problem starting

More
19 Nov 2013 23:23 #613518 by peavylotus
Replied by peavylotus on topic problem starting
Pilot, pilot, pilot, jets! haha Had the exact same problem, with a relined tank even. They clog up so easily it got annoying how many times I had to pick those little jets free. The residual rust hangs around in hard to reach places for awhile

1980 KZ 1045 LTD Currently Workin' It Out

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2013 03:44 #613521 by happyhunter
Replied by happyhunter on topic problem starting
Are pilot jets accessible from the outside or do I need to take the top off? I am not familiar (yet) with motorcycle carbs. I keep picturing throttle plate but I know this does not have them. I will learn. But if the pilot jets will need frequent cleaning it would be nice if they could be gotten at without removing and disassembling. Or am I just dreaming?

I will also need a good manual for this bike 82 KZ305CSR). Any recommendations?

What is this kit for tank cleaning from Yamaha? Is it tools or just special solvent? Seems to me fine dirt is always going to be there. Would not a filter be the answer? Or is rust so fine it passes thru?

Thanks,
HH

'82 Kawasaki KZ305CSR
I did not set out to buy a project bike,
but I got one anyway.

More
20 Nov 2013 04:47 #613523 by dkoz
Replied by dkoz on topic problem starting
The Yamaha tank kit is a liquid two-part procedure first bottle is an acid wash that you mix with water and let it set in the tank. The second bottle is a neutralizer that you rence the tank out with it neutralizes all the acid in the tank try to resist coding your tank with any kind of kit my situation was I had a failed tank liner that look good but the Rust was seeping through it and clogging up my jets

1978 LTD B2 smashed
1978 Z1R D1
1978 A2
Attachments:

More
20 Nov 2013 04:50 #613524 by dkoz
I'm unfamiliar with your carburetors if you have any pictures Postum it'll help guys help you. My bowls come off the bottom of my carburetors & my pilot jets are screwed into the bottom of the carburetor body I can remove them with a small screwdriver.

1978 LTD B2 smashed
1978 Z1R D1
1978 A2

More
21 Nov 2013 18:12 - 21 Nov 2013 18:16 #613678 by happyhunter
OK let me try to post a pict of the carbs....

i33.photobucket.com/albums/d96/happyhunt...4087_zps38fcf39d.jpg

i33.photobucket.com/albums/d96/happyhunt...4086_zpsc97728d4.jpg

I am looking at this thinking I may be able to remove and clean a lot of stuff without taking off the carbs. Is this correct? Are the pilot jets accessible thru the bottom? I am not too familiar with motor cycles yet,but I am wanting to learn.

Thanks,
HH

'82 Kawasaki KZ305CSR
but I got one anyway.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2013 18:16 by happyhunter.

More
21 Nov 2013 18:17 #613679 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic problem starting

Attachment picpostnewsite912x671.jpg not found

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
21 Nov 2013 18:32 #613684 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic problem starting
For general information, a click on this link should produce an Owner's Manual.
www.kaseydavis.com/1987KZ305LTD.pdf

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
21 Nov 2013 20:01 #613695 by JR
Replied by JR on topic problem starting

happyhunter wrote: OK let me try to post a pict of the carbs....

i33.photobucket.com/albums/d96/happyhunt...4087_zps38fcf39d.jpg

i33.photobucket.com/albums/d96/happyhunt...4086_zpsc97728d4.jpg

I am looking at this thinking I may be able to remove and clean a lot of stuff without taking off the carbs. Is this correct? Are the pilot jets accessible thru the bottom? I am not too familiar with motor cycles yet,but I am wanting to learn.

Thanks,
HH

In the second picture it looks like there is some type of brown goo on the rubber boot between the Keihin carb and motor. Perhaps put thereby the PO as a sealer. Sealers in this area are a temporary fix at best. Also brown stains beneath the carb look like at least one carb was leaking or overflowing at one point. If you are going to clean the carbs it's best to do it thoroughly. To do this you really need to take them off and it's not to difficult.

Turn off the gas and disconnect the gas line. You may need to open the seat and remove a bolt before you can take off the gas tank. Loosen the hose clamps on the rubber boots and the air hoses, Fold the airbox hoses back or push them into the airbox. wiggle the carbs out a bit, disconnect the throttle cable from the carbs. pull the carbs out. The first time you do this it might take 20 minutes

A manual would really help you with the carb details on jets and what to look for.. I think there are articles in the Filebase here which could help.

Good luck

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
22 Nov 2013 06:47 #613728 by dkoz
those do look like you should pop the carbs off and clean them thoroughly ..good cleaner ...all jets... blow them out with compressed air carb body to..just so you know there clean then put them back on and go from there..have you had time to check for rust in fuel?

1978 LTD B2 smashed
1978 Z1R D1
1978 A2

More
22 Nov 2013 19:02 #613827 by happyhunter
Finally the weekend is here. I just took the tank off and drained it. I put a quart of the Harbor Freight rust stuff in it. Plan on rotating it around tonight so I can hit most of the surfaces. A closer look - there is rust in the tank - lots of spots. I did not see it or recognize it when I bought it. Oh well, it isn't too bad. Hey it holds gas.....

When I drained it I put a paper towel in the funnel. I had about a gallon of gas in it that I drained over the towel. I did not see any dust or such.

Tomorrow I plan on removing and disassembling the carbs. I have a can of Gumout I picked up tonight. I have not done a carb since I was about 22 yrs old (now 46). This will be fun. :)

I want to put a fuel filter on it. The fuel line looks OK, no cracking, pretty flexible. I still may replace the line when I pick up the filter. I was going to use a cheap disposable filter from an auto parts store. Is this a good idea or should I get it at the motorcycle shop?

I do like to wrench on stuff... when it is not a primary vehicle that I need to use tomorrow. I do intend to ride this on decent days this winter. So I do want to get it together hopefully this weekend. If not I will drive the minivan.

Thanks to all for the help,
HH

'82 Kawasaki KZ305CSR
but I got one anyway.

More
22 Nov 2013 21:42 #613839 by JR
Replied by JR on topic problem starting
The Gum out will eat rubber so make sure you have the rubber diaphragms removed first. These will be just under the carb tops and usually fit in a specific orientation..

An in line fuel filter is a great idea. Most people use them. If you can't get one from a motorcycle store use one for a lawn tractor. Be careful with ones from an auto parts store. Many auto fuel filters only work when the fuel is under pressure from a fuel pump and won't work on these old bikes.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
23 Nov 2013 14:07 #613907 by happyhunter
The carbs were back on before daylight was over. The left side carb was dirtier than the right side. Both float bowls had some dust/powder in them. The jets on the right side were all open. On the left the idle mixture screw had a bunch of junk under it. One of the jets in the float bowl of the left carb was also clogged.

When I drained the tank I think there may have been some powder around the edges of the paper towel. When I first looked I was looking in the middle of the towel, like bottom center of the funnel, but the petcock was directing the stream to the side of the funnel.

I am still working on the rust in the tank. I have that Harbor Freight stuff in it. Been rotating it around all day, A few hours in each position. So far I do not see anything that is a big improvement. I will probably let it sit all weekend and put the tank back on Monday.

Anyway. It was a good day of productivity. Now other duties call.

Thanks,
HH

'82 Kawasaki KZ305CSR
but I got one anyway.