Fuel Leak

More
28 Feb 2016 13:19 #712894 by John_KZ650
Fuel Leak was created by John_KZ650
Hey Guys,

Looking for some tips here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I bought this 1979 KZ650 last August and since then I've been conducting some maintenance on it. It's my first bike and I have little experience so you could say I'm a novice. I bought it running but for one reason or another it wouldn't start anymore a couple weeks later. Since then I've:
-changed the oil/filter
-new fuel filter
-checked electrical = new ignition coil (right one was busted)
-took off the carbs and cleaned them up
FYI: I've been using a Clymer manual along with whatever information I can find on the web

The issue I'm wondering about here happened after after I put the carburetor back onto the bike. I came in the next day and found a huge fuel puddle underneath. Upon further inspection I saw that not only was the fuel leaking from the drain hoses attached to the float bowls but also somehow going through into the air box and leaking out through its drain hose as well[reference pic].

I did my best to re assemble my carburetor back to exactly how it was when I took it off but I must have messed something up.
Has anyone ran through this before?

Thanks!

-John
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 Feb 2016 13:36 #712900 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Fuel Leak
Many times. Search Clear tube test.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: John_KZ650

More
28 Feb 2016 13:53 #712907 by Olajoe
Replied by Olajoe on topic Fuel Leak
your carb is like a toilet bowl. The worn out flapper lets the water keep draing out. Fix the flapper, then you want to go all pro, set the height. if it was running fine before, the height maybe good already. But the flapper needs some help.

More
28 Feb 2016 15:21 #712928 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Fuel Leak
Olajoe - Your carb has flappers? :blink: What kind of bike is that? The KZ650 does not has such things.

John_KZ650 Is it possible you installed the floats upside down? I've read of this happening to folks. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
28 Feb 2016 15:41 #712931 by Olajoe
Ed i never said your carb has a flapper or that these carbs have flappers ;) Why the hypersensitivty? it's an analogy. How can you put a float on backwards that's not even possible and if by some chance that happened it wouldn't leak because it would already be in the closed position unless as pointed early in the analogy it would need to be cleaned or replaced.

More
28 Feb 2016 15:55 #712936 by John_KZ650
Replied by John_KZ650 on topic Fuel Leak
Clear tube test. Got it.

Thanks!

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 Feb 2016 15:58 #712939 by SWest

More
28 Feb 2016 16:00 #712940 by Olajoe
First time posting, what is this? Is this how you get guys to help out then flame them?

All you have to do is take the fuel line and blow through it, done. Tighten bowl gasket. You cannot learn about carbs by somebody telling you what to do and if this is the flame game, oh boy.

More
28 Feb 2016 16:05 #712944 by John_KZ650
Replied by John_KZ650 on topic Fuel Leak

Olajoe wrote: your carb is like a toilet bowl. The worn out flapper lets the water keep draing out. Fix the flapper, then you want to go all pro, set the height. if it was running fine before, the height maybe good already. But the flapper needs some help.

Yeah actually my buddy who is taking his Honda apart came over with his carb and we were comparing them. Saw that he had flappers but mine did not. Surprise to me.

-John

More
28 Feb 2016 16:18 #712946 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Fuel Leak

Olajoe wrote: Ed i never said your carb has a flapper or that these carbs have flappers ;) Why the hypersensitivty? it's an analogy. How can you put a float on backwards that's not even possible and if by some chance that happened it wouldn't leak because it would already be in the closed position unless as pointed early in the analogy it would need to be cleaned or replaced.

No hypersensitivty on my part. You stated "... the height maybe good already. But the flapper needs some help." To me that sounds like you are saying the flapper needs some help, and since the original posting is about carbs I asked what flapper you were referring to. Suggesting to the original poster that the "flapper needs some help" didn't come across to me as an analogy, but maybe I simply didn't understand your point.

As far as a float being put on upside down (I did not say "backwards" as you stated) actually, the float CAN be put on upside down. Folks have done it and it caused overflow problems. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: John_KZ650

More
28 Feb 2016 16:19 #712947 by Olajoe
take pictures and write this stuff down. This way you can always have something later on for reference.

More
28 Feb 2016 16:21 #712948 by Olajoe

John_KZ650 wrote:

Olajoe wrote: your carb is like a toilet bowl. The worn out flapper lets the water keep draing out. Fix the flapper, then you want to go all pro, set the height. if it was running fine before, the height maybe good already. But the flapper needs some help.

Yeah actually my buddy who is taking his Honda apart came over with his carb and we were comparing them. Saw that he had flappers but mine did not. Surprise to me.

-John

take pictures and write this stuff down. This way you can always have something later on for reference.