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic stock settings for vm24 fuel screws
The screw on the bottom is denoted the Pilot Fuel Screw on the Suzuki bikes using VM carbs. The screw that angles in from the side is denoted the Pilot Air Screw. At any rate, for Suzuki's the fuel screw typically is open about 3/4-1 turn from lightly seated and the air screw roughly double that of the fuel screw. The fuel screw is very sensitive and has a dramatic effect on the low speed mixture.

Another thing is to be very careful when turning in the pilot fuel screws to seat them because it's really easy to get the tip of the screw stuck in the matching hole in the carb body. And when that happens the tip often breaks off and gets stuck.
Last edit: 11 Mar 2016 13:02 by Nessism.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2016 13:16 #714951 by blink543
Replied by blink543 on topic stock settings for vm24 fuel screws

Nessism wrote: The screw on the bottom is denoted the Pilot Fuel Screw on the Suzuki bikes using VM carbs. The screw that angles in from the side is denoted the Pilot Air Screw. At any rate, for Suzuki's the fuel screw typically is open about 3/4-1 turn from lightly seated and the air screw roughly double that of the fuel screw. The fuel screw is very sensitive and has a dramatic effect on the low speed mixture.

Another thing is to be very careful when turning in the pilot fuel screws to seat them because it's really easy to get the tip of the screw stuck in the matching hole in the carb body. And when that happens the tip often breaks off and gets stuck.

ok and I'm having a hard time bench synching the air screws on top. I'm using paper clips when I power one slide the one next to it wants to open up

Adam james

More
11 Mar 2016 13:39 #714956 by blink543
my mains are 90 and the ones next to that are 50.

Adam james

More
11 Mar 2016 17:34 #715000 by blink543
so i have the bike able to run so I'm assuming I did something right. it's running rough. no backfire. so how the hell do i balance or synch them? not sure how to set the idle. I have to find the highest idle with the air screws then adjust the idle screw? I've never done this before because it makes no sense to me.

Adam james

More
11 Mar 2016 17:46 #715005 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic stock settings for vm24 fuel screws
Have you considered buying a Kawasaki Service Manual? I believe everyone here who is successful in tuning and maintaining their KZ has one, so you can rest assured it is a good thing to have. Owning one of these bikes without the manual is a big mistake. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

More
11 Mar 2016 18:09 #715010 by blink543

650ed wrote: Have you considered buying a Kawasaki Service Manual? I believe everyone here who is successful in tuning and maintaining their KZ has one, so you can rest assured it is a good thing to have. Owning one of these bikes without the manual is a big mistake. Ed

i have a manual its just not from kawasaki. i cant find a manual from kawasaki themselves im sure it doesnt even exist!

Adam james

More
11 Mar 2016 18:56 - 12 Mar 2016 07:25 #715023 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic stock settings for vm24 fuel screws
Is that your bike in your profile your bike? If so its a 1977 650c1 and the guy that's recommending you get a factory manual has the bike and the manual. :laugh: If its not and your bike really is a 78 kz650b2 (like you've said before) I have one and the factory manual too so both can be found.

All the info's in the Clymer too. how to sync anyway 1st thing you need to do maybe just not quite as specific (if you can't figure it out with it a factory one probably isn't going to help that much) ..... fine tuning the air screws is pretty tricky at least I've never been able to perfect it...... setting them at 1 and a 1/4 should be close enough for now and thankfully go by RonKZ650s explanation too.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2016 07:25 by KZB2 650.

More
11 Mar 2016 20:18 #715040 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic stock settings for vm24 fuel screws
No help for you, but I've had lots of experience with both the air screw type and pilot screw type. If you have both, they are called transition carbs and they would be the rare ones and probably hardest to tune, the air screw type are the easiest, just turn them in to lightly seated, then back out 1 1/4 turns. Now for the pilot screw type, these are tough because the taper is so gradual it is near impossible to lightly seat and back off x amount of turns. The taper makes it hard to guage lightly seated with any sense of accuracy. Add to this the points are bent 95% of the time makes any easy adjustment near impossible. I hate carbs is what it comes down to, but hate air screw type much less.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZB2 650, Nessism

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Mar 2016 20:24 #715042 by SWest

More
12 Mar 2016 13:03 #715122 by blink543

swest wrote: Pic of the carbs?
Steve

Adam james
Attachments:

More
12 Mar 2016 13:05 #715123 by blink543

swest wrote: Pic of the carbs?
Steve

it's a pilot screw type I adjusted the pilots to 1 and 1/8 turn out from lightly seated

Adam james
Attachments: