from four to two

• LLC
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Low Life Cycles
More
07 Oct 2010 03:49 #404786 by LLC
from four to two was created by LLC
Got a quick question, Im doing a custom intake on my kz1 and im only going to be using two of the bs34 mikunis. any body got a good idea the size of jets ill need to make sure this works correctly?

"IF you're doing what you love and doing it well, all the small stuff will come, put your heart into it and you'll still be here when the others are gone!"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2010 05:32 #404809 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic from four to two
Jetting may be the least of your problems. The carb was designed to flow fuel and air for one cyl and now it needs to provide for two. Can it flow enough air for both? I would think a larger carb would be needed? Can you give us more details or pics of your design? B)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
07 Oct 2010 05:45 #404810 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic from four to two
You can run the same carbs because you are not drawing to both cylinders at the same time but you will have to use one carb on cylinders 1&4 and the other on cylinders 2&3. Otherwise you will have asymmetrical air flow. The air flow will be 180* out of phase and this will supply more air to one cylinder than to the other if you use one carb on 1&2 and the other on 3&4. This will happen because one cylinder will speed up the air flow for the other but not in reverse. So Yes, to agree with Bluemeanie, jetting will be the least of your problems.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
07 Oct 2010 07:18 #404819 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic from four to two
otakar wrote:

You can run the same carbs because you are not drawing to both cylinders at the same time but you will have to use one carb on cylinders 1&4 and the other on cylinders 2&3. Otherwise you will have asymmetrical air flow. The air flow will be 180* out of phase and this will supply more air to one cylinder than to the other if you use one carb on 1&2 and the other on 3&4. This will happen because one cylinder will speed up the air flow for the other but not in reverse. So Yes, to agree with Bluemeanie, jetting will be the least of your problems.

+1 - 2 carbs is not ideal, and makes for serious headaches.

Been there, done that.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• LLC
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Low Life Cycles
More
07 Oct 2010 15:02 #405001 by LLC
Replied by LLC on topic from four to two
Ive seen it done, and it worked wonderfully, I know there is a way to do, so. Considering big bore Harley's will run off one 32mm carb all day. I don't believe that will be my issue. And we all know how screwy Harley timing is hahaha

I am new to motorcycle engines, but Ive built many hot rods and street rods with all kinds of different intake setups and Ive never encountered anything of the sort.

I appreciate the advice and warnings but If i could get the original question answered, that too would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

"IF you're doing what you love and doing it well, all the small stuff will come, put your heart into it and you'll still be here when the others are gone!"

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
07 Oct 2010 15:42 #405010 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic from four to two
Years ago (late 70's) they sold a 4 into 1 intake manifold, for z1's. It had a single flat slide carb, for all cylinders. I can't remember the name, but the carb was purple.....It was flat slide, with no float bowls.

• LLC
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Low Life Cycles
More
07 Oct 2010 15:45 #405011 by LLC
Hmm Ill try to find something on that. thank you.

More
07 Oct 2010 15:50 #405013 by otakar
Doing it on a two cylinder is completely different than doing it on a four cylinder. When both cylinders are at TDC at the same time but fire alternately it is no problem. This is why I stated in my first post that if you use one carb on cylinders 1/4 and the other carb on 2/3 than it will work fine. But not on 1/2 and 3/4 That will not work because one is at TDC while the other is at BDC. ALL 4-cycle twins run both cylinders at TDC at the same time. This is why you can run a single carb. The only way you can do it on a 4 cylinder is if you run a cross manifold, connecting all four cylinders together. And even than you will not have precise metering to all four cylinders. If you make two manifolds of equal length connecting cylinders 1/4 and 2/3 than the metering will be equal and two carbs will work fine. Comparing a twin to a four is like comparing a hawk to a duck they are of equal size and they both have wings. But if you try to feed them the same way, at least one of them will dye.

74 Z1-A stock
77 KZ-1000A stock
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
82 KZ1000

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
07 Oct 2010 15:51 #405014 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic from four to two
LLC wrote:

Hmm Ill try to find something on that. thank you.

You might be able to find some old magazine ads, with that setup in it. I can find, a picture of the carb, at the library....Maybe it's on a CB750 honda.

• LLC
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Low Life Cycles
More
07 Oct 2010 16:00 #405016 by LLC
I hear what you're saying, I see your point. Good analogy by the way haha. Ill look more into it. Unfortunately the new frame design will not permit me to make a manifold large enough to cross over. that would be a strange manifold either way.

More
07 Oct 2010 16:12 #405020 by otakar
That is how Jaguar used to do it on the straight six when they used to run 3 carbs. This is also why Kawasaki did not put three carbs on the 1300 because it did not work. They wound up mounting three two barrels. You might contemplate mounting two of those two barrels. That will give you two carbs but four individual fuel supplys.

74 Z1-A stock
77 KZ-1000A stock
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
82 KZ1000

• LLC
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Low Life Cycles
More
07 Oct 2010 16:23 #405021 by LLC
As intriguing of an idea as it is. There is just no room for anything like that. Its either two or four. And so far it looks like I might be stuck with the four.

I would like to do a single carb off to the side of the engine. But i fear vacuum wont be great enough especially on 1 and 2.