Why is one of my carbs keep overflowing with gas?

More
24 May 2014 16:30 - 24 May 2014 16:31 #633823 by dakotaford1991
Replied by dakotaford1991 on topic Why is one of my carbs keep overflowing with gas?
i seem to have a very very simillar problem, my carbs are leaking terribly, except ive rebuilt the carbs with carb kits, replaced the o-rings, replaced the pilot jets, everything cleaned up, and they still leak gas, i think its a design flaw but im not sure. The carbs that you have are "TK-26v" carbs. made by teiki or TK. i cant get them to work correctly at all. its very frustrating.
Last edit: 24 May 2014 16:31 by dakotaford1991. Reason: proofreading error

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2014 16:39 #633824 by dakotaford1991
Replied by dakotaford1991 on topic Why is one of my carbs keep overflowing with gas?
scratch the tk26v part. your carbs are slightly different than mine... had to really look, but they arent the same.

More
24 May 2014 19:57 #633847 by spdygon
had these problem once........my cause was corrsion were the float niddle seats. the float niddle has a rubber point and needs the surface to be as clean as new to make a good seal when set.
find a small ball type brush and clean the seat.

1982 GS1000sz Katana ( #15...17K Miles)
1982 GS1000sz Katana ( # 297....7100k Miles)
1978 Kz1000 Z1R. 10K Miles1
1978 kz1000 z1r 27k miles
1977 KZ 1000 A ( Project ) 54K Miles
1976 Kz900A4 (Red)21K miles
1976 Kz900A4 ( Red)7500 miles
1974 Z1 900 project

More
24 May 2014 21:31 - 24 May 2014 21:34 #633859 by Patton
Could use a Q-tip chucked into a drill and used as a "drill bit" to reach down inside the seat to clean and polish the orifice where the float needle fits.

Also assure that the floats aren't installed upside down.

And also assure that the overflow tube isn't cracked or leaking at the bottom where it joins the float bowl. It's easy to check with water at the kitchen sink or with common household rubbing alcohol by simply filling the float bowl and seeing whether there's discharge from the nipple exiting from bottom of the bowl. There's not supposed to be any discharge unless the liquid reaches the entrance hole at the top of the overflow tube.

Another possibility is a maladjusted float tang.

And other possibilities would include a leaking float, or a sticking float (rubbing against side of the bowl).

Maybe the float bowl drain screw is leaking. Perhaps due to a damaged o'ring, or just too loosely tightened.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 24 May 2014 21:34 by Patton.

More
24 May 2014 21:40 #633860 by Patton
Where is exact source of the leak from carb?
Perhaps a loose float bowl screw?
Or a worn or damaged float bowl gasket?
Or a bent ear on the float bowl?
Or a loose hose connection?
Or a loose tee connection between the carbs?
Or a cracked fuel line?
Or "soggy" connection at end of fuel hose anywhere the hose connects to petcock, inline filter, or carb tee?

Might even be a cracked fuel bowl.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
25 May 2014 00:55 #633876 by pscycle
The vent hole is in the top of your bowl chamber take a small straw and cover the hole blow through it to be sure it is not obstructed you will hear the air flow. I am not sure how your carbs vent for sure but Im pretty sure you will find a tiny hole at the top of the float bowl chamber that lets the bowl pressure stabilize as your bowl fills with fuel it allows the float to move freely as the fuel displaces the air, if it is plugged it will not allow the float to work thus filling the bowl to overflow the tube and out the back of the carb thru your pod or filter.

pscycle927

More
25 May 2014 16:28 #633960 by LineArtist
Replied by LineArtist on topic Why is one of my carbs keep overflowing with gas?

Patton wrote: Where is exact source of the leak from carb?
Or "soggy" connection at end of fuel hose anywhere the hose connects to petcock, inline filter, or carb tee?

My problem was fixed making sure the petcock air/gas hose was well seated and turning the petcock to all positions about a dozen times, slowly to get it to settle in. I previously had cleaned the petcock - In your case if it is not a gravity feed petcock, your air hose could be clogged or the entrance to the carb is blocked. My '79 pulls air off the petcock from carb #2.

'79 KZ650B3 (stock)
'79 KZ650B3 (parts bike)
'06 HD 883R

More
25 May 2014 16:36 #633962 by LineArtist
Replied by LineArtist on topic Why is one of my carbs keep overflowing with gas?

Waynecarpenter wrote: Where is this vent hole at? Btw when I got the bike about a month ago I dissembled the carbs and used a can of carb cleaner to go through everything I could. They should be pretty clean at this point. Still maybe I missed this hole you speak of.

There is plenty of information on carb cleaning throughout this forum. However if you simply sprayed cleaner into the various carb, most likely you moved dirt and varnish around. The only way to properly clean a carb is to take it ALL apart piece by piece and inspect each opening for blockage, replacing broken/dry o-rings and making sure jets and other essential parts are clear and working. I found using compressed air to dry the cleaned parts was critical to assure they were cleaned and ready to be re-installed. Also a full cleaning is a good way to learn how air and gas circulate through the system.

just my 2 cents

'79 KZ650B3 (stock)
'79 KZ650B3 (parts bike)
'06 HD 883R

• Waynecarpenter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 May 2014 18:44 - 27 May 2014 18:46 #634221 by Waynecarpenter
Replied by Waynecarpenter on topic Why is one of my carbs keep overflowing with gas?
I feel like it could be a large number of things. I'm going to get a carb rebuild kit and start fresh. Hopefully this will clear the problem or make it more obvious to what the real problem could be. Do you think this is a good kit to get? Everything I would need? I have larger jets so I just wouldn't use the ones in the kit. Thanks for any insight everyone.
Last edit: 27 May 2014 18:46 by Waynecarpenter.

• Waynecarpenter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 May 2014 18:45 #634222 by Waynecarpenter
Replied by Waynecarpenter on topic Why is one of my carbs keep overflowing with gas?

Attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401241534.956228.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
28 May 2014 15:02 #634331 by onebadram
did you check the vent tubes in the bowls. It does happen. My carbs have been leaking for 2 years on my bike . This last weekend i found two hair line cracks in one vent tube. the cracks could not be seen in the garage, had to take it out in the sunlight to see them.

81 kz 750 h2 ltd

• Waynecarpenter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 May 2014 05:58 #634601 by Waynecarpenter
Got the rebuild kit. Gonna replace everything and start fresh then go from their.