need a doctor here

• nitrokrumpt
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • she just looks rough now
More
09 Jun 2013 01:24 #591386 by nitrokrumpt
need a doctor here was created by nitrokrumpt
hey guys. love the forum! lets see what you guys got... i have a 1982 kz750 spectre. (pics coming soon) she been down for a good 3 years. get it all buttoned up, started for the first time and had #4 header out. took carbs off, read forum!!! seen vacuum system plays a big role so replaced the reed valve hoses, cleaned all carbon inside reeds and around, took carb bowls off and really just sprayed carb cleaner in jets, took float needles out cleaned the little film line that all four seemed to have, wrapped them back on, started right up but now #1 hole is out...i did a vacuum test with the wd40...seemed good... when i hit the throttle in neutral, say to 4500 rpm...rpms will stick and maybe even slightly raise rpms for a good, id say, 4-5 seconds then slowly go back down... i took it on the road to see if i could knock loose anthting that could be jammed and through all the gears it is super weak till it finally gets toward the top of the gear then wants to scream....also i will boogie to a quick 45 mph push clutch in and if i dont hit the gas will stall out...also is it normal in idle to feel and hear a clicking noise coming from the choke lever??? thanx alot KZrs!!

1982 kz750-n1 spectre

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nitrokrumpt
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jun 2013 14:12 - 11 Jun 2013 14:40 #591608 by nitrokrumpt
Replied by nitrokrumpt on topic need a doctor here
...is my question too long....??

1982 kz750-n1 spectre
Last edit: 11 Jun 2013 14:40 by nitrokrumpt.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
10 Jun 2013 14:18 - 10 Jun 2013 14:21 #591611 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic need a doctor here
Sounds like a lean condition to me. Check for air leaks around the carb boots. That rubber gets brittle and develops small cracks over time. Might be time for new boots.

Oh and I'm not a doctor but I am staying at a Holiday Inn Express tonight! :)

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN
Last edit: 10 Jun 2013 14:21 by testarossa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nitrokrumpt

More
10 Jun 2013 19:22 #591655 by boatdrinks
Replied by boatdrinks on topic need a doctor here
If the bike sat for three years without running you will need to remove the carbs again and disassemble them to properly clean them. Spraying carb cleaner at the jets didn't do anything for you. You should also consider getting a factory service manual for your specific model. It will be extremely helpful with trouble shooting and correcting any deficiencies.

Charles
Madison, AL
1978 KZ650 B2A, Luminous Dark Blue

• nitrokrumpt
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Jun 2013 14:37 - 11 Jun 2013 14:38 #591766 by nitrokrumpt
alright so, carbs are off will be getting the works for a cleaning...bench sync all that... now another wondeful 30+ yr old bike problem. i go to take off the 4 boots that mount to the block. And #1's top allenbolt snapped off...and flush...i tried drilling it to allow an easy out in it and snapped the hardened steel easy out right off into the hole...i think drilling is the only way. hate when a no problem turns into a big one. also, the slides in the carbs are activated by the vacuum? if the slides were still dirty or a little dirty, would that cause them to close slower meaning my rpms take so long to come down?? i thank you both for your entries!! alsooooo, when i took apart my carbs, either the main jet primary or secondary, cant remeber which one, was so tight that trying to loosen it it chipped a little where u put the pressure to turn and lossen the jet, that a problem
? oh and i do have a service manual (kawasakis)

1982 kz750-n1 spectre
Last edit: 11 Jun 2013 14:38 by nitrokrumpt. Reason: to add

More
11 Jun 2013 19:43 #591806 by kimsmith4807
Replied by kimsmith4807 on topic need a doctor here
No short cutting here. You have alot going on and I am in agreement with boatdrinks. A manual and a full carb clean/rebuild is in order.

1981 KZ1000-K1 LTD

• nitrokrumpt
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jun 2013 03:56 #591884 by nitrokrumpt
whats a boatdrink?

1982 kz750-n1 spectre

More
12 Jun 2013 06:31 #591889 by boatdrinks
Replied by boatdrinks on topic need a doctor here
it's a Jimmy Buffett tune.

Charles
Madison, AL
1978 KZ650 B2A, Luminous Dark Blue

• nitrokrumpt
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jun 2013 13:23 #591938 by nitrokrumpt
haha that doesnt help me.... deftones is usuall;y played thru my speakers

1982 kz750-n1 spectre

• nitrokrumpt
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jun 2013 15:50 - 13 Jun 2013 15:51 #592114 by nitrokrumpt
i cant believe im not getting any more inputs on all of this.... the clicking going on, on the choke lever while idling??? normal???? while idling, you can feel, and Hear a clicking...i pinpointed where the sound was coming from by feeling the choke lever and no doubt thats where the clicking noise is coming from

1982 kz750-n1 spectre
Last edit: 13 Jun 2013 15:51 by nitrokrumpt.

More
13 Jun 2013 16:23 #592118 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic need a doctor here
whats exactly your question?

not easy to follow you...

More
13 Jun 2013 17:51 - 13 Jun 2013 17:54 #592127 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic need a doctor here
You have begun your affair with your KZ by making a classic & common mistake - breaking fasteners. This problem is extremely simple to avoid; no fastener should ever be broken when being removed. Breaking the carb holder fasteners is one of the most common mistakes, but there are others that will break too if brute force rather than chemical assistance is used. As you are learning the hard way dealing with broken fasteners is no fun at all.

Please consider the following; it's a shame you hadn't read it before applying too much force to the screws, but it can save you headaches in the future.

TOOLS

Buy a can of Kroil penetrating oil and use it to soak stubborn fasteners for a couple days before trying to loosen them. Remember, the original screws and bolts were installed on your bike when Jimmy Carter was President, so many of them may be hard to remove. Kroil can be bought online, at guns shows, and at some other venues. This stuff has saved me MUCH heartache on fasteners that hadn't been removed in more than 30 years.

Attachment 00000_2013-06-13-2.jpg not found

Before reaching for that Phillips screwdriver to do a repair or maintenance PLEASE do yourself a big favor and visit the following link. It explains the fact that Phillips screwdriver tips will wreck the crosshead screws (they are not Phillips - they are JIS screws) on your KZ650 and tells how to easily deal with this issue so it will not be a problem.

kzrider.com/forum/21-tools/532335-budget...ewdriver-tips#532335

Before reaching for that wrench or ratchet consider the following. The bolts are steel, but your engine and front forks are aluminum. The bolts are much tougher than the aluminum and if over tightened will strip the aluminum threads. Although these can be repaired, preventing damage by applying proper torque will save you grief, time, and money. Tightening fasteners properly requires torque wrenches. Various vendors, including Snap-on, CDI, Sears, etc., market torque wrenches. The two most popular types are the bar type and micrometer type. Either will work, but the micrometer type is a bit easier to use, especially if you are tightening several fasteners with the same torque - such as cylinder head covers. You will need a torque wrench calibrated in INCH POUNDS for many of the bolts. You will also need a torque wrench calibrated in FOOT POUNDS for the larger bolts. Don't try to use the foot pounds wrench on the smaller bolts as it will not be sensitive enough at low torque settings to provide accurate torque. There are many fasteners that require low torque. These include such things as 6mm oil pan bolts, cylinder head cover bolts, etc. for which the torque in 61-78 inch pounds. These low torque bolts require a wrench that is accurate at low settings and this wrench should be graduated in inch pounds. In addition, there are numerous high torque fasteners such as the front axle nuts (51 - 65 foot pounds) or swing arm pivot shaft nuts (58 - 87 foot pounds). These require a wrench that is accurate at higher settings; this wrench should be graduated in foot pounds. Using the proper torque wrenches to correctly tighten fasteners will help prevent damage and contribute to a safe bike. The Kawasaki Service Manual will list the various torque specs for the bolts. I suggest you get the manual before buying the torque wrenches so you can decide which wrenches best meet the torque specs.

MOTOR OIL
The ingredients in oils have changed over the years. For example, today's Castrol GTX oil (and pretty much all other AUTOMOBILE oil) is not the same as it was in the 1980's. Back then it worked great in KZ bikes. But, things have changed. Early AUTOMOBILE oils contained zinc phosphorus compounds (ZDDP) to protect engine components from metal to metal contact. This was good for engines, but it was found to be destructive to catalytic converters. Consequently, in AUTOMOBILE oils ZDDP was virtually eliminated and replaced with different chemistry generically referred to as "Friction Modifiers." These work fine and offer good protection for normal AUTOMOBILE engines. However, today's AUTOMOBILE oil "Friction Modifiers" are destructive to wet clutches. KZ bikes (and many other brands) have wet clutches. As a result of these oil chemistry changes a distinction needed to be made between those oils which are suitable for wet clutches and those which are not. That distinction was documented by the Japanese Engine Oil Standards Implementation Panel (JASO). JASO developed a number of different oil specifications for different applications. The specifications that apply to 4 stroke motorcycles fall under the "4T Specifications." Within the 4T specifications the JASO MA class oils are specifically formulated for 4 stroke motorcycles with wet clutches.

There are synthetic, semi-synthetic, and non-synthetic oils that meet the JASO-MA standard and any of them will work ok. However, using oils that are not designated as meeting the JASO-MA standard is destructive to KZ clutches.

Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Jun 2013 17:54 by 650ed.