Help Diagnose my No-Start

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Mar 2016 19:03 #713549 by SWest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2016 04:59 #713578 by Modrummer
Replied by Modrummer on topic Help Diagnose my No-Start

swest wrote: You don't have a manual?
Steve

Unfortunately no. I had a digital copy somewhere but i cant seem to find it.

More
06 Mar 2016 09:04 #714123 by Modrummer
Ok so I decided to check my timing. Here's what I found: the points should be just starting to gap when the "F" mark lines up with the mark on the crankcase. Here's what mine look like with the "F" mark lined up:

[IMG

The points don't begin to gap until here:

[IMG

which is almost a quarter turn farther, even with the plate adjusted as far Counter Clockwise as it will go. So something is way off... thoughts?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Mar 2016 19:17 #714400 by SWest

More
08 Mar 2016 15:35 #714523 by Modrummer

swest wrote: Turn the cam 180* on the rotor.
Steve

What exactly do you mean (pictures would be appreciated)? Sorry that I"m still learning this.

I thought you meant rotate this 180* (I believe it's called the Advancer UNit)

[IMG

But the notch on the back of it lines up with this notch :

[IMG

so there is no way to rotate it. More info would be appreciated!

More
18 Mar 2016 18:14 #716093 by Modrummer
Anyone able to answer the above question for me?

What do I need to turn 180*?

More
18 Mar 2016 20:53 - 18 Mar 2016 20:57 #716114 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Help Diagnose my No-Start

Modrummer wrote:

Patton wrote: Did the engine start and run before the recent carb rebuild?
Good Fortune! :)

The engine never idled, but i was able to get it to rev up and i could keep it running with the throttle. Bike had been sitting in a garage for almost 20 years previously. When i did get it to start (before i knew it needed a carb rebuild) the carbs overflowed and i believe some of the gas got into the engine. I drained the oil immediately after and replaced with new oil.
Is it possible that that did something to stop the motor from starting?

was able to get it to rev up and i could keep it running with the throttle -- would indicate that the electrical connections and advancer assembly were most likely all okay, with issue being a clogged pilot circuit and/or a clogged choke circuit. Hopefully the electrical connections were not altered and the advancer assembly was not altered.

Bike had been sitting in a garage for almost 20 years previously. When i did get it to start (before i knew it needed a carb rebuild) the carbs overflowed and i believe some of the gas got into the engine. I drained the oil immediately after and replaced with new oil. Is it possible that that did something to stop the motor from starting? -- No. The fact that gasoline got into the crankcase which necessitated an oil change would not in and of itself do anything to stop the motor from starting.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 18 Mar 2016 20:57 by Patton.

More
18 Mar 2016 21:19 - 18 Mar 2016 21:21 #716117 by Patton
With points ignition, there's a cam on the rotor that's part of the advancer assembly.

Here's how it's supposed to function:

The heel of the points rides on the cam;

As the cam rotates, the heel climbs the cam which opens the points; and the heel then descends the cam which allows the points to close.

The opening of the points is the event that's supposed to cause the ignition coil to simultaneously fire both spark plugs.

The rotor in the advancer assembly will be correctly positioned if the heel starts climbing the cam as the F mark aligns with the permanent timing mark on the engine case.

On some models it's possible to have the rotor installed 180 degrees off, which means that the points won't open as the F mark aligns with the permanent timing mark on the engine case.

Assure that the advancer assembly is installed so that the heel starts climbing the cam as the F mark aligns with the permanent timing mark on the engine case.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 18 Mar 2016 21:21 by Patton.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Mar 2016 05:36 #716136 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Help Diagnose my No-Start
Doesn't sound in your case the cam is 180* off. Pilots clogged most likely. It is however possible to have the cam off. I bought a low mile one and rebuilt mine with the parts. I noted how it was before so that wouldn't happen.
Steve

More
19 Mar 2016 09:39 - 19 Mar 2016 09:41 #716158 by Patton
All the different ignition systems have a means whereby the coil's primary winding becomes repetitively un-grounded (event causing coil to fire) and then re-grounded (coil charges), and then again un-grounded . . . etc, etc.

Points opening (coil primary wiring un-grounds, causing firing)
Points closed (coil primary wiring is grounded and charging)

Dyna-S
Magnet passes by pick-up module (coil primary wiring un-grounds, causing firing)
Magnet away from pick-up module (coil primary winding is grounded and charging)

Stock with Igniter
Pointed rotor area passes by pick-up module (coil primary wiring un-grounds, causing firing)
Pointed rotor area away from pick-up module (coil primary wiring is grounded and charging)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Mar 2016 09:41 by Patton.

More
19 Mar 2016 18:16 #716240 by Modrummer

Patton wrote: With points ignition, there's a cam on the rotor that's part of the advancer assembly.

Here's how it's supposed to function:

The heel of the points rides on the cam;

As the cam rotates, the heel climbs the cam which opens the points; and the heel then descends the cam which allows the points to close.

The opening of the points is the event that's supposed to cause the ignition coil to simultaneously fire both spark plugs.

The rotor in the advancer assembly will be correctly positioned if the heel starts climbing the cam as the F mark aligns with the permanent timing mark on the engine case.

On some models it's possible to have the rotor installed 180 degrees off, which means that the points won't open as the F mark aligns with the permanent timing mark on the engine case.

Assure that the advancer assembly is installed so that the heel starts climbing the cam as the F mark aligns with the permanent timing mark on the engine case.

Ok so the problem I'm having is that even with the timing as advanced as it can be, the point's don't start to open till a little after the "T" mark. Could this be worn out points?

More
19 Mar 2016 18:23 #716243 by Modrummer
Thanks for all the info and pictures. I can actually see the spark between the points every rotation so they seem to be functioning correctly aside from the fact that with the timing fully advanced they still don't begin to open till after the "T" mark.

Also, just to double check, the port I have circled here is just a vacuum port for the vacuum petcocks correct? I have this capped off normally since I have an aftermarket fuel petcock.

[IMG