from four to two

• seanbarney41
  • User
  • '79 kz1000 LTD '75 Honda CB750
More
10 Oct 2010 10:56 - 10 Oct 2010 10:59 #405677 by seanbarney41
Replied by seanbarney41 on topic from four to two
LLC, as far as using the Holley as a sidedraft, it won't work because of the float bowls. Yeah, a holley on a straight six is to the side of the engine, but it's still a downdraft, the intake is pointed up. MC carbs are sidedraft, the intake is in the horizontal plane with floatbowl oriented for proper operation. I don't know of any four barrel carb that is designed for sidedraft operation. What about SU carbs? They make some pretty honkin' sidedrafts!

oops sorry, forgot they were already mentioned.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2010 10:59 by seanbarney41.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2010 14:08 #405724 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic from four to two
OK, forget the Holley. How about a nice Weber? They make sidedraft carbs. You KNOW a Weber would look trick on any bike! Scroll to the bottom of the link for examples:

Weber Direct

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
10 Oct 2010 14:45 - 10 Oct 2010 15:35 #405738 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic from four to two
larrycavan wrote:

Interesting tests you did..... We should have a discussion on that in a new thread. There are some things I'd like to point out but I don't want to hijack this guys thread...

That would be great, but I'm betting very time consuming. I just barely started tinkering with it and ended up with pages and pages.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2010 15:35 by loudhvx.

• LLC
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Low Life Cycles
More
10 Oct 2010 19:30 #405837 by LLC
Replied by LLC on topic from four to two
55fbomb wrote:

the outside cylinders starve with a single carb log. why not use a twin carb log?

The far cylinders will not starve. Like i said. Auto manufactures have been using loy type intake on four and six cylinders for many years. Engines ranging from 1.0L to 5.2.L This will be no different.

"IF you're doing what you love and doing it well, all the small stuff will come, put your heart into it and you'll still be here when the others are gone!"

• LLC
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Low Life Cycles
More
10 Oct 2010 19:35 #405845 by LLC
seanbarney41 wrote:

LLC, as far as using the Holley as a sidedraft, it won't work because of the float bowls. Yeah, a holley on a straight six is to the side of the engine, but it's still a downdraft, the intake is pointed up. MC carbs are sidedraft, the intake is in the horizontal plane with floatbowl oriented for proper operation. I don't know of any four barrel carb that is designed for sidedraft operation. What about SU carbs? They make some pretty honkin' sidedrafts!

oops sorry, forgot they were already mentioned.

Simple fact is A downdraft carb would work, All I would have to do is make an up turn in the intake manifold. Like i said before Im not going to use a holley never did and never will. That wasnt my idea. Only reason why, is it would look god awful with a 500CFM 4 barrel which sticking out the side of my bike. That would look silly and ridiculous.

Not to mention even using a 2 barrel holley at 350 CFM is stupid, the stock 1.0L doesnt require such a large amount of air. so I would have to use TINY jets which would pretty much defeat the purpose of using such a carb, and render it useless.

"IF you're doing what you love and doing it well, all the small stuff will come, put your heart into it and you'll still be here when the others are gone!"

• LLC
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Low Life Cycles
More
10 Oct 2010 19:40 #405851 by LLC
650ed wrote:

OK, forget the Holley. How about a nice Weber? They make sidedraft carbs. You KNOW a Weber would look trick on any bike! Scroll to the bottom of the link for examples:

Weber Direct

I did consider using a weber, there great carbs, theyre cheap and readily available parts. But I dont want anything that big.

I have fitment issues due to the style frame and the mid controls. I have to keep it as small as possible otherwise itll be hitting my knee.

Im going to run either a BS34 Mikuni or a Bendix/Zenith.
I have six BS34's laying around im gonna try it with one of those first, see how it does. If i end up needing a larger carb ill check out the bendix.

• seanbarney41
  • User
  • '79 kz1000 LTD '75 Honda CB750
More
10 Oct 2010 19:53 #405856 by seanbarney41
Replied by seanbarney41 on topic from four to two
Ok LLC, I get ya now. I didn't really think you wanted to run a Holley. I was just shootin' the sh!+. Too bad the webers won't fit, I saw a stripped down Goldwing this summer that was runnin' downdraft Webers and it looked killer

• LLC
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Low Life Cycles
More
10 Oct 2010 20:08 #405863 by LLC
seanbarney41 wrote:

Ok LLC, I get ya now. I didn't really think you wanted to run a Holley. I was just shootin' the sh!+. Too bad the webers won't fit, I saw a stripped down Goldwing this summer that was runnin' downdraft Webers and it looked killer

Yah dont get me wrong I wish I could. But I dont want to slam my knee into the carb every time in need to hit the brakes quick ya know?

Those dual webers and badass. haha

Maybe the nest bike I do I might do something with a weber. The next one i build will have a stretched frame so the mid controls wont be so "mid" anymore. I might be able to fit something a little bigger then.

More
11 Oct 2010 13:52 #406008 by 55fbomb
Replied by 55fbomb on topic from four to two
I have talked to a lot of guys that used logs on cb750s and heard pretty much nothing good except they are different. good luck.

1974 CB750
1975 CB750
197? CB750 mutt
1977 KZ1000

• LLC
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Low Life Cycles
More
11 Oct 2010 22:29 #406080 by LLC
55fbomb wrote:

I have talked to a lot of guys that used logs on cb750s and heard pretty much nothing good except they are different. good luck.

I dont understand why everyone is having hard time with this. Almost every auto manufacturer for the last 20 or more years has been creating vehicles with 4 and 6 cylinder engines with log style intakes. from carbs to fuel injection. this is not a new concept nor difficult. In fact itll be much easier to accomplish due to a motorcycle engine not needing the kind of atomization a larger engine would require. Its pretty cut and dry folks.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
12 Oct 2010 03:13 #406087 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic from four to two
LLC wrote:

55fbomb wrote:

I dont understand why everyone is having hard time with this. Almost every auto manufacturer for the last 20 or more years has been creating vehicles with 4 and 6 cylinder engines with log style intakes. from carbs to fuel injection. this is not a new concept nor difficult. In fact itll be much easier to accomplish due to a motorcycle engine not needing the kind of atomization a larger engine would require. Its pretty cut and dry folks.

Post some photos of what you're working with for space restrictions....

More
12 Oct 2010 05:48 #406105 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic from four to two
LLC wrote:
4 and 6 cylinder engines with log style intakes. from carbs to fuel injection. [/quote]

I've only seen "log-type" intakes for multi point FI. I'm not saying your project won't work, but any throttle-body FI or carb usually has runners (ideally) close to equal length.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125