Bike won't start after carb cleaning

More
16 Dec 2014 12:28 #656194 by KZJordan
Replied by KZJordan on topic Bike won't start after carb cleaning
@swest
Well, I did get the battery charged Sunday. And it worked 2 weeks ago. I don't really see why it wouldn't work now. I am replacing it soon though so no worries.

@aslsmm
Heh yeah, lucky me. This might be a silly question but how do I turn over the engine and get my hand on the end of that carb?

@calvinhobbesfan92
Yeah I made that mistake a week or so ago. There's a vent hole and vacuum hole very close together and you'll never guess which one I picked first. It's correct now though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Dec 2014 17:40 #656224 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Bike won't start after carb cleaning
Motorcycle batteries and now car batteries are made to fail. They have a grid of lead instead of plates like in the old days. The chemical action of the lead dissolving then reattaching to the grid/plate on charge/discharge, after a while the lead sulfates and falls to the bottom or gets lodged between the plates causing a short. I've heard of people "shocking" a battery with A/C to dislodge this sulfation, thus bringing the battery back to life. I never had the "pair" to try this. I have had a battery explode in my truck. Lucky for me, it blew the other way. Nothing to F with. A bad battery can fail in many ways. It can burn out a regulator and or alternator, be fine at start up then fail while running, be undependable for no apparent reason. It can also burn wires and coils not to mention lights. The dealers want you to replace them once a year at $150 a pop. That's expensive but considering the cost of the damage they can cause including to you if at the wrong moment, it's cheap insurance. I am no different, I had to learn the hard way too.
Steve

More
16 Dec 2014 17:51 #656225 by aslsmm
Replied by aslsmm on topic Bike won't start after carb cleaning
Have someone help you. They can start it while you hold your hand over the air intake side of the carb.

73 kawasaki h2
78 kz 650
80 kz 650
1972 suzuki tr750
74 suzuki Titan
Putting deposit on ninja h2