Help Diagnose my No-Start

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Feb 2016 18:51 #712663 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Help Diagnose my No-Start
Those carbs may have a strainer screen on the needle valves like mine. Spray backwards to clear it.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2016 19:50 #712676 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Help Diagnose my No-Start

Modrummer wrote: Ok so I took the carbs off to do the clear tube float bowl test. I got the first carb perfectly set. Went to do the second carb and no fuel would come out of the drain plug??? Gas VERY slowly goes down the funnel and gas line I was using to feed the carb, but none came out of the drain. When I took of the float bowl again it was wet with gasoline in there (though definitely wasn't filling up all the way). The floats move freely and appear to be operating perfectly.
Thoughts?

The float valve might be stuck closed (pointed tip of the float needle stuck inside the seat orifice).

Clear tube test:

It's often possible to perform the clear tube test without the special tool by using a tube size that fits snugly into the drain hole.
Minimal leakage from where the tube is inserted doesn't invalidate the test.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
28 Feb 2016 14:49 #712920 by Modrummer
Replied by Modrummer on topic Help Diagnose my No-Start
Ok I am more confused than ever. UPDATE: Both carbs have been adjusted per the clear tube test. I managed to get the stripped pilot jet out and replace it with a new one. I cleaned the pilot circuit as well as I could and it seems to be functioning (can spray carb cleaner in one hole and it comes out the others). I have the pilot air screw turned two turns out from all the way in. I have a good strong spark. And yet, it still won't start. I can get it to sometimes POP (backfire) out the exhaust, but that's it. If I use starter fluid it will act like it's going to start for about half a second, and then die.

Ideas?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 Feb 2016 14:51 #712922 by SWest

More
28 Feb 2016 16:37 #712956 by Modrummer

swest wrote: Coil leads switched? Sounds like it.
Steve

What does that mean? Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

More
28 Feb 2016 19:07 - 28 Feb 2016 19:07 #712993 by Patton
Did the engine start and run before the recent carb rebuild?

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 28 Feb 2016 19:07 by Patton.

More
29 Feb 2016 05:16 #713017 by Modrummer

Patton wrote: Did the engine start and run before the recent carb rebuild?

The engine never idled, but i was able to get it to rev up and i could keep it running with the throttle. Bike had been sitting in a garage for almost 20 years previously. When i did get it to start (before i knew it needed a carb rebuild) the carbs overflowed and i believe some of the gas got into the engine. I drained the oil immediately after and replaced with new oil.

Is it possible that that did something to stop the motor from starting?

More
29 Feb 2016 08:06 #713058 by Patton

Modrummer wrote: Ok so I took the carbs off to do the clear tube float bowl test. I got the first carb perfectly set. Went to do the second carb and no fuel would come out of the drain plug??? Gas VERY slowly goes down the funnel and gas line I was using to feed the carb, but none came out of the drain. When I took of the float bowl again it was wet with gasoline in there (though definitely wasn't filling up all the way). The floats move freely and appear to be operating perfectly.

Thoughts?

Would assure that the float isn't installed upside down (if that would even be possible in this model carb).

The float tang may require adjustment (i.e., set float height) in order to allow the float valve to remain open until the correct fuel level is reached.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
29 Feb 2016 08:44 - 29 Feb 2016 08:49 #713064 by Patton
Starter system (enrichener circuit) might be clogged, resulting in non-functioning choke.

Good Fortune!

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Feb 2016 08:49 by Patton.

More
02 Mar 2016 17:33 #713528 by Modrummer

Patton wrote: Starter system (enrichener circuit) might be clogged, resulting in non-functioning choke.

Good Fortune!

Ok I cleaned the choke circuit as described and still no go.

I did notice something though, one of my pilot air screws is seated much deeper than the other (pictured below) even though they are both set 2 turns out. How is this possible? And could this be my no-start problem?

[IMG

[IMG

Also, could my ignition timing prevent the bike from starting, even though I'm getting strong spark at the plugs?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Mar 2016 17:48 #713532 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Help Diagnose my No-Start
Have you compared the two screws? Timing would prevent starting.
Steve

More
02 Mar 2016 17:55 #713536 by Modrummer

swest wrote: Have you compared the two screws? Timing would prevent starting.
Steve

The two screws are identical (they came in the K&L rebuild kit)

Well now I'm gonna have to go mess around with the timing. I had to take the plate off to check the clutch (wasn't disengaging, ended up being stuck clutch plates) and I just put it back on in roughly the same position (took a picture) thinking I can fine tune it later. But maybe I didn't put it back right,

I'm assuming there is a guide somewhere on setting timing? I'll do a search for it tomorrow when I have time to work on the bike again if you don't have it off hand.

Thanks.