Took the plunge

More
12 Jul 2013 19:44 #596225 by Calico
Replied by Calico on topic Took the plunge
Well I didn't mean to spur any negativity guys.

Keeping her stock is ideal for those who aren't gear-heads. If all you want is simply reliable transportation and have a general dislike for working/tuning/maintaining your bike, then keep it stock. Or if you are a collector/loyalist, then I totally get it.

On the other hand, I get almost as much enjoyment out of modifying as I do riding. Hell, I'll hotrod a can-opener. I'm very glad that I found this site because no matter how long I've been working on many different types of bikes, there's usually new discoveries to be had. I enjoy ALL of the different opinions because I can learn from just about anyone. So a big thanks to all of you.

With that said, I promise in the future to give everyone something to have a gripe fiesta. i.e: Spark plugs, oil, additives. Haha! Y'all have a great day!!!

81' KZ750LTD 4 CYL
82' KZ750LTD 4 CYL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2013 19:48 #596227 by Calico
One thing that I DO know NOT to do is buy Dyna coils. Very short lifespan. Accel is what I'm looking towards :woohoo:

81' KZ750LTD 4 CYL
82' KZ750LTD 4 CYL

More
12 Jul 2013 19:58 #596230 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Took the plunge

Calico wrote:
...Keeping her stock is ideal for those who aren't gear-heads. If all you want is simply reliable transportation and have a general dislike for working/tuning/maintaining your bike, then keep it stock....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Now THAT'S a funny comment! I'm sure you are just kidding. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just try to keep a bike stock for 36 years and ride it every season without working/tuning/maintaining it! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Please - try it! I believe you will find it is much more challenging than you thought. I'm not talking about a bike encased in Lucite; I mean a bike that you actually ride. Put more than 50,000 miles on a vintage stock bike while keeping it in good shape - then let us know if you change your opinion. I can tell you from personal experience that modifying a bike to keep it running is far easier than tracking down stock pieces in great condition. I've done both. ;) Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
12 Jul 2013 20:08 #596234 by Calico
I wrote "dislike working/tuning/maintaining" Ed. And YES, it is definitely easier than hunting QUALITY stock replacements

81' KZ750LTD 4 CYL
82' KZ750LTD 4 CYL

More
12 Jul 2013 20:15 #596236 by Calico
But then, it's not all about how easy it is. There those amongst us (myself included) who hunger for power. Some look at it as improvement and some look at it under a different light. That's all.

81' KZ750LTD 4 CYL
82' KZ750LTD 4 CYL

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
12 Jul 2013 20:49 #596241 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Took the plunge
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it. But if it is more power pods are not your answer. Been there done that. Pods look nice and are an aid in getting your carbs on and off. It about stops there. More power means displacement or your do not mention turbo. These engineers know what they are doing when designing the bikes. Do you think they designed airboxes just to teach us a lesson about WWII? Yes if you like tinkering or frustrations or just like wrenchin or need to look good...er.different, pods can help. But I think you will be disappointed in power increases. Unless that sucking sound makes you think you are going faster. 3 generations of bikers here that appreciates pods because lots of people who switched did not like their bikes that much anymore and either destroyed their boxes removing them or just don't feel like going through the hassel of re-installing it and instead sells the bike cheap. I fully support those who change to pods as long as they know what they might encounter going in. Do a pods vs Airbox search and do homework. If you still want pods then have at it! They may be your friend, they may also be something completely different.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

More
12 Jul 2013 22:31 #596253 by Calico
Thank you. My bike was running tip top before the change. I've been turning wrenches for about 30 years. I'm a certified mechanic and have a 1/2 life's experience in racing strip. This doesn't by any means say that I've "been to the mountain" and know all. But I have a lot of experience. I know when the carbs want to pull more is just 3 simple steps away from a massive increase. Also, though atm not a jump in power, it does make the bike more responsive at the twist. To each their own is my policy. But I don't see any reason to turn back from where I'm heading. (not that you were trying to say that)

81' KZ750LTD 4 CYL
82' KZ750LTD 4 CYL