NooB needs some Float Level checking advice ...

More
10 Oct 2015 13:08 #694070 by jackleberry
Replied by jackleberry on topic Re:NooB needs some Float Level checking advice ...

Mean Green Z28 wrote: Okay so the pilots are clean for sure and bike only idles on choke. even though 2 and 4 don't really work at idle I rode her around the neighborhood ph the choke. While riding, I can push the choke in and it'll work fine on higher rpms. Coming to a stop, I have to choke again cos it'll stall. Here's the plugs after the ride. All pilot screws set to 2.5 turns.

1 and 3 def running a but rich. 2 and 4 not wet but a slight haze. These are brand new plugs.

There's really no point in trying to troubleshoot anything else until you get the compression up to a usable range.

1997 KZ1000P (P16)
2001 KZ1000P (P20)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mean Green Z28
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kawasaki NooB
More
10 Oct 2015 14:13 #694075 by Mean Green Z28
Replied by Mean Green Z28 on topic Re:NooB needs some Float Level checking advice ...
Yeah I did do another warm test and they were about the same. However my neighbor (runs a turbo Beetle drag car) came over and we leaned them out a bit more (1 to 1-1/4 turns) and the bike responded better. Still doesn't run that we'll without choke but runs much better riding around without choke. It was late so we gave up for the night. Will pick back up at a later date.

Really thinking of tearing the engine down this winter and going over it slowly so I know for certain I'm starting with a good foundation.

2010 Camaro 2SS
1983 Kawi KZ1000P ... bag of bolts

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
10 Oct 2015 14:31 - 10 Oct 2015 14:33 #694077 by Z1Driver

Mean Green Z28 wrote: Yeah I did do another warm test and they were about the same. However my neighbor (runs a turbo Beetle drag car) came over and we leaned them out a bit more (1 to 1-1/4 turns) and the bike responded better. Still doesn't run that we'll without choke but runs much better riding around without choke. It was late so we gave up for the night. Will pick back up at a later date.

Really thinking of tearing the engine down this winter and going over it slowly so I know for certain I'm starting with a good foundation.

The carb's are not flowing gas in the right places if you need to run with the choke on. Granted the EPA has caused the manf to make the bike run lean but. I think finding a real mean environmentally unfriendly carb cleaner and blow the carb passages per the posted instructions would be a god idea. Poking out passages and other carb parts with a wire might get gas to go through but not at the right flow. It could even be carb parts need to soak in the carb cleaner bought in a paint can with the basket overnight.
Thinking of a winter project? Have fun. I’m trying to get the freaking cams timed after a head rebuild on a Z!B. Right now the cam chain isn’t on the crank sprocket so I get to pull the cams again and try to get the chain back on and try try again. Tim

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14
Last edit: 10 Oct 2015 14:33 by Z1Driver.

• Mean Green Z28
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kawasaki NooB
More
10 Oct 2015 16:20 #694083 by Mean Green Z28
Replied by Mean Green Z28 on topic Re:NooB needs some Float Level checking advice ...
Well I'm obviously not doing something right haha. Will take it by a local place that was recommended by my neighbor to get the carbs soaked/ultrasonic cleaned and rebuilt.

2010 Camaro 2SS

• Mean Green Z28
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kawasaki NooB
More
10 Oct 2015 22:11 #694107 by Mean Green Z28
My neighbors ride. Wish mine ran like that right now, barely a crank and lights up!

2010 Camaro 2SS
Attachments:

• Mean Green Z28
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kawasaki NooB
More
15 Oct 2015 13:18 #694673 by Mean Green Z28
Took them all apart "again" and went through each port very carefully. Made sure the pilot ports and the bypass ports are free and clear ... had never checked the bypass ports before. Blew air through everything and verified good flow. Ordered 40/135 jets and pilot plugs and 2.50mm shim from Z1 ... Spoke to them and they recommended the 135 main jet instead of 140 to start. So just gonna wait till I get them to install the carbs.

Also installed a new set of rubber carb holder boots cos the old ones were cracking and although I couldn't see any cracks on inside, decided to replace them anyway.

2010 Camaro 2SS
Attachments:

• Mean Green Z28
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kawasaki NooB
More
15 Oct 2015 13:21 #694675 by Mean Green Z28
Maybe I should just install my buddies Mr. Turbo setup that's sitting on his shelf. Someone stole the turbo and carb when he moved shops

2010 Camaro 2SS
Attachments:

More
15 Oct 2015 14:28 #694679 by 650ed
If I read this all correctly, you have CV carbs and pod filters. Assuming that is correct, you have more carb adventures ahead. Do you still own the stock airbox? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Mean Green Z28
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kawasaki NooB
More
15 Oct 2015 17:41 #694704 by Mean Green Z28
Replied by Mean Green Z28 on topic Re:Re:NooB needs some Float Level checking advice ...

650ed wrote: If I read this all correctly, you have CV carbs and pod filters. Assuming that is correct, you have more carb adventures ahead. Do you still own the stock airbox? Ed

Nope, this bike was a basket case when I got it and barely had anything on it. Yeah I know I have a crap load of work ahead.

I saw an aftermarket manifold/airbox on Z1 enterprises I think that may work. Or thinking of fabricating my own box up if I can figure out what features are really needed.

2010 Camaro 2SS

More
16 Oct 2015 02:46 #694729 by 650ed
You may want to check out eBay or maybe put a posting on this site asking for a stock airbox. Some folks have cut up police bikes to make bobbers, etc. and may have an airbox they're not using. Ed

• Mean Green Z28
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Kawasaki NooB
More
16 Oct 2015 09:33 #694759 by Mean Green Z28

650ed wrote: You may want to check out eBay or maybe put a posting on this site asking for a stock airbox. Some folks have cut up police bikes to make bobbers, etc. and may have an airbox they're not using. Ed

Have been looking and have seen them in various conditions and amount of items included. What does the complete setup have? The boots and box of course, but I haven't seen anything that has a filter attached.

2010 Camaro 2SS

More
16 Oct 2015 09:42 #694762 by 650ed
Here's a link to the airbox parts diagram. Ed

www.powersportswarehouse.com/p/Kawasaki#...00-P2-1983/080115B-6