Air box back on, no fire...

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Apr 2015 18:16 #668778 by LuckyLucOnBass
Air box back on, no fire... was created by LuckyLucOnBass
Hey guys. How's everyone doing out there?

So I replaced the pods on my bike with the stock air box. I didn't put the pods on, the PO did. I ordered new boots last week and finally had time to get the box back on today. Wow, was that fun and not at all time consuming. :side: Anyway, before I put the carbs back on, I just opened them up and made sure (again) that everything was clean. And again, it was clean. An even then, I still went and cleaned through the jets and sprayed carb cleaner to make sure every possible lead was clean.

After I got everything back on, the bike wouldn't fire. It turns like hell. But no fire. There's no gas in the air box. And yes, I also used an air compressor to clean out the dust and spiderwebs from the air box.

This was the bike just last week with the pods on.

I also re-installed the hoses from the air suction system. The petcock is a manual one, no vacuum needed. The carb that was routed to the original vacuum petcock is plugged.

Not sure what else to say. Ideas? Thoughts? Opinions? Things to check? Questions? The manual is pretty basic. "Look for air leaks."

Thanks guys. The weather is 85 all week here. It's time to ride.

bass player, bike rider, hockey fan.
1983 KZ550 M1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Apr 2015 18:25 #668779 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Air box back on, no fire...
Disturbed a wire or connection? You do know you will have to rejet?
Steve

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Apr 2015 18:32 - 19 Apr 2015 18:53 #668781 by LuckyLucOnBass
Replied by LuckyLucOnBass on topic Air box back on, no fire...

swest wrote: Disturbed a wire or connection? You do know you will have to rejet?
Steve

The jets are stock. Checked with the manual. Definitely stock. I'll take the tank off and make sure there's nothing disconnected either.

1983 KZ550 M1
Last edit: 19 Apr 2015 18:53 by LuckyLucOnBass.

More
19 Apr 2015 18:58 #668784 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Air box back on, no fire...
If the air suction system was blocked when the pods were on the carbs I would block it again, at least temporarily, to see if the engine will start. If the engine starts there's some issue with that "clean air" system. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
More
19 Apr 2015 19:02 #668786 by Garbosh
Replied by Garbosh on topic Air box back on, no fire...
Check your vacuum lines and make sure those are all in order, my kz1000 didn't start until I did so.

82 KZ1000P
Café Racer/ Brat Project
-Clubman Bars
-End Mirrors
-Rear Shocks

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Apr 2015 20:29 #668808 by LuckyLucOnBass

Garbosh wrote: Check your vacuum lines and make sure those are all in order, my kz1000 didn't start until I did so.

Since my petcock is not vacuum actuated, will it matter too much? As it is now, my air suction valves run a larger tube into the top of the airbox. Out from the bottom of the air suction cleaner, a smaller line runs into a splitter. Those two lines go the the #1 and #4 carb vacuum port. The #2 and #3 carbs have a plug on the vacuum ports. The bottom of the airbox has a tube going to the crankcase breather.

If the air suction system was blocked when the pods were on the carbs I would block it again, at least temporarily, to see if the engine will start. If the engine starts there's some issue with that "clean air" system. Ed

Ed, can I run the bike with the box and the air suction system blocked off? Would I just need to block off the port on the top front of the air box? It would free up a little space.

1983 KZ550 M1

More
19 Apr 2015 22:09 #668815 by Garbosh
I would try blocking carb vacuum points #1 and #4 just to try. I had my #1 and #4 still hooked up to my pcv system valve and the pcv disconnected from the box because I put in pods. The air acted like a short cut into/through the carb vacuum points and it wouldn't start. As soon as I plugged #1 and #4...started right up.

82 KZ1000P
Café Racer/ Brat Project
-Clubman Bars
-End Mirrors
-Rear Shocks

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Apr 2015 22:24 #668816 by LuckyLucOnBass

Garbosh wrote: I would try blocking carb vacuum points #1 and #4 just to try. I had my #1 and #4 still hooked up to my pcv system valve and the pcv disconnected from the box because I put in pods. The air acted like a short cut into/through the carb vacuum points and it wouldn't start. As soon as I plugged #1 and #4...started right up.

I'll try that tomorrow. My plan will be Ed's plan. Gonna block of all the carb vacuum ports with plugs again. And cap off the emissions system again. I'll duct tape the hole on the top of the air box too. If it works, I'll find a rubber plug for that. I'm ready to ride!

Last thing to do, down the line, is make a new seat and maybe a saddle bag.

1983 KZ550 M1

More
19 Apr 2015 22:41 #668819 by Garbosh
Yea that sounds like a plan.

82 KZ1000P
Café Racer/ Brat Project
-Clubman Bars
-End Mirrors
-Rear Shocks

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Apr 2015 14:01 #669032 by LuckyLucOnBass
I covered the carb vacuum ports with plugs. I taped over the air suction valve. It took about a good 5-10 minutes to get it to start. Maybe I'm low on gas, even though I have some swishing around. But this was it.

I need to find a rubber plug or maybe a bolt with metal and rubber washers to seal the air box vent. I need to find caps for the valve vents too. But I'm on the right track.

Any ideas as to why the bike didn't run with the air suction cleaner thingamajing?

1983 KZ550 M1

More
21 Apr 2015 14:42 #669040 by Garbosh
did you try just plugging up the vaccum ports and not the air box? or both right off the bat?

82 KZ1000P
Café Racer/ Brat Project
-Clubman Bars
-End Mirrors
-Rear Shocks