Fuel Leak

More
21 Mar 2016 06:36 #716489 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Fuel Leak
If you choose to use a fuel filter make sure it's the type designed for use in a gravity fed system. This type of filter typically has a gold colored stone inside, not a paper filter, which are made for pressure fed fuel systems. Thing is though, those gold stone filters don't filter all that fine, they are better than nothing, but no substitute for a clean tank.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John_KZ650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2016 09:00 #716525 by John_KZ650
Replied by John_KZ650 on topic Fuel Leak

TexasKZ wrote: That white stuff looks like oxidized metal. If that is so, then it indicates the presence of water. Could you have gotten some bad fuel that caused all these headaches?

You know it's probably water. A few days ago I had rigged up my carbs and did the clear tube test but I didn't have any gas so I used water as an interim substitute. Float levels seemed normal (around 1/8" below top edge of bowl). Which is kind of a head scratcher because that means the culprit to this fuel overflow issue I'm having is probably elsewhere.

Well another novice mistake under my belt.
Appreciate the pointer though TexasKZ!

More
21 Mar 2016 09:08 #716526 by John_KZ650
Replied by John_KZ650 on topic Fuel Leak

Nessism wrote: The choke tube looks to be plugged up for one thing, plus there are chunkies visible. I'd ungang the carbs and tear them down. Soak in carb dip and replace all the various O-rings. Cycleorings.com sells a VM kit which should have most of what you need. You can supplement with some bowl gaskets as needed from Z1 Enterprises or similar.

Short cuts are long cuts when it comes to carbs.

members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/i.../vm_carb_rebuild.pdf

Thanks Ed. That PDF is a great play by play. Blows the Clymer out of the water.

Cheers!

-John