Modified Stock Exhaust

More
09 Mar 2013 13:43 #576136 by mick z1a
Replied by mick z1a on topic Modified Stock Exhaust
b;gg;r that sounds much better than cards, if only id known :pinch:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2013 14:27 #576157 by DesertKZ
Replied by DesertKZ on topic Modified Stock Exhaust
My pipes were covered in small dents and the chrome was trashed from what it looked like a battery explosion. I cut the cap off, took 12" off the muffler and welded the cap back on and painted them matte black. Better flowing, sounds alot louder and still enough back pressure. I wanted to keep the dual exhaust and this was the easiest solution IMHO and I like the look.

1979 KZ1000 Shaft
1979 CX500C
1975 GT750 Smoker
Attachments:

• johnjones750csr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Mar 2013 15:23 #576169 by johnjones750csr
Replied by johnjones750csr on topic Modified Stock Exhaust
That looks very good.. What handlebars are those? Mine are uncomfortable for me I would like a lower style.

More
09 Mar 2013 15:49 #576173 by DesertKZ
They are clip-ons

1979 KZ1000 Shaft
1979 CX500C
1975 GT750 Smoker

More
09 Mar 2013 20:55 - 09 Mar 2013 20:55 #576225 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Modified Stock Exhaust

johnjones750csr wrote: Has anyone here ever just modified the stock exhaust? I have an 82 750 twin that I would like a little more flow and sound out of the exhaust, but the stock exhaust is still in really good shape. Could one just remove the rivets and take the stuff out of the pipe and increase flow and sound coming from it?

Yeah, some idiot I know drilled the rear baffles on his 750 twin stock pipes to get more noise back in 1981. Got a little more sound, engine ran weak and hesitated from lean condition. Sure wish I still had a set of nice stock exhausts.

Removing the rivets won't work on stock pipes.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 09 Mar 2013 20:55 by bountyhunter.

More
09 Mar 2013 20:58 #576226 by bountyhunter

650ed wrote: Nice stock exhaust systems have considerable value; once modified they aren't worth much at all. If yours is in really good shape you may want to consider selling it and buying an aftermarket 2 into one. You could end up breaking even or making a few $$ and having a new exhaust that meets your expectations. Ed

Problem is, the only new 2-1 for 750 twins is MAC and they do have a nice sound, but sacrifice performance IMHO. Definitely lose low end power and ttorque compared to stock because no crossover pipe.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
09 Mar 2013 21:00 #576229 by bountyhunter

650ed wrote:

mopguy wrote: I drilled a couple of holes in mine as it was too quiet and nobody heard me coming, its louder now, but not too loud and definetly people can hear me coming now. You know what the saying is, loud bikes save lives. Good luck.

I've heard that saying, but I've never seen evidence. I would say driving defensively saves lives. ;)

No, it's scientific fact that loud pipes will save lives and warn people you are coming.... as long as you are riding backwards since all the sound comes out to the rear.

Riding forward..... no help. :blink:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• johnjones750csr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Mar 2013 21:07 #576230 by johnjones750csr
which ones are they? will they fit on the stock forks?

More
09 Mar 2013 21:24 - 09 Mar 2013 21:25 #576236 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Modified Stock Exhaust

bountyhunter wrote:

650ed wrote:

mopguy wrote: I drilled a couple of holes in mine as it was too quiet and nobody heard me coming, its louder now, but not too loud and definetly people can hear me coming now. You know what the saying is, loud bikes save lives. Good luck.

I've heard that saying, but I've never seen evidence. I would say driving defensively saves lives. ;)

No, it's scientific fact that loud pipes will save lives and warn people you are coming.... as long as you are riding backwards since all the sound comes out to the rear.

I know loud pipes did not help on my old BSA. It was so loud I was ticketed for making excessive noise by Baltimore motorcycle cops on Harleys (no joke), and yet cars still tried to run me down. It seemed like they came from miles away to do it; I think the noise attracted them like bees to honey. :laugh:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 09 Mar 2013 21:25 by 650ed.

More
09 Mar 2013 21:28 - 09 Mar 2013 21:30 #576239 by DesertKZ
QUOTE "which ones are they? will they fit on the stock forks?"

Find out your fork tube size from here...
www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20950.0

Then go here...
www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/StoreFront

1979 KZ1000 Shaft
1979 CX500C
1975 GT750 Smoker
Last edit: 09 Mar 2013 21:30 by DesertKZ.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
09 Mar 2013 21:33 - 09 Mar 2013 21:39 #576242 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Modified Stock Exhaust

bountyhunter wrote:

650ed wrote:

I don't know I was told many times in the past that people could here me coming from several miles away through the hills running through the gears with an uncorked header on my old 1327,many times it was the cass county sherriff waiting for me to come rolling into Louisville! :whistle: :sick: :laugh:
On the other hand I don't know if it makes the average idiot in a car pay attention,Ive had idiots pull out in front of my old dump truck pulling a trailer and excavator and say they didn't see my big ass red dump truck coming down the hill at 45mph!
Took the front end right off of a ford 1t 4x4 superduty truck one time that way,yes there are stupid people out there! :sick:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Last edit: 09 Mar 2013 21:39 by wireman.

• johnjones750csr
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Mar 2013 21:54 #576246 by johnjones750csr
Our stock handlebars aren't 1" though are they? Or can they be made to fit on a 1" handlebar? It's only like 2mm off of ours I think.