Carb holder screws

More
29 Aug 2013 23:10 #603834 by Rev
Carb holder screws was created by Rev
:huh: When replacing the carb holders should you torque the screws to any particular value?

78 kz650, Maxi-dwell, Modified flow through air box, Dyna coils.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2013 23:21 #603838 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Carb holder screws
Excellent question! The Kawasaki Service Manual calls for the use of a non-permanent locking agent (like BLUE Loctite). It doesn’t specify torque for those screws separately, but since they are 6mm 1.0 pitch screws it calls for 4.5 – 6.5 ft. lbs. in the general torque table. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
29 Aug 2013 23:27 #603843 by Rev
Replied by Rev on topic Carb holder screws
Thanks Ed. I knew I could count on someone here to come up with a value. ;)

More
29 Aug 2013 23:32 #603847 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Carb holder screws
Not easy to use a torque wrench on a philips head screw. Main thing is hope and pray they are not seized in the head. These frequently will break off when trying to remove, then you are in deep trouble. I wouldn't worry about torque or using loctite. Getting them off is the main issue.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
29 Aug 2013 23:44 #603855 by Rev
Replied by Rev on topic Carb holder screws
Screws came off with no problem and have switched over to allen head harden steel screws.

More
29 Aug 2013 23:47 #603856 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Carb holder screws
Using SS in Aluminum can cause galling/seizing. I use a little of the silver Anti-seize on the first few threads. Makes for easier removal next time.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
29 Aug 2013 23:59 - 30 Aug 2013 00:03 #603859 by 650ed
Deleted - question answered. Ed

Last edit: 30 Aug 2013 00:03 by 650ed.

More
31 Aug 2013 10:05 - 31 Aug 2013 10:07 #604118 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Carb holder screws

650ed wrote: Excellent question! The Kawasaki Service Manual calls for the use of a non-permanent locking agent (like BLUE Loctite). It doesn’t specify torque for those screws separately, but since they are 6mm 1.0 pitch screws it calls for 4.5 – 6.5 ft. lbs. in the general torque table. Ed

I remember a few months ago you jumping all over me for suggesting this and even gave you the page in the manual where it states it. Must a found it in the manual huh.

I went around 60 to 65 inch pounds on them so 5 to 5 and a half pounds sounds about right and felt nice and solid.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.
Last edit: 31 Aug 2013 10:07 by KZB2 650.

More
31 Aug 2013 10:09 #604120 by KZB2 650

RonKZ650 wrote: Not easy to use a torque wrench on a philips head screw. Main thing is hope and pray they are not seized in the head. These frequently will break off when trying to remove, then you are in deep trouble. I wouldn't worry about torque or using loctite. Getting them off is the main issue.

This why allen heads work so nice here. ;)

1978 KZ650 b-2
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.

More
31 Aug 2013 14:23 - 31 Aug 2013 14:30 #604146 by 650ed

KZB2 650 wrote:

650ed wrote: Excellent question! The Kawasaki Service Manual calls for the use of a non-permanent locking agent (like BLUE Loctite). It doesn’t specify torque for those screws separately, but since they are 6mm 1.0 pitch screws it calls for 4.5 – 6.5 ft. lbs. in the general torque table. Ed

I remember a few months ago you jumping all over me for suggesting this and even gave you the page in the manual where it states it. Must a found it in the manual huh....

Dude you are SO wrong it is not even funny! Where do you come up with this nonsense?

Here's the BS you recommended 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

"They recommend using blue lock tight on these in the manual. Plugs, valve cover bolts, side cover allens etc love anti sieze but not on these."

Notice you DID NOT EVEN MENTION carb holder screws! You were talking about a bunch of fasteners that according to the manual DO NOT get loctite. Loctite on the plugs? Really?? You do that?? Here's the link to your posting - try READING it - YOU wrote it!
kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/586732-kz...-and-sputters#587779

So YES. I jumped all over you for giving such rotten advice! It was rotten then and it is still rotten and I still stand by every word that I wrote! Here's what I stated:

"What - are you kidding??? The Kawasaki Service Manuals I have are VERY SPECIFIC about which fasteners get a locking agent (loctite) and those manuals DO NOT recommend using locktight of any type on any of the fasteners you listed - DON'T DO IT! That is really bad advice! What manual do you have that recommends using locktight on any of those fasteners??? Please show me the text. Ed"

Here's the link to my posting - try READING it!
kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/586732-kz...-and-sputters#587783

Maybe YOU need to find the manual and read it! I have already read mine. Ed

Last edit: 31 Aug 2013 14:30 by 650ed.

More
31 Aug 2013 23:18 #604211 by KZB2 650

650ed wrote:

KZB2 650 wrote:

I remember a few months ago you jumping all over me for suggesting this and even gave you the page in the manual where it states it. Must a found it in the manual huh....

Dude you are SO wrong it is not even funny! Where do you come up with this nonsense?

Here's the BS you recommended 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

"They recommend using blue lock tight on these in the manual. Plugs, valve cover bolts, side cover allens etc love anti sieze but not on these."

Notice you DID NOT EVEN MENTION carb holder screws! You were talking about a bunch of fasteners that according to the manual DO NOT get loctite. Loctite on the plugs? Really?? You do that?? Here's the link to your posting - try READING it - YOU wrote it!
kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/586732-kz...-and-sputters#587779

So YES. I jumped all over you for giving such rotten advice! It was rotten then and it is still rotten and I still stand by every word that I wrote! Here's what I stated:

"What - are you kidding??? The Kawasaki Service Manuals I have are VERY SPECIFIC about which fasteners get a locking agent (loctite) and those manuals DO NOT recommend using locktight of any type on any of the fasteners you listed - DON'T DO IT! That is really bad advice! What manual do you have that recommends using locktight on any of those fasteners??? Please show me the text. Ed"

Here's the link to my posting - try READING it!
kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/586732-kz...-and-sputters#587783

Maybe YOU need to find the manual and read it! I have already read mine. Ed

What the hell do you think I meant by these !!!!! since they were talking about carb holder screws getting anti sieze I pointed out the manual says blue locktite on them and not anti sieze. I then told you you mis understood and I ment anti sieze is fine on plugs, valve cover bolts etc but no the carb holder screws which should be locktited.

1978 KZ650 b-2

More
31 Aug 2013 23:38 #604219 by 74ullc
Replied by 74ullc on topic Carb holder screws
It's just a misunderstanding between you two guys. Since I have just had a few beers in rapid succession I will now be able to explain exactly what happened. :lol:

You wrote...

Ed read....

In the manual they recommend using blue lock tight on plugs, valve cover bolts, side cover allens, etc.

You meant....

They recommend using blue lock tight on carb holder screws in the manual. Plugs, valve cover bolts, side cover allens, ect love anti seize but not on carb holder bolts.

It was a little confusing the way it was written originally. The word "these" was referring to carb holder screws but it was vague.....or something like that. My High School English teacher could probably explain it better.

Speaking of High School English.....I had this teacher, I think junior year....some days she would wear a very short blue jean skirt. On those days and ONLY those days she would sit on her desk facing the class. What a wonderful woman! We must have been 15-16 yrs old....all us guys going nuts on those days! Looking back on it she knew EXACTLY what she was doing! Just like the car washing gal in "Cool Hand Luke". Time for another beer.....maybe I'll throw old Cool Hand in the Blu Ray...been too long.

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed, KZB2 650