Why is one of my carbs keep overflowing with gas?

• Waynecarpenter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 May 2014 10:05 #632649 by Waynecarpenter
I have a set of k&n pod filters on my carbs. On one of my carbs it seems to be overflowing and dripping out of the filter. Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2014 10:28 #632651 by mopguy
Could be the float or needle is stuck, try tapping the float bowls and see if vibration loosens it up, if it still overflows, then you need to re adjust the float using the clear tube test method.

I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.

• Waynecarpenter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 May 2014 10:36 #632653 by Waynecarpenter
Replied by Waynecarpenter on topic Why is one of my carbs keep overflowing with gas?
I remember seeing a post about that. I'll search but in the mean time does anyone have a link to it?

• Waynecarpenter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 May 2014 12:28 #632659 by Waynecarpenter
Replied by Waynecarpenter on topic Why is one of my carbs keep overflowing with gas?
Also pulled the tank. I have a Manuel petcock. On flows gas very well. Reserve flows very well. When it's on the off position it still slightly flows. Could this be the issue? If so why does only one carb overflow?

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
16 May 2014 13:10 #632664 by slayer61

Waynecarpenter wrote: Also pulled the tank. I have a Manuel petcock. On flows gas very well. Reserve flows very well. When it's on the off position it still slightly flows. Could this be the issue? If so why does only one carb overflow?

like mopguy already said... "Could be the float or needle is stuck, try tapping the float bowls and see if vibration loosens it up, if it still overflows, then you need to re adjust the float using the clear tube test method. " Also look at replacing the faulty float valve needle and seat. Consider this... If one is leaking now, will the others be long behind?
A petcock that leaks isn't good. in the "OFF" position it should be "OFF".

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

More
16 May 2014 15:47 #632679 by 331lxstang
Replied by 331lxstang on topic Why is one of my carbs keep overflowing with gas?
Check float level, check for leaking needle and seat, and from personal experience that almost drove me bonkers check that overflow tube in the bowl itself for a crack or hairline split. Mine had a hairline crack in it and no matter where you set the float fuel kept running out the overflow. I think its a rarity, but I'll never rebuild a set of carbs again without checking the overflow tubes.

1977 Santee hardtail, 1075 Andrews 3x cams, old school
1978 KZ 1000 under restoration to original

• Waynecarpenter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 May 2014 10:31 #632841 by Waynecarpenter
I'll look into the petcock a little later. The float seems to be very free, unstuck and bouncy. See pic to confirm I'm looking at the correct part.

Attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400434021.970866.jpg not found

Next as far a the needle being stuck. Just to confirm the needle you are talking about it the needle in the plunger thing on the top portion of the carb right.

Attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400434221.255358.jpg not found

If so the plunger and needle move very easily and seem to be unstuck.
Attachments:

• Waynecarpenter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 May 2014 10:39 #632842 by Waynecarpenter
Btw gas seems to be coming from here.

Attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400434426.490792.jpg not found

This plug and o ring seems to have seen better days. It doesn't seem to actually seal itself in the hole. Could almost just fall out its that loose.

Attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400434606.435727.jpg not found

My thought is since it doesn't seal gas is going through it and leaking out.
Attachments:

• Waynecarpenter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 May 2014 10:47 #632844 by Waynecarpenter
Does my float valve needle look ok? How do I know if it's bad. Also anything look bad with the seat based on just a pic?

Attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400435051.290967.jpg not found

Attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400435130.095792.jpg not found

The plunger in the float needle seems free. And the float needle goes in and out of the seat without problem.
Attachments:

• Waynecarpenter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 May 2014 08:21 #632925 by Waynecarpenter
Anyone?

More
19 May 2014 09:57 #632940 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Why is one of my carbs keep overflowing with gas?
Push the spring on the float pin. If you see dirt come flying out of it or it doesn't return to it's original position quickly, you should replace the seats and needles.

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

• Waynecarpenter
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 May 2014 17:59 #633022 by Waynecarpenter
It returns just fine. And no dirt comes out. Gonna check the fuel level. Gotta get some clear hose.