83 gpz won't start

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
26 Mar 2013 00:36 #578801 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic 83 gpz won't start
If you take the diaphragms/slides out on the top there is 2 holes that you can spray carb cleaner into if you still have a straw. beware it may shoot out of the main jet and hit your face. don't get any carb cleaner on the rubber parts. you don't have to take the carbs off for this operation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2013 19:53 #578963 by JR
Replied by JR on topic 83 gpz won't start

BLACKBEARD wrote: I picked up an 83 gpz 750 about two years ago...................... The air filter pods did not arrive yet, could the fact that I don't have the pods on yet be the reason it's not starting??

Are you still trying to start it with no airbox or Pod air filter ? If so then I believe that will be difficult as the engine is getting way to much air and not enough gas. Wrong gas / air mixture.
With the pods fitted you will need to rejet. With an airbox and filter fitted you have a better chance of getting it started assuming the carbs are clean and you have spark and compression.
Good luck

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
23 Apr 2013 00:15 #583642 by BLACKBEARD
Replied by BLACKBEARD on topic 83 gpz won't start
So my air filters (pods) finally came in and I put them on. Question being, with th current jetting I have(135 mains,42.5 pilots). Where should my air/fuel screws be at?? Because it runs on the choke and dies with any kind of throttle, but the further I came out with the Air screws the better it got.

83 Gpz 750 named Rusty.

More
23 Apr 2013 00:26 #583643 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic 83 gpz won't start
Your symptoms are classic for dirty carbs still. When you clean them make sure all the tiny little passageways are clean especially the idle circuits, use Patton's diagram. I have worked on many a motorcycle that the owner says he has cleaned the carbs numerous times but when I take them apart I find all the small passageways clogged. You need to be really detailed here.
As for jetting Go back to a #40 pilot and try 122.5 mains, put a small 1mm thick washer under each needle to raise them up for a richer setting. Your jetting is way to rich for the 750. By the way you cannot tune a set of dirty carbs by re-jetting them.

More
23 Apr 2013 23:13 #583771 by BLACKBEARD
I was thinking the same thing, that my carbs may be still dirty. So I should get some time in the shop tomorrow to clean them again, and I can relate to cleaning carbs. I detail cars for a living. Another question, I've eliminated the air box for pods,what do I do with the vacuum hoses?
:unsure:

Thanks

83 Gpz 750 named Rusty.

More
24 Apr 2013 00:31 #583787 by BLACKBEARD
Never thought I could tune a set of dirty carbs by re jetting. I didn't clean them good enough.

83 Gpz 750 named Rusty.

More
24 Apr 2013 12:56 #583821 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic 83 gpz won't start
I beleieve your carbs are Mikuni BS34's so all but one vacumn line needs to be plugged the other vacumn line needs to go the the fuel petcock.

More
25 Apr 2013 12:32 #583967 by BLACKBEARD
Would I be asking for a catastrophe if I soaked the carbs even though they are painted? Also I'm using a fuel cell for until my tank comes back.(vacuum hose question)

83 Gpz 750 named Rusty.

More
25 Apr 2013 23:06 #584045 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic 83 gpz won't start
Find a shop with an ultra sonic cleaner
and have them clean your carb's.

We have one at work and they WILL get all
the junk out a wire and spray can never will.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

More
08 May 2013 23:55 #586479 by BLACKBEARD
Question...Should there be a clip in the top of the diaphragm to hold down the plastic disc over top the needle? :angry:

83 Gpz 750 named Rusty.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
09 May 2013 01:02 #586501 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic 83 gpz won't start
The spring holds it down.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
11 May 2013 02:14 #586814 by WABBMW
Replied by WABBMW on topic 83 gpz won't start
This is a remote possibility, but there are two vent hoses on the back side of the carbs. One between carbs 1 & 2; and the other between 3 & 4. These are about 3/8" diameter. THEY SHOULD BE OPEN TO THE ATMOSPHERE !!! Normally, hoses connected to these fittings come together into a "Tee" fitting and then a single hose runs down through the frame toward the ground. If these are not open, then as fuel tries to fill the bowls, the air above the fuel becomes pressurized, not allowing any more fuel to fill the bowls. Fuel level will remain way too low.

The reason I know this --- is that the previous owner of my bike had connected a hose that ran from one vent to the other. The result was that the vents were capped off so no ventilation could occur. IT TOOK ME FOREVER TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WAS WRONG. The symptoms were similar to what you describe. Good luck.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)