Modified Stock Exhaust

• johnjones750csr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Mar 2013 21:56 #576248 by johnjones750csr
Replied by johnjones750csr on topic Modified Stock Exhaust
This is why I have learned to think for them lol. In my world which is tons of rush hour everyday, EVERYONE is going to pull in front of me or cut me off. It's me VS the rest of the idiots on the road talking on their cell phones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnjones750csr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Mar 2013 21:58 #576250 by johnjones750csr
oh, and the fact that my bike is yellow and I wear a bright red jacket helps some :) But some of them aren't going to see me even if I had a giant neon sign above my head that says LOOK AT ME! so I have to look for them and anticipate their moves. I find myself saying in my head "dont pull out dont pull out dont pull out" when I am in a position to not get out of the way safely
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
09 Mar 2013 22:17 - 10 Mar 2013 00:02 #576253 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Modified Stock Exhaust

johnjones750csr wrote: Our stock handlebars aren't 1" though are they? Or can they be made to fit on a 1" handlebar? It's only like 2mm off of ours I think.

KZ handlebars are 7/8" diameter, that are clamped onto the stem head.
There are many different shapes of 7/8" handlebars available.
They are constructed as a single part.

"Clip-on" handlebars come in two parts, being a left handlebar and a right handlebar. Clip-on's typically attach to the tops of the fork tubes protruding above their clamps in the stem head. Or may attach to the fork tubes below the top stem.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 10 Mar 2013 00:02 by Patton.

• johnjones750csr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Mar 2013 23:38 #576286 by johnjones750csr
So if the controls on our handlebars are designed for a 7/8" bar, and the clipon bars are 1" the controls wont fit will they? The ones that I saw on that website were all 1" bars, which our controls wouldn't fit on if I am correct?

More
10 Mar 2013 00:14 - 10 Mar 2013 00:16 #576293 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Modified Stock Exhaust

johnjones750csr wrote: So if the controls on our handlebars are designed for a 7/8" bar, and the clipon bars are 1" the controls wont fit will they? The ones that I saw on that website were all 1" bars, which our controls wouldn't fit on if I am correct?

There are plenty of 7/8" clip-on handlebar styles available from various sources, and which are compatible with the 7/8" controls.

The clip-on's also come in different lengths, depending on what's preferred. As with standard one-piece handlebars, clip-on's may usually be shortened to the exact length desired.

An important measurement involved is diameter of the clip-on's attachment clamp, as the clamp size must match the bike's fork tube diameter.

Many after-market clip-on sellers furnish both the clamp size and a list of the stock motorcycle models that each clamp size fits (i.e., fork tube diameters).

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 10 Mar 2013 00:16 by Patton.

More
10 Mar 2013 21:40 - 10 Mar 2013 21:41 #576433 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Modified Stock Exhaust

wireman wrote: On the other hand I don't know if it makes the average idiot in a car pay attention

The average "idiot" in a car is sharply focused forward since they are driving in traffic. They also have an interior noise level of maybe 75 dBA and significant attenuation of exterior sounds unlike somebody standing in their front yard.

Out here in California, lane straddling is not always prosecuted and I see bikes coming up from behind sometimes going 80 between traffic going 60. I saw a pair of harleys coming up between lanes and I did not hear a sound until they came even with my door mirror at which point it sounded like a bomb went off.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 10 Mar 2013 21:41 by bountyhunter.