'83 GPz550 carb removal

More
01 Oct 2015 05:32 - 01 Oct 2015 05:40 #692773 by Deadhead184
'83 GPz550 carb removal was created by Deadhead184
Hi All
(Edit: Sorry this isn't in the carb section....Doh!)

New here, and just picked up a cherry and all-original '83 GPz550 for a magazine story I'm doing. It runs, but not well, as it's been sitting for a few months. (The previous owner had the carbs cleaned, but he left today's shitty gas in them, and I suspect the innards are fouled and gummy.) Anyway, I need to yank them off to be cleaned, but have heard some stories about how hard they are to extricate. Does the airbox need to come out? Or can I simply remove the hardened aft rubbers (I have fresh and pliable replacement boots for front and back) and manipulate them from there? Any other hints?

Thanks very much!

Mitch Boehm
mcretro@cox.net
Last edit: 01 Oct 2015 05:40 by Deadhead184. Reason: added info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
01 Oct 2015 06:03 #692783 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic '83 GPz550 carb removal
If you have new ones, push the old ones into the air box. PITA to remove the carbs with the hard ones still on. Put the new ones in the air box, then install the carbs. Check the carb holders too. If they are hard and cracked, order some new ones. I suggest these guys'
Steve
jbmindustries.com/HOLDERS.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Deadhead184

More
01 Oct 2015 09:19 #692828 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic Re:'83 GPz550 carb removal
Looks like he has both already. Just push the airbox boots into the airbox. Spray penetrating oil on the intake boot (carb holders) screws before you try to undo them, if electrolysis has set in they're a bitch. When you put the carb holders back on put some type 2 gasket sealant around the head openings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Deadhead184

More
02 Oct 2015 07:42 #692994 by Deadhead184
Replied by Deadhead184 on topic Re:'83 GPz550 carb removal
Thanks, guys. Got the carbs out, and removed the air-box just before I did it. Everything came out pretty easily....30 mins or so. Guess the hard part will be getting the carbs back in once the airbox and new boots are in place...looks like a tight squeeze. Not sure whether to try to clean the carbs myself or have a pro do it so I know it's right... the previous owner had the carbs rebuilt with fresh rubbers and such, so it's probably just gummy jets and orfices, so I may do it. If any one has hints for getting the carbs back in with minimal fuss, please let me know. How about spraying a light lubricant on the rear boots? Also going to yank the shock and have it re-worked while the thing is apart. Anyway, thanks for the help! Can't wait to get the thing going. Mitch

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Oct 2015 11:11 #693018 by SWest

More
03 Oct 2015 03:37 #693099 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic Re:'83 GPz550 carb removal

Deadhead184 wrote: Thanks, guys. Got the carbs out, and removed the air-box just before I did it. Everything came out pretty easily....30 mins or so. Guess the hard part will be getting the carbs back in once the airbox and new boots are in place...looks like a tight squeeze. Not sure whether to try to clean the carbs myself or have a pro do it so I know it's right... the previous owner had the carbs rebuilt with fresh rubbers and such, so it's probably just gummy jets and orfices, so I may do it. If any one has hints for getting the carbs back in with minimal fuss, please let me know. How about spraying a light lubricant on the rear boots? Also going to yank the shock and have it re-worked while the thing is apart. Anyway, thanks for the help! Can't wait to get the thing going. Mitch

If you are using new rubber it should be easy put the carbs into the airbox boots first then rotate down and work into the holders.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
03 Oct 2015 03:54 #693100 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Re:'83 GPz550 carb removal
When putting back on, get the two inside ones in first, then the outsides.
Steve