Dumb Question?

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
04 Aug 2015 07:45 #684239 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Dumb Question?

swest wrote: Got a link to the 33's?
Steve

PM sent

1982 KZ1100-A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
04 Aug 2015 08:00 #684245 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Dumb Question?
Plugs look better in the second pic, plug chops I think only really give you a clue what the engine is doing at that instant, hence the WOT and hit the kill switch main jet selection/needle selection procedure. It gets licence busting fast on a 550 let alone an 1100. A pro tuner told me whatever he was doing it had to be WOT, as he looked at a 1340 katana he was doing.

On mine I was getting rich on part throttle but ok on mains, the sooty plugs cleaned themselves pretty quick between chops.

The flatslides are a popular choice, just getting old now so check them carefully if ebaying, someone I know went through several just to find one decent used set.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

More
04 Aug 2015 11:20 #684265 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Dumb Question?

swest wrote: I've seen the tips broken from being tightened too much. Look at it. The PO of my 33's boogered them up, soldered the hole going through them so now I have to find new ones. That's a problem being they are discontinued.
Steve

I have a set of 26mm carbs from that $25.00 KZ1000ltd I previously have mentioned... it also has one of the fine point mixture screw tips broken off inside the bore from some knucklehead over tightening the idle mixture screws!! Damn it. No way that carb every let the engine idle right.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
04 Aug 2015 13:51 #684289 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Dumb Question?
The 33's are hard to dial in correctly. The prices they want for used ones are dishonest being they are obsolete. I paid $100 for mine from a so called friend. Turns out something happened to Miller. His long time clients told me not to trust him, "He's not the same Donny you once knew." I did notice a change in him. He was resentful and angry. :dry:
A year later I went up to the high desert to see him but his house and shop were gone. I never saw him again. The last time I saw him, he had his Honda/Davidson for sale on the edge of HWY 62. That was in 96. :(
I got my 33's working but they had flat spots I couldn't get rid of. The bike sat for 15 years and this time I went through them again, fixed what his brother did and they are working fine. B)
After all these years I'd like to see him again and show him I still have the same bike and carbs. I often wounder what happened to him and did he resolve his problems. :unsure:
Steve