from four to two

More
09 Oct 2010 10:35 #405477 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic from four to two
JR wrote:

A few year back a member here - biquetoast I think - put a single carb on a 650.

Nope, it was The Milkman - here´s a link to the original thread:

kzrider.com/archive/viewthread.php?tid=23259#pid202597

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2010 16:33 #405524 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic from four to two
LLC wrote:

Ive seen a CB750 run the same setup with an SU it worked real well.

I wont be using an Su but most likely stayin with the mikuni, or possibly a Bendix.

Nah, don't be a wimp! Here's the carb you need:

Holley 750 CFM

:P

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
09 Oct 2010 19:15 #405578 by JR
Replied by JR on topic from four to two
OnkelB wrote:

JR wrote:

A few year back a member here - biquetoast I think - put a single carb on a 650.

Nope, it was The Milkman - here´s a link to the original thread:

kzrider.com/archive/viewthread.php?tid=23259#pid202597

Ah yes, The Milkman !!!!
Told you my memory was hazy. :laugh: I did;nt even get the carb right. It was a stromberg.
Thanks OnkelB.

I should bookmark that thread.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• LLC
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Low Life Cycles
More
09 Oct 2010 20:40 #405588 by LLC
Replied by LLC on topic from four to two
650ed wrote:

LLC wrote:

I wont be using an Su but most likely stayin with the mikuni, or possibly a Bendix.

Holley 750 CFM

Thats retarded...

"IF you're doing what you love and doing it well, all the small stuff will come, put your heart into it and you'll still be here when the others are gone!"

More
09 Oct 2010 20:56 #405594 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic from four to two
LLC wrote:

650ed wrote:

LLC wrote:

Holley 750 CFM

Thats retarded...

True, but you gotta consider the source. :P

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• seanbarney41
  • User
  • '79 kz1000 LTD '75 Honda CB750
More
10 Oct 2010 01:39 #405620 by seanbarney41
Replied by seanbarney41 on topic from four to two
Holley can be made to work on anything....except sidedraft:(

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
10 Oct 2010 05:36 #405627 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic from four to two
loudhvx wrote:

Different length intake runners will pull different vacuum on the carbs. It is important to remember that the vacuum comes in pulses and the air pressure tries to accomodate these pulses. But air has momentum.

It would not be an issue if the vacuum was constant.

I did small scale modeling of the effects of port volume here. It also shows why a tuned port will get you more CFM with equal vacuum pulses from a cylinder.

I also did an electrical anlog model of it to confirm. (Electricity has many analogs in fluid dynamics.)

It's a lot of reading, though. Scroll down past the manometer stuff to the "further discussion".

home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Manomet.../ManometerNotes.html

Interesting tests you did..... We should have a discussion on that in a new thread. There are some things I'd like to point out but I don't want to hijack this guys thread...

• LLC
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Low Life Cycles
More
10 Oct 2010 06:29 #405632 by LLC
seanbarney41 wrote:

Holley can be made to work on anything....except sidedraft:(

Why wouldnt it work on a side draft? Ever heard of a straight six? All the fords chevy and dodge straight six's used downdraft carbs. Thats just angles in the intake manifold. that doesnt matter. Providing youre not working against gravity there is no reason why it wouldnt work.

"IF you're doing what you love and doing it well, all the small stuff will come, put your heart into it and you'll still be here when the others are gone!"

• LLC
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Low Life Cycles
More
10 Oct 2010 06:30 #405633 by LLC
larrycavan wrote:

loudhvx wrote:

Different length intake runners will pull different vacuum on the carbs. It is important to remember that the vacuum comes in pulses and the air pressure tries to accomodate these pulses. But air has momentum.

It would not be an issue if the vacuum was constant.

I did small scale modeling of the effects of port volume here. It also shows why a tuned port will get you more CFM with equal vacuum pulses from a cylinder.

I also did an electrical anlog model of it to confirm. (Electricity has many analogs in fluid dynamics.)

It's a lot of reading, though. Scroll down past the manometer stuff to the "further discussion".

home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Manomet.../ManometerNotes.html

Interesting tests you did..... We should have a discussion on that in a new thread. There are some things I'd like to point out but I don't want to hijack this guys thread...

Please, buy all means. Who knows we all might learn something.

More
10 Oct 2010 06:48 #405637 by 55fbomb
Replied by 55fbomb on topic from four to two
I frequent the Honda boards too because i have a cb750 and have seen all sorts of opinions on this topic. Cycle x makes great stuff and ken is a super nice guy to deal with and will lead you in the right direction. i have heard that those twin carbs run awesome but can be a real pain to tune. i have talked with guys about log manifolds and didnt hear too many people saying a lot of good about them. i did work on this guys suzuki samari one time that had a single carb off a harley with an aftermarket manifold that lookes like it would work great but it was long. i will try to find a pic.

www.zuksoffroad.com/MY-SIDE-2-Harley-Car...it-wintake_p_16.html

this had to runners out of each side that turned 90 degrees, then split into two more, it seemed to distribute air and fuel well between all cylinders, which was everyones complaint about the log. i want to build one for my cb750 if i ever get the time.

1974 CB750
1975 CB750
197? CB750 mutt
1977 KZ1000

• LLC
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Low Life Cycles
More
10 Oct 2010 06:54 #405638 by LLC
55fbomb wrote:

I frequent the Honda boards too because i have a cb750 and have seen all sorts of opinions on this topic. Cycle x makes great stuff and ken is a super nice guy to deal with and will lead you in the right direction. i have heard that those twin carbs run awesome but can be a real pain to tune. i have talked with guys about log manifolds and didnt hear too many people saying a lot of good about them. i did work on this guys suzuki samari one time that had a single carb off a harley with an aftermarket manifold that lookes like it would work great but it was long. i will try to find a pic.

www.zuksoffroad.com/MY-SIDE-2-Harley-Car...it-wintake_p_16.html

this had to runners out of each side that turned 90 degrees, then split into two more, it seemed to distribute air and fuel well between all cylinders, which was everyones complaint about the log. i want to build one for my cb750 if i ever get the time.

That would be a very good way to do it But not every bike has a frame that will allow that. Mine certainly does not. from 1.0L to 3.5L engines have been using Log type intakes for over 20 years now. This isnt something new that needs to be studied. Its a very simply concept. Providing IM not 6 feet away form the engine i will have no vacuum problems.

More
10 Oct 2010 07:17 #405639 by 55fbomb
Replied by 55fbomb on topic from four to two
the outside cylinders starve with a single carb log. why not use a twin carb log?

1974 CB750
1975 CB750
197? CB750 mutt
1977 KZ1000