problem starting

More
17 Nov 2013 05:10 #613242 by happyhunter
problem starting was created by happyhunter
Yesterday I went to pick up my first motorcycle, a 82 KZ305CSR. I had ridden it and it seemed fine. It had a dead battery and the owner push started it down his driveway for me and it fired up pretty easily. After replacing the battery it fired up with no problems.

So it sat for a week while we did title and such, Yesterday it would not fire, the starter spun fine, it had spark, plugs looked fine. I picked up some starter fluid and it still did not fire. Out of desperation someone suggested pushing it down the driveway, like last week. So, we tried it and it fired up for a few seconds and stopped, We repeated that about 20 times: drift it, clutch out, engine fires, sputters for a couple seconds and then dies. Starter fluid did not seem to make any difference.

I was thinking maybe it was flooded and to just let it sit overnight. He tried it again a couple hours later and it did not fire. The gasoline is from last summer but he put Stabil in it and it ran fine last week. I added some fresh gas yesterday before trying to start it.

Suggestions?

'82 Kawasaki KZ305CSR
I did not set out to buy a project bike,
but I got one anyway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2013 13:06 #613287 by happyhunter
Replied by happyhunter on topic problem starting
Today the seller drained the floatbowls and tank and put in fresh gas. It fired up and he drove it to my house.

Now I can not start it. It will catch occasionally and run for a few seconds and then dies. At least it is here, where I can work on it.

It seems to me when it runs, it runs well. Getting it started is the problem. Could the idle circuits be clogged so it does not start or idle...... Could the spark be weak? I wish I could put a voltmeter or such on the plug to know it is sufficient.

I am thinking I will pull the carbs and give them a good cleaning. Are there any gaskets that need replaced whenever you pull the carbs, can they be reused if they are in good shape?

Then maybe new plugs, (although they looked fine).

Thanks for the input,
HH

'82 Kawasaki KZ305CSR
but I got one anyway.

More
17 Nov 2013 13:31 #613288 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic problem starting
Are you sure you are using the proper starting procedure?

For a cold KZ engine:
Fully charged battery
Petcock ON or if vacuum type petcock "PRIME"
Choke on
Kill switch in "RUN" position
Key ON
Clutch lever pulled in
DO NOT touch the throttle
Key ON
Hit the starter button.

Vrooom

Gradually turn the choke back down as engine revs up
After warmup for a couple minutes - go for a ride and smile. :) Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
17 Nov 2013 19:12 #613309 by happyhunter
650ed,
until I ran across your similar post in another thread I had been doing any combo of choke and throttle. I just now tried the cold engine and your sequence and still no fire. Actually the battery is starting to get weak. I can hear my cranking speed is down. I need to get a battery charger.....

Thanks,
HH

'82 Kawasaki KZ305CSR
but I got one anyway.

More
17 Nov 2013 19:53 #613316 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic problem starting
If you get tempted to try to jump start it from another vehicle be sure to turn off the other vehicle's engine or you can fry the bike's electrics. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
17 Nov 2013 20:46 #613318 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic problem starting

happyhunter wrote: 650ed,
until I ran across your similar post in another thread I had been doing any combo of choke and throttle. I just now tried the cold engine and your sequence and still no fire. Actually the battery is starting to get weak. I can hear my cranking speed is down. I need to get a battery charger.....

Thanks,
HH

If you decide to purchase a charger, get a tender. 1.5 amps, about $20 at Walmart.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
18 Nov 2013 20:01 #613437 by happyhunter
Went to Wally world tonight and bought a trickle charger. So tomorrow night I should be able to try it again.

I temporarily unplugged the headlight so I am not draining the battery down so fast to light it. I have always thought the starter did not seem energetic. Not really slow but sure not fast. I do want to check/clean the heavy gauge wire connections all over that bike.

HH

'82 Kawasaki KZ305CSR
but I got one anyway.

More
19 Nov 2013 14:07 #613486 by Cynjut
Replied by Cynjut on topic problem starting
If you're following the proper starting procedure, check the tank. If there is rust on the inside of the tank, it's possible that your jets are now clogged up from stirring up the sediment that settled in the bottom of the tank over the winter.

1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike

More
19 Nov 2013 17:31 #613491 by dkoz
Replied by dkoz on topic problem starting
Ditto on checking tank for rust.that would explain why it ran after the bowls wear drained and fresh gas put in .then would not run after..the rust is very fine pull full line off carb and drain fuel into a funnel with a coffee filter or paper towel in the funnel..you'll see if you have rust

1978 LTD B2 smashed
1978 Z1R D1
1978 A2

More
19 Nov 2013 20:04 #613508 by happyhunter
I did get it running tonight. I did the procedure that 650ed suggested. It did not fire with four attempts. I gave a squirt of starting fluid into the airbox and it did fire up for a few seconds then stopped. I used starting fluid for about 3 starts then I could get it started without it. I had to keep revving it to keep it alive. Got it warmed up enough that I could ride it around the block a few times. I put about 3 miles on it going around the neighborhood. It ran well when I was on the gas. But it would not idle, it would rev down and stop. I needed about 1/2 choke to get it to start each time.

I am going to check for rust tomorrow or Thursday. I will use a coffee filter. I do not see rust when I look in the tank. I think I will pick up a fuel filter to put after petcock before carbs. Is this a good idea? I am thinking it is. The way it does not idle... could that be caused by clogged idle circuits?

It was fun and encouraging to actually ride it tonight. Man that was fun. Gives me hope for the future of it.

Thanks for the help!!
HH

'82 Kawasaki KZ305CSR
but I got one anyway.

More
19 Nov 2013 20:15 #613509 by dkoz
Sounds like what I went through..drain the whole tank .I used paper towel now that I think about it because the coffee filter kept collapsing ..inline filters are what I'm using and I had to clean the tank ..Yamaha's tank kit for 20 bucks Cleans spick n span if that is your problem clean your jets especially pilot.got pics?? Good luck

1978 LTD B2 smashed
1978 Z1R D1
1978 A2

More
19 Nov 2013 20:19 #613510 by dkoz
If its fine dust particles in fuel you won't see it in the fuel but u will see it accumulated on the paper towel and it burgers up them pilot jets quick like concrete

1978 LTD B2 smashed
1978 Z1R D1
1978 A2