carb bowl drip still....

More
07 Nov 2015 05:17 #697586 by blink543
Replied by blink543 on topic carb bowl drip still....

Patton wrote: What model carbs ?

Good Fortune! :)

Mikuni vm22s

Adam james

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2015 08:06 #697596 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic carb bowl drip still....
I just spent the last couple hours checking and adjusting fuel level in my 750E carbs. It's a trial and error thing where you measure the level, adjust the float, check again, and repeat. The fuel level was too high on pretty much every carb so set the float tabs down. Had a couple float needles with weak springs so swapped those with a couple others from another set of carbs but in the end, I decided to buy a new set of needles. I hate replacing the OEM parts with aftermarket but just pulled the trigger because they are literally 1/4 the price. Now the waiting game...again.

More
07 Nov 2015 08:27 #697598 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic carb bowl drip still....
I've just not had very good luck with aftermarket brass.
At 4-6 times the cost, OEM is still a reasonable cost, compared to the waste of my time and subsequent brain damage created by the cheap junk brass I've found in way too many bargain kits. LOL
A bitter pill to swallow but the cure is the goal.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
07 Nov 2015 11:13 #697611 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic carb bowl drip still....

blink543 wrote: I had my carbs fitted with new gaskets cuz one was dropping bad so after he did it the one is still dripping. I think it's from the carb bowl. Its the first left one for cylinder one. Is there a reason the gasket might not seal?

Either fuel level set is wrong or the needle valve is not sealing. The latter is a very common issue and requires the needle tip be polished smooth and the brass jet seats be polished. Then you get a tight seal so the gas won't keep going down into the bowl after it should cut off.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
07 Nov 2015 12:10 #697620 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic carb bowl drip still....

missionkz wrote: I've just not had very good luck with aftermarket brass.
At 4-6 times the cost, OEM is still a reasonable cost, compared to the waste of my time and subsequent brain damage created by the cheap junk brass I've found in way too many bargain kits. LOL
A bitter pill to swallow but the cure is the goal.

Trust me, I'm NOT a fan of "carb kits". I believe in unganging the carbs, soaking in carb dip, and then replacing all the soft parts like gaskets and O-rings, but reusing the OEM brass. My bike has Keihin carbs and the float needles are rubber tipped, and one of them just doesn't want to hold back the fuel properly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: missionkz

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
07 Nov 2015 20:06 #697673 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic carb bowl drip still....
I had the same problems with the Honda CVCC's. They wouldn't sell parts for them but they would sell you a reconditioned carb for $700. Rubber tipped needles. PITA
Steve