VM 33 clear tube test

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Jan 2016 15:16 - 26 Jan 2016 15:20 #708217 by SWest
VM 33 clear tube test was created by SWest
After fiddle FKing around trying to get the float levels right for three hours, I finally gave up. The pivots are too sloppy and worn out. #1 developed a leak a year ago so I put in one from my VM 28's. Pissed off, I had lunch and took a break. I have some from a KZ 900 VM 26 but they had been in a box for years and didn't look too good. I pulled the other three out of my 28's and put them in. I made sure they were streight and the tangs were level with the arms. All but one tested perfect. The tangs on the old ones were bent up but no adjusting of the arms or tangs would make them right. Too low or too high. Ether I'd have the level at the gasket or no gas at all. :angry: What made matters worse, the throttle cable I bought last year as a spare IS TOO LONG. :angry: :angry: Another eBay FK up. I have a policy of not leaving feed back until I'm sure it will work just for this reason. The bike's back together and running.
Time to have a beer, dinner and chill. I'll recheck the levels and fine tune it in the morning. :dry:
Steve

Last edit: 26 Jan 2016 15:20 by SWest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2016 16:32 #708227 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic VM 33 clear tube test

swest wrote: Time to have a beer :dry:

After that...sounds good :)

1982 KZ1100-A2

The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Jan 2016 16:46 #708331 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic VM 33 clear tube test
Finished putting it together and went into town. Running a little lean just off idle to mid range. Went through them again. Everything clear, float levels spot on, mixture screws set, still a little lean. Before I jump to a bigger jet, I'll raise the needles a notch. The plugs look good besides the purple tint to them. :unsure:
Steve

More
28 Jan 2016 03:12 #708351 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic VM 33 clear tube test
Staying with the nipples and drain-screws for now. :blink:

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
28 Jan 2016 12:51 #708389 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic VM 33 clear tube test
I feel your pain Steve, I bought a cable for my BS34'S and the interior cable is to short. So I still don't know if the BS carbs are going g to work for me.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 Jan 2016 15:18 - 28 Jan 2016 15:20 #708406 by SWest
Here's one for the books, while I had the tank off, I decided to check the valves. I hadn't done them one tire ago. The way it was acting, it could have been tight intake valves. They were fine. I changed one shim but it was still in tolerance. I normally buy a valve cover gasket when I do them, only $12 and I wound up with a crack in it. :angry: I fixed it with copper RTV but now I have to go in there again. :dry: Sitting there I checked 1&2 plugs. I noticed a couple lines on the insulators. I cleaned them off with a Scotch Brite pad and put them back in. I checked and cleaned to others too. They are fairly new but I noticed some SHT inside the Dyna plug leads. Put it all back together and it fired right up. One problem solved, I did get the float levels where they should be, I'll ride it a while and see what other gremlins show their ugly heads. :unsure: It's dark now and I'm tired, I'll have a beer, eat dinner and chill. :whistle:
Jon, I've ground the outer part of cables to make them shorter when I had that problem. I ran my long cable past the headlight, then back between the left side of the tank to use up the length. It works and it is hidden by my windshield. I shouldn't have had to do it, if the seller is in my good guys thread, I'll cross out his name. :angry: In the past three years I've only been burned by 10% or so on eBay. It's starting to add up to real money. I guess I will have to go anel and check everything. I don't like to be that way but that's the way it is now. B)
Steve
Last edit: 28 Jan 2016 15:20 by SWest.

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
31 Jan 2016 13:28 #708772 by SWest
Bike's still running like SHT. I'm going to try to raise the float levels a bit. Seems to be starving for fuel after I use the power for a while. I don't think they are opening enough. More in the morning.
Steve

More
31 Jan 2016 13:41 - 31 Jan 2016 13:42 #708776 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic VM 33 clear tube test
A while back On my stock 24s I checked the level and they were more in the middle of the lower bowl so I moved it to the lower edge like everyone shows and I was running into this so I moved em back and it went away and was back to running perfect..... sometimes like they say if it ain't broke don't fix it....... not gonna say if this is your problem but it seemed to be mine.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.
Last edit: 31 Jan 2016 13:42 by KZB2 650.

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
31 Jan 2016 14:09 #708783 by SWest
The problem was two fold. It would be rich on the bottom even though I had the smallest jets that would run it. When on the side stand it would seem rich but when I sat on it upright, it would smooth out. Sloppy floats and too high. These 33's are obsolete and there is little info on them. Since I got them, it's been trial and error. To make matters worse, I have 2.0 slides not 1.5 as Mikuni lists for the Kaw's.
Steve

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
31 Jan 2016 14:43 #708788 by SWest

• SWest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
31 Jan 2016 16:43 #708804 by ezrider714
Replied by ezrider714 on topic VM 33 clear tube test
Thanks
A wealth of handy info :)

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest