Regular, Mid-grade, or Premium fuel?

More
25 Jun 2012 19:19 #531681 by 74ullc
Replied by 74ullc on topic Regular, Mid-grade, or Premium fuel?

650ed wrote: You are lucky! Around here all gas contains 10% ethanol - no options. Ed

I live near Houston, no ethanol free fuel here either. I'm running marine sta-bil in everything I own. Not sure if its a fix all but it cant hurt.

A friend of mine has a 2004 Lamborghini Gallardo. After quite a bit of research and speaking with Lamborghini mechanics he started running Marine sta-bil also.

Word is that 15% ethanol will be standard around here soon. Then what....20%, 25%, until eventually nothing will run anymore and we will all be forced to buy new cars made for that crap?

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2012 19:51 #531686 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Regular, Mid-grade, or Premium fuel?
Octane rating is nothing more than a simple way to compare the tendency to self detonate of various fuel blends, based on a rough comparison to a pure gasoline comprised of 8-carbon molecules (OCTane). The higher the rating, the more resistant to detonation the fuel will be, all other factors remaining the same. A high compression engine on a hot summer day being ridden hard and with a lean fuel mixture will have a strong tendency toward detonation and will NEED fuel with a high octane rating. A stock KZ engine on a warm day being ridden moderately with a correct air/fuel ratio will be fairly resistant to knock and happy with 87 or 89 octane. If under load, you experience some knock, a higher octane fuel is called for. Using a fuel with a higher than needed octane rating is a wast of money and can lead to diminished power.
A couple of guys at ZRXOA took a bike to a local dyno and ran it with several fuels with different octane ratings. Too low = mild detonation. Too high = less hp. The correct fuel = nirvana. aaaaaaahhhh. B)

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58, Tomolu5

More
25 Jun 2012 19:56 #531688 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Regular, Mid-grade, or Premium fuel?
Ethanol has the effect of making the mixture leaner. The owners manual for my Dodge pickup (which can run on E85) says to expect a 25% decrease in mileage and power on the E85. It also says not go back and forth between E10 and E85. I guess the poor little computer would be too confused.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
25 Jun 2012 21:30 #531715 by gsnfl
Replied by gsnfl on topic Regular, Mid-grade, or Premium fuel?
But it's leaded...mmmm sweet, sweet smelling leaded gas.

I also have a whole freezer full of enhanced-cruelty veal but that's for another forum.

77 KZ650 C1 basket case project-blowed up and parted out

83 KZ550 M1-Prince to Toecutter transition

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
25 Jun 2012 22:18 #531730 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Regular, Mid-grade, or Premium fuel?
Next real hot day I'm going to give the 91 octane / no ethanol a try.
It was only another 15 cents a gal.

78 KZ1000 A2A

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
25 Jun 2012 22:23 #531734 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Regular, Mid-grade, or Premium fuel?
I Love the smell of Turbo Blue in the morning.

It smells like Victory...

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
25 Jun 2012 23:14 #531755 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Regular, Mid-grade, or Premium fuel?
i am not sure...i run whatever i want and i want different stuff on different days.......some days i run mid...some the high $$$...but the old bike runs the same on any gas imo

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• kawasaki mike
  • User
  • kawasaki mike
More
03 Aug 2012 00:12 #540401 by kawasaki mike
Replied by kawasaki mike on topic Regular, Mid-grade, or Premium fuel?
Thats the compression the kawasaki was built to have. It produces about 82 horse power so that tells right away its no hog.Wouldnt have one!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am addicted to Z1's and kz 900's have an el camino, fly rc helicoptors and am strung out on horsepower.