problem starting

More
28 Nov 2013 10:28 - 28 Nov 2013 10:29 #614295 by happyhunter
Replied by happyhunter on topic problem starting
I used Evapo Rust from Harbor Freight to clean the rust out of the tank. It was speckled with rust, not heavy. The EvapoRust did remove the rust but it took a lot longer than the label says. I bought one qt and sat the tank in different positions to treat the different areas inside the tank. I started on Friday evening and declared it done on Tuesday evening. I filtered thru a paper towel when I emotied the tank. There was a lot of crud in that towel.

As far as the bike and the starting prob. It was difficult to start when it was cold. I resorted to starting fluid. When it was warmed up I did some adjusting on the idle mixture screws (they were about 4 turns out when I started this). I ended up with them about 1.5 turns out. It idled nicely. It restarted with no hassle. Nice.

Today I sat a electric heater in front of it for an hour and tried to start it. No go. Resorted to starting fluid, it fired and was beginning to warm up when it stopped. I could not get it started again, even with liquid fire.

Could the coils be bad? When I first looked at this the battery was dead and the regulator was putting out 22 VDC, maybe that damaged the coils? I know it blew out most of the bulbs.

I also need to look at the timing and make sure all such adjustments are OK. Is there a way to static time a motorcycle? I used to do that on my old VW Bug. Actually I do not even own a timing light, never needed one with my Bug.

Happy Thanksgiving!
HH

'82 Kawasaki KZ305CSR
I did not set out to buy a project bike,
but I got one anyway.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2013 10:29 by happyhunter. Reason: spelling error....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2013 11:53 #614376 by happyhunter
I read how to check timing statically. I went to do that today and encounerted a question. Is there supposed to be oil in the alternator? When I popped the cover off there was just a bit of oil in there. Is that normal or do I have a leaking seal?

Thanks,
HH

'82 Kawasaki KZ305CSR
but I got one anyway.

More
29 Nov 2013 13:50 #614381 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic problem starting

happyhunter wrote: I read how to check timing statically. I went to do that today and encounerted a question. Is there supposed to be oil in the alternator? When I popped the cover off there was just a bit of oil in there. Is that normal or do I have a leaking seal?

Thanks,
HH

Some models, such as large Kawasaki fours, have a little oil inside the alternator cover, as shown by the lubrication diagram in the FSM, such as:

Could check the manual for a similar diagram.
And also check the kawasaki.com diagrams to note whether there's a gasket and/or rubber grommet, which would be for the purpose of containing the oil.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
29 Nov 2013 13:55 #614384 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic problem starting
Including information about bike year and model is helpful to viewers and usually elicits better responses.

It's easy to put the information in your signature where it shows in all posted messages, past and future.

And the signature may be changed whenever and as often as desired.

If wanting a signature showing information about the bike in posted messages, it's easy to do.

Here's how:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
29 Nov 2013 19:34 #614418 by happyhunter
Patton,
I will add my bike later. It is late I am tired.....

For now my bike is a 1982 Kawasaki KZ305CSR.

There was a pretty good looking seal inside the cover plate, so I am guessing it is meant to have oil behind it. I will check the shop manual before I go any further.

Thanks!!
HH

'82 Kawasaki KZ305CSR
but I got one anyway.