Bike won't start after carb cleaning

More
14 Dec 2014 12:21 #656026 by KZJordan
Replied by KZJordan on topic Bike won't start after carb cleaning
@!Seymore
Removed the whole thing and took them apart. They came apart fine, but it looks like someone at some point tightened the hell out of the drain screw as evidenced by partial stripping. I suspect it's because they were leaking. Someone was probably too lazy to just buy some new O rings.

@kaw-a-holic
I'll take a look. I didn't touch the float levels as the guy before me claimed to have rebuilt the carbs. Everything looked new so I figured they were dialed in. I'll probably have to check for myself though. Like I said, it did run before I took the carbs off.

@swest
I did get a look inside of the bowls and didn't see anything. The other side of the drain screw looked fine. I'm assuming they're just tightened to hell.

@650ed
I think you're right. Battery is putting out 11 volts currently. I'm definitely going to stick to the kickstarter though. Hey and are you on kz650.info? If so I've tried to make an account there twice now and I'm still waiting to get approved by the admins. What's the deal?

Anyway, headed back out to the garage right now. I should also mention that I'm not sure how long the gas in the bike has been in there right now. It'd probably be a good idea to get some fresh gas right? The guy I bought the bike from claimed it was his daily rider.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2014 12:51 #656027 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Bike won't start after carb cleaning
Yes, I use KZ650info. I'll see what I can do to help there. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
14 Dec 2014 13:03 - 14 Dec 2014 13:04 #656029 by !Seymore
Replied by !Seymore on topic Bike won't start after carb cleaning

KZJordan wrote: I should also mention that I'm not sure how long the gas in the bike has been in there right now. It'd probably be a good idea to get some fresh gas right? The guy I bought the bike from claimed it was his daily rider.

Thanks for your reply Jordan...

RE fuel: yes, please drain and refill with fresh. The old stuff can be used in any cage. They are far less picky...

You don't list your location, so I can only presume you're in the good ol' US of A? If so, please try to avoid todays contaminated fuel (with water, aka: ethanol) and see if you can find a location near you with the "good stuff". Here's a link for your persual: pure-gas.org/

C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
83' KZ750-F1 LTD [clymers] (Kay)
82' KZ1100-D1 Specter (another project)
78' KZ650-B2a (J&H, A Project)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)
Last edit: 14 Dec 2014 13:04 by !Seymore.

More
14 Dec 2014 16:43 #656043 by KZJordan
@650ed
Awesome, thanks man.

@!Seymore
Ouch, looks like the nearest one is about 2 hours or so away. I'm in Texas, the DFW area.

Small update: took off the carbs, made sure my my throttle valve clearance was good and threw them back on. Still nothing. I think I'm going to get a new battery and see what that does. If that doesn't help then I think I may have to take it to someone that actually knows a thing or two. :(

On the plus side I freed up those drai n screws with my new impact driver and put on new throttle cables.

More
14 Dec 2014 16:43 #656044 by mopguy
Replied by mopguy on topic Bike won't start after carb cleaning
You can have the cleanest carbs in the world and the float levels set right, however like GPZ eric said if the clamps on the intake boots are not tight enough all your pistons are going to do is suck in air, and you can crank all you want and have no combustion. If clamps on boots need replacing do so or make sure that they are tight so that you get both fuel and air.

I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 Dec 2014 16:43 #656045 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Bike won't start after carb cleaning
You can try using a propane torch on the bowel itself being careful not to heat up the brass screw. That might expand the aluminum enough to get it out. Off the carb of course. I use High Tech Battery Solutions for my batteries. Much cheaper, 1 year warranty and you can talk to them. The one I bought from AZ went bad in 4 months. They just wanted to sell me another $80 battery. F em!
Steve

More
14 Dec 2014 19:34 #656058 by KZJordan
@mopguy
I made sure those clamps were nice and tight today. The boots themselves also nice and rubbery. Took a moment to check em out when I had the carbs off today.

@swest
I ended up getting those drain screws off with a manual impact driver. I'll look into High Tech Battery. Pretty sure getting a new battery will be my next move as this one is currently at 11V. Man I hope that's all it is.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Dec 2014 07:33 #656075 by SWest
It should be 14 V. At 11, the battery is sucking all the juice the bike can generate. This is a common problem on this forum. Guys too cheap to buy a new battery. Why do you think they took off the kick starter? The Z1R had the lever under the seat, then it was gone. I like having mine but seldom use it. Good to have, just in case.
Steve

More
15 Dec 2014 18:04 #656128 by KZJordan
Fair enough. I just assumed the battery was 12V new. I mean, a volt is a lot as it is, but 3 volts is just ridiculous. Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Dec 2014 19:35 #656137 by SWest
The voltage will drop as soon as you turn the key. It's the amps that make the difference. If it's below 12, there's little or no amps behind it.

More
15 Dec 2014 23:40 - 15 Dec 2014 23:43 #656144 by aslsmm
Replied by aslsmm on topic Bike won't start after carb cleaning
This is one of those "lucky you" moments. You may not realize it but this is where you master the inns and outs of your bike.

I had carb trouble with my gt750 4 years ago, now I rebuild carbs for profit. Lol.

1st, good job on keeping the stock air box.

2nd, glad to see you attempting a carb cleaning. It can be daunting.

If you have them cleaned, and the boots are new then I'd assume there is a small over sight that's causing them to not pull fuel.

Take off the stock air box and cover the end of the carb with your hand. Turn the engine over and see if you can feel suction. You should also see gas once you remove your hand.

If no suction then they aren't attached right

If no gas then they aren't cleaned or adjusted right.

Hope that helps.

73 kawasaki h2
78 kz 650
80 kz 650
1972 suzuki tr750
74 suzuki Titan
Putting deposit on ninja h2
Last edit: 15 Dec 2014 23:43 by aslsmm.

More
16 Dec 2014 06:55 #656157 by calvinhobbesfan92
Replied by calvinhobbesfan92 on topic Bike won't start after carb cleaning
This may sound dumb and someone may have said this already. Make sure your vacuum tubes are in the correct spots. I made the mistake once of connecting a vacuum tube to a fuel port and then my fuel line to a vacuum port.

83 Kawasaki Spectre 550 Bobber